Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So where does it all go?

Poster: A snowHead
the snow at Hemel and other indoor snow centres? They make snow all the time, it is always below freezing but the levels are always going down not up. Does it melt, get compacted, turn into ice or what?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sublimation at the top. Melting at the bottom.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a big crash there one time and swallowed a fair bit. Must learn to keep my mouth closed when wiping out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
80% of the snow which falls on the mountains evaporates so the atmosphere in a snowdome must be quite damp! In the enclosed box of a snow centre that's probably why it can feel so damn cold, even though a few degrees below freezing out on a mountain top, with no wind, would feel almost balmy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, i wondered about sublimation as it can be quite foggy in there from time to time, i just put it down to a lot of heavy breathing but sublimation would make sense. i had always assumed some melt off but they have glycol pipes under the snow and there is an ice layer below the snowpack so i doubt much melts but cant say for sure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,
Quote:

80% of the snow which falls on the mountains evaporates

interesting where did you learn that?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't remember - but I remember believing it at the time so it must have been a reliable source. wink That's why the depth can go down quite fast even when it's v cold and nothing is melting at all - the mountain air is very dry so I suppose it sucks it up pretty effectively, even when there isn't a foehn wind, which can eat up inches in a day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw a bunch of snow being dumped at the side of of Castleford once... what I've always wondered is, can they make snow and have indoor pow? If you leave the taps on do you get a room full of snow?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied in MK when they've had the snow machines running. Very unpleasant and very cold.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think most of it leaves on snowboarders butt's Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

can they make snow and have indoor pow

I suspect they can't. After all, only a small proportion of the stuff that falls out of the sky is powder (despite the determination of some people to call everything "pow" even if it's wet as anything and squishes down like a slice of Mother's Pride). The atmosphere is probably not dry enough. wrong droplet size, or whatever.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think most of it leaves in snowboarders butt craics

Fixed it for you
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The snowdomes seem to vary quite a bit in terms of temperature. I always feel too hot at Tamworth and tend to just ski in jeans, a sweater and thin gloves. But I remember feeling a little cooler at both Hemel and CFe, in fact I remember the temperature sign at CFe said -6º. I daresay the snow must melt with use.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The bottom of my old ski pants fill up with snow, Sorry its my fault Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't they have melt pits of some kind they dump a load of old snow in (the dirty stuff from the top?)
ski holidays
queen bodecia, jeans? Could you pick more impractical snow wear Laughing
latest report
scotia wrote:
queen bodecia, jeans? Could you pick more impractical snow wear Laughing

bikini?

LMAO @ rob btw
snow report
Nowt wrong with jeans at Tamworth. Like I said, it's too warm for salopettes.
ski holidays
But jeans? Reminds me of the days when they were actually seen on the piste...

If you don't have shell salopettes then at least wear tracky bums or similar...never jeans!! Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

never jeans!!

so there you are, queen bodecia, you've been told! You're deluded to think that you were perfectly comfortable in your jeans. wink
snow report
Quote:

at least wear tracky bums

have I missed something on the new equipment thread wink
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Don't they have melt pits of some kind they dump a load of old snow in (the dirty stuff from the top?)

At Ski Dubai that's exactly what they do - but with the cruddy stuff from the bottom of the slopes. As it melts, the 'coolth' is used to help the A/C system. So altho' the whole affair is still nuts it's at least attempting to minimise the energy consumption.
ski holidays
Dehumidifiers take away some snow depth. The trashed stuff gets pushed outside into the melt pit.
snow conditions
beanie1, but why? Salopettes are too warm and tracky bums are too baggy (I'm not a boarder!).
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
But jeans? Reminds me of the days when they were actually seen on the piste...

If you don't have shell salopettes then at least wear tracky bums or similar...never jeans!! Confused

you still see jeans on the piste everytime Cairngorm has a decent dump Smile
snow conditions
queen bodecia, you wear your jeans - it's your choice! Booming 'eck, they'll be telling you to wear a helmet next rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
maggi wrote:
queen bodecia, you wear your jeans - it's your choice! Booming 'eck, they'll be telling you to wear a helmet next rolling eyes Laughing

What? you mean she doesn't already? Shocked
snow conditions
I wear a helmet for riding my motorcycle. That is all. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
I wear a helmet for riding my motorcycle. That is all. Very Happy

Any relation to Lady Godiva? Shocked Laughing
snow report
All the snow is soaked up by queen bodecia's jeans. Glad we cleared that one up.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Does it melt, get compacted, turn into ice or what?

It melts and some may then evaporate.
A miniscule amount may sublimate but this would be such a tiny amount as to be almost non-existent, due to a lack of the large amount of energy that sublimation requires - note the sun provides (technical term here) shed loads of energy for sublimation, and the lower the pressure (ie, higher up) the less energy is required. Which is why you get more sublimation of snow higher up and why snow gets slushy lower down. It's also colder higher up (for extremely complex reasons) so the snow lower down gets slushier quicker.
latest report
queen bodecia, because jeans can rub and be uncomfy if they get damp.

And most important of all, you'll look like you've wandered out of the 1980s wink Smile
snow conditions
beanie1, what ya tryin' to say like? My jeans don't get damp! Laughing

And this is only Tamworth we're talking about after all.
snow conditions
Mr HL says that sublimation is to change from solid to gas without becoming a liquid. Carbon Dioxide does this ice/snow will always go through a liquid phase before becoming water vapour.

er.... questions and cries of disbelief direct to Mr HL please (4 years Hons degree in materials science). Also, BTW, the fogginess is out of balance air con (he worked for the company that did the ice rinks and bobsleigh runs at Lillehammer winter olympics)
ski holidays
holidayloverxx,
Have a good read of this - but remember I wrote it as the lecture notes for a lecture to a ski group so I have cut out most of the technical stuff.
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/pages/folgarida_other_articles_physics.html
There will be a test later Smile
ski holidays
Was in the Hemel fridge today so made a point of considering "where it all goes". I'm going to say evaporation. It's cold in there but also decidedly clammy and that humidity must becoming from evaporating schnee. No?
snow report
Bode Swiller, The humidity could also come from people breathing out.
ski holidays
Wayne, so as the altitude indoors is virtually sea level, no wind and no sunlight to provide energy sublimation will be negligible which leaves melting or physical removal by the piste bully.

as temp is generally held between -2 and -6 and glycol pipes are between the foundations on the hill, an ice layer then the snow i dont see how there is appreciable snow melt going on... i guess pressure from skis melts the snow as the skis compress the snow and then there may be evaporation which is removed by de humidifiers ? i cant imagine that is significant but what do i know i sucked at physics. Toofy Grin , my physics professor was a nun who was so boring she was known as Sister Sominex
snow conditions
skimottaret,
Last (and only) time I was down at Hemel there was an obvious reason for the lowering of the snow levels. Snowboarders were sitting all over the place. This saturation of the available space by brown baggy trousers will cause a quick rising of the dude levels, thus making the snow disappear as if by magic.

skimottaret wrote:
as temp is generally held between -2 and -6 and glycol pipes are between the foundations on the hill, an ice layer then the snow i dont see how there is appreciable snow melt going on...

You may be right never really though about it much. Best bet would be to ask the firm that designed the snow making equip. Remember though the melt can take place quite rapidly (relatively) even if the ambient temp is below 0. I would hazard a guess that the snow in your big fridge gets much friction than a normal alpine run – friction is not just ski and boards going over it (although this will play its part), it’s also each time the snow is moved (snowplough, side slip, etc), so even if it’s not skied over there will still be some lose of mass. But like I said, never really given it much thought and don’t know anything about how the big fridges work to even give a reasonable calc’.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 10-08-10 19:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

my physics professor was a nun

bad habits! springs to mind via a huge jet turn compressing god knows how much snow?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy