Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a dog on a ski hol?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd love to take our dag with us this season, just for a couple of weeks, I'm savvy with all the doggy regs etc but how easy is it to get a chalet/apartment/hotel which will accept our pooch? I've tried a few websites, but no-one seems to be keen!!
Does anyone have any experience with this and can point me in the right direction?? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you're more than likely find a private chalet to take you, especially if they have their own dog.

The thing you'll need to give some thought to is what you're going to do with the dog when you go skiing.

Most chalet owners won't be too keen to "Dog sit" for you or for you to leave the dog unattended in the chalet.... so you're left with using your car as a kennel which is ok provided you have one of the "insulated dog cages".....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sprinkles, I believe that Chris Brookes often takes his pet wolves wink to Murren, see this thread. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies, some of our party don't ski!!(I know), but that suits me as they're happy to walk with the dog and mooch around...the search continues..I'll check the 'Chris Brookes' thread out Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Love the doggy pics, love the snowy pics more.......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells has a chalet in Monetier (Serre Chevalier) and they take their dog, so presumably might be OK with doggy tenants. http://www.chamoissiere.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you DIY, I remeber quite a lot smaller B&Bs in Austria will allow pets. I would love to take mine one day Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When we drive, we always take the dog to our apartment and allow people renting to do the same.

If you are thinking about Switzerland, www.rentalp.ch allows you to search for properties that allow pets.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Lodge has a dog if you don't want to take your own Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sprinkles, we take our dog with us all the time, and, she is welcome in nearly all hotels in France on our journey down. We're quite happy to accept other pooches in our apartment, as long as you clean up after them. Freddie Paellahead, thanks for the plug. Happy . Happy for them to stay in the apartment, as long as they are not likely to chew the furniture, are used to being left during the day, and you can keep them off the bed (shut the door). We have some throws you can use on the sofa if you need them for when you have to leave them during the day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for replying
I've pm'd you Hells Bells, but I've never done that before so hopefully you'll receive it ok!! Ours is the perfect guest, not allowed on sofa or bed (yuk), doesn't chew or make nasty smells!! Little Angel
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
taking the woofer for its first season come November, yay!

sprinkles, I know its slightly different looking for for holiday accomodation rather than seasonal but we found blanket "no pets" declarations on websites etc were very negotiable with a phone call. Once you make clear you'll tidy up after it, a lot of folk relent.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sprinkles, PM received.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi we drive and take our two dogs to the French Alps (usually La Plagne) - they love the snow! We either book direct with PV/MGM or through Erna Lowe. They readily accept pets and we usually just pay a small supplement in the resort, also if we stop over en route F1's etc are fine with dogs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks so much for the info...I'm onto it.... Very Happy
latest report
What would you want to? Far too much hastle.
snow conditions
Please take plenty of sandwich bags with you. I hate seeing dog poo-poo on the snow.
ski holidays
bar shaker, me too, which is why there is a pile of poop bags in the cupboard.

Quote:

What would you want to? Far too much hastle.

johnboy It's far less hassle than taking small child !! Honestly. We don't always have anyone to look after the dog, and cos she was a rescue dog, if we take her to kennels she frets. Not to mention julesb crying into his pint cos he's missing his doggy !!!
She jumps in the car in Durham, jumps out in FRance (with a few comfort stops in between), she is allowed in all the restaurants and hotels. Curls up in her bed in a lovely warm apartment while we are skiing, and comes out with us every evening. She goes to the boulangerie in the morning for the croissants, and waits inside until JulesB catches her up.
In summer, she goes for long walks every day.
I can't imagine not taking our dog on holiday, and I'm glad we decided to get her passport. I can see that it would be more of a problem to travel with one from NI though.
ski holidays
Quote:

The thing you'll need to give some thought to is what you're going to do with the dog when you go skiing.

Thats easy - take the dog with you! Our dog loves his 10 km morning run down a nice blue slope, though he does protest a bit on the steeper reds. Just need to take care with the skis - he got a nasty cut on his paw once when a ski sliced into him. Then, back to the chalet and he'll happily sleep for the rest of the day, until time for a leisurely stroll around the village befofe dinner.
latest report
Hells Bells,

Fair enough. It sounds like you have a very well trained, easy going dog which would make all the difference.
snow conditions
What I would say is that dogs usually LOVE snow from what I can see and the mountain fresh air and general excitement of a ski resort means dogs love it.

As long as the dog is well trained and not too large then we are cool having a dog in our place. www.freshchalets.co.uk in Val d'isere.
snow report
gra, how'd you get the dog up the lift? Cable-car or gondola or does it run alongside you/underneath you on pomas/chairs?
snow report
Quote:

gra, how'd you get the dog up the lift? Cable-car or gondola or does it run alongside you/underneath you on pomas/chairs?

... the lift operator on one of the beginner chairlifts in Val - his dog 'comes to work' each day and whenever the lifties are swapping between top and bottom stations - about once every hour or so the dog pounds up/down the piste underneath the chair his owner is on barking away... its quite entertaining and I am sure the dog gets a hell of a workout!

Also slightly off topic but I wrote this article about working dogs in Whistler a few years ago - the picture I took shows the dog on the chairlift - so it can be done (from memory Nora the dog took it totally in her stride!).

See: http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Features/Avalanche_awareness/A_day_with_ski_patrollers/index.html
ski holidays
I agree that dogs love the snow, certainly ours did...... to see her excitement when the 1st snow falls was really heartwarming... she was mre excited than we were...

As for taking them on the lifts, during the summer there wasn't an issue but they were "Strictly Interdit" during the winter season (except Pisteurs dogs), we did occassionally take her up by road and run down the piste with me skiing (just like we do during the summer when we went out on the Mountain Bike) but we stopped as we felt it was too dangerous with so many other skiers/boarders around..
ski holidays
We were out in Monetier early last November with the dog. She is normally quite relaxed and waits until we get up before asking to go out. This morning it was still dark, and she was pawing at hubby tog et him out of bed, because it had snowed during the night, and she was so excited.
ski holidays
remember and buy your pooch a pair of poochy shades.... i remember talking to a rescue dog handler in claviere a couple of years ago - they use st bernards - and the dogs go blind from the time spent in the snow after around 6 years of work Sad
snow conditions
We are taking our two westies to Les Arc at Xmas. They love the snow. We have two flashing LED collars for piste walking also....for the dogs of course
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
sprinkles, I believe that Chris Brookes often takes his pet wolves wink to Murren, see this thread. Toofy Grin

Mad Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My dog loves snow too. He's not been on a ski trip, but this thread is making me rethink it as a possibility... Very Happy
Chris Brookes, your "wolves" look gorgeous!!!
latest report
wigan, we love our dogs too !!

We can't believe they are 10 years old this year

snow report
Chris Brookes, they're still gorgeous . Just got Meg a replacement passport yesterday, as the original one was full !!!
snow conditions
If you take your dog to the Glacier be sure to have it fitted with Doggles snowHead

snow report
I saw a german shepherd in Bansko that rode the chiar lifts. It was so keen to get back up the piste it would bypass the que and jump on the first empty seat it saw. It's owner then followed along and the dog was waiting for him at to top. Once on the chair it just sat quiet. Unlike others I've seen on piste though, intead of chasing it's owner it ran down the edge of the piste out of the way of other skiers.

adrian
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy