Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compression turns. Help please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A couple of weeks ago I did the 'mogul skills' clinic run by Inside Out at Hemel.

Central to the clinic was absorption of the bumps by using down umweighted compression turns. I found this very hard, I've been skiing (on and off) for 20 years using only up unweighted turns.

I was back at Hemel yesterday to practise for a couple of hours. although I think I occasionally got the weighting correct I found I was having all sorts of timing problems. The main one being the timing of the pole plant. What I feel I'm doing at the moment ( doing a compression turn on a flat piste) is everything happening simultaneously, pulling my heels up under me, transferring weight to the new outside ski and pole planting. I suspect this is wrong!!

I've tried to find video links showing compression turns on a flat piste but haven't found much apart from this short one

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_technique/Moguls/4_Compression_Turns.html

Can anyone please give me some tips for getting the timing of these turns worked out, or link me to more video clips?

P.S. I don't really want clips of people doing these turns in bumps (too much going on) I want to see them in ordinary terrain.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
[/url]

Edit. Grammer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spud9, pole plant wants to be at the same time as edge change, with the compression/absorption reaching the maximum amount of flex at the same time. So as you approach the end of the turn start to flex in a progressive movement until you are as fully flexed as you can be then make the pole plant/edge change. As you start the next turn progressively stretch the legs out. That clip by Warren is a good one and shows the timing well, I don't know if there are any others you need to see. Just keep playing with it and you will feel when you get it right. You were getting it on some of the turns you made last month at Hemel, so you're just looking to make everything work a bit smoother (no sudden retraction or extension movements) and work on consistency so you can link compression turns without letting the timing get screwy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spud9, go to the following link and have a look at the "CROSS THROUGH" entry. It shows the retraction/compression transition you're looking for, in slow motion, pole plant included. Also, for contrast, have a look at the "CROSS OVER" entry. It's an example of the up move transition you're used to doing.

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/C.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Rob and Fastman. I'll follow your advice Rob and keep practising.

Thanks for the video links Fastman. At the moment I can't get the embedded videos to play, I'll devote some time to the problem (the IT problem) this evening. I was vaguely aware of the terms 'cross over, under, through' from browsing this forum, but hadn't realised that they were basically the modern terms for up unweighted and down unweighted turns.

Thinking about it, the cross over/ through naming is possibly a more appropriate naming system as it focuses on what is being achieved (edge transition) rather than part of the means of achieving it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spud9, one of the things I found useful is to do the absorption bit in a straight line - so you only have one thing to worry about. In Tignes when I had lessons in October a couple of years ago there was quite a big ridge down the side of the piste we were using (a blue piste) and the instructor had us going over that one day - over it, then turn on the flat the other side then back over the ridge in the other direction, and so on. It was a big booger, and irregular in shape and size, so if you got it wrong you were likely to fly off the top. You had to be quick, and get the legs up under you decisively, but not have to turn at the same time. In LDA there is a succession of big "rollers" which we did with Fastman - same kind of idea, but they're more regular and gentle and not so scary. I also try to look for little bumps to turn on, on regular pistes - my performance in proper bumps is doleful but very slowly improving. Those little pathways through trees, over the tree roots, that kids love so much are also useful - though I find them scary. My legs do one or two ups and downs OK, then forget where they are!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,

Yes, the absorption thing in a straight line is probably a good idea.

I've been doing the 'turn on a single lump or across a ridge' thing for years, but now know I've been doing it all wrong. What I've always done is a standard up unweight on the top of the lump/ridge then turn the skies when I'm pretty much airborne and head off in the new direction as I land. It works fine on easy terrain but it's a disaster in mogul fields. I now know why.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bumps...oh how I wish I could ski them well!!!! "I have to learn to love the bumps" is what I say to myself daily and I ski bumps daily!!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spud9 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I did the 'mogul skills' clinic run by Inside Out at Hemel.

Central to the clinic was absorption of the bumps by using down umweighted compression turns. I found this very hard, I've been skiing (on and off) for 20 years using only up unweighted turns.

I was back at Hemel yesterday to practise for a couple of hours. although I think I occasionally got the weighting correct I found I was having all sorts of timing problems. The main one being the timing of the pole plant. What I feel I'm doing at the moment ( doing a compression turn on a flat piste) is everything happening simultaneously, pulling my heels up under me, transferring weight to the new outside ski and pole planting. I suspect this is wrong!!

I've tried to find video links showing compression turns on a flat piste but haven't found much apart from this short one

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_technique/Moguls/4_Compression_Turns.html

Can anyone please give me some tips for getting the timing of these turns worked out, or link me to more video clips?

P.S. I don't really want clips of people doing these turns in bumps (too much going on) I want to see them in ordinary terrain.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
[/url]

Edit. Grammer.

Phew - glad I wasn't the only one that thought they were ridiculously hard Laughing Although not sure I could express why quite so well as you Spud9
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SamM,
Quote:

glad I wasn't the only one
you certainly weren't, but I do believe it's easier on proper moguls - which will tell you, as you fly into orbit, exactly when you've got your timing wrong. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
SamM,
Quote:

glad I wasn't the only one
you certainly weren't, but I do believe it's easier on proper moguls - which will tell you, as you fly into orbit, exactly when you've got your timing wrong. Toofy Grin

Hmm, I think I managed that even on the smallest of mogullettes so doing it on proper moguls will be interesting Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alexchapman wrote:
Bumps...oh how I wish I could ski them well!!!! "I have to learn to love the bumps" is what I say to myself daily and I ski bumps daily!!!!

Good advice. "Love the bumps" and you are half way there for sure Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bumps are for chumps is one of my favourite skiing mottos wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, I reckon it was the same for the piste-basher drivers at most of the resorts I visited last year Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is someone's sig on another forum - "It's not that you can't ski the bumps. You can't ski and the bumps prove it." Love it! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spud9, you will need the latest quicktime plug in/update and you should be right... They are just Quicktime movies
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy