Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Gap Year

Poster: A snowHead
Im sure a question like this has probably been asked before but I thought i would just start a fresh new one Smile

I am looking to ski for a whole season in my gap year, i would hope to do this by going on a ski intructor course and then hopefully teach for the rest of that season.

I have looked at all the ski intsructor course websites, but of course they all look amazing. I would hope to be able to do a ski instructor course for about a month for around 4k and then hopefully using the qualification teach and then the rest of the season would not be too expesive.

I would like to know how easy it is to get a job instructing after just a short course for example a 1 month course.

Ski le gap do a 1 month course in canada for £3200 which looks pretty decent.

Any help or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tomo54, I cant help on the Ski instructor side, but I am sure someone will be along soon with all the info.

If you just want to ski a whole season then it is possible on a limited amount of money, we met a young Scottish guy last season who was only 17 he was doing his first season on a very small budget, he stayed in digs just below Peisey (Les Arcs) and with the friends and contacts he made did the whole season bar the last 2 weeks. I am pretty sure his whole budget was 4k to 5k its probably worth asking on Natives as well, good reference point.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tomo54, go West Coast if you are going to do Canada. Bigger mountains and better snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First, go check out natives.co.uk for seasons advice.

I did a Peak Leaders course in St Anton for a month in 08/09, got my anwarter, and worked for the rest of the season - the job was sorted by Peak Leaders, so that course is probs worth checking out. They also have them in other places, but my money was tight - I paid £3250.

Working as a chalet host is probs the easiest way to do it though, and probs also the best for proper slope time - again, check natives.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tomo54, if you are looking to ski for a whole season I'm not sure that doing instructing is the best option for you. If you do get teaching hours it's likely to be beginners and early intermediates who form the majority of your clients, so while you might be on skis you're going to be pottering around on gentle slopes worrying about how good your plough-parallel turns are. Is that the kind of skiing that you'd be happy to spend a lot of your time doing?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tomo54,
Quote:

Which qualification does this lead to? Speak to Ski Le Gap and ask them honestly what your chances are of getting work in Canada after the course. It may be that the short 1 month course only gives you CSIA L1, and I don't know how much work you'd get with that.

An alternative option might be to go the BASI route and do the courses on their own rather than as part of a gap course. You could do the L1 course indoors in the UK, and do the 70 shadowing hours you need also in the UK. Use the money you would have spent on a gap year course paying your living costs in a Swiss resort for the winter, and try to do your L2 early on in the season. You will probably not get a huge amount of work in your first season, but certainly during peak weeks in Feb and at Easter you should. You could also try and do a few weeks here and there with companies like Interski and Skiing Europe.

The option described above would need you to already be at or near the level needed to pass your L2 already. If you're not at that level yet then a gap year course is a great way to develop your personal performance by training over an extended period.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, my mate actually did that Ski le Gap course at the same time as I did my Peak Leaders one. He did only get level 1, but also got offered a job there for the season (Tremblant). The accommodation set up seemed weird though, no ski school accom, they had to sort their own place, and he ended up living like a 40 minute walk away form the resort.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The accommodation set up seemed weird though, no ski school accom,

is there any "ski school accommodation" anywhere?

If you have that sort of money you can do a season with much more exciting skiing. Share a skanky apartment, get to know a few local bars where you can do a few hours work (after ski time) and meet others to go skiing with. On the other hand, if you want to spend weeks perfecting your snowploughs and then possibly teaching them to others.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, it would seem to be the norm in Austria for ski schools to provide accommodation for the instructors, usually not for free, but at VERY good rates - that's based on my personal experience in St Anton and Saalbach, and from mates who've worked in Kitzbuhel and Ehrwald. I don't know about elsewhere though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, the same for the ski schools in the Sportwelt Amade area in Salzburgerland as well. When I worked for the ski school in St Johann in Tirol I was provided with a single room in a farmhouse pension outside of Oberndorf. The accommodation provided in the Salzburgerland area is not too bad from what I've heard and seen, certainly not "skanky" rabbit-hutches or garages/basements. As most of the staff are locals or have relatives in the area, they do not have to be accommodated, it is only the ex-pat instructors that have to be found digs. I was one of only a small handful of "foreign" instructors working with the Red Devils.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tomo54, if you're not planning on making a career out of instruction, IMHO, doing one of these courses is daft. As mentioned before, you'll spend much of your time doing stuff you don't want to do.

Do you want to be down on the nursery slopes doing childcare with 10 kids when your mates are up top shredding powder? I doubt it.

Much better, I think, to find a local job (so you'll learn a language as well maybe) ideally an evening bar job so you can spend the days skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey,

I personally did a BASI gap year (9 years ago now!) and it was the best thing I ever did!

Originally it meant to be "gap year" before I went to university and now i'm going into my 10th season having gone through the BASI system, set up a Ski School (the development centre, Tignes) and a Gap year programme myself in Tignes, France.

Pros and cons of doing a gap year.

The only down side to Gap years are that they are a relatively expensive way of gaining ski instructor qualifications as you are paying for an extensive period of time in the mountains, (however if you compare it to the cost of a 10 week all inclusive holiday it isn't as bad as it first seems!)

Doing a gap year as opposed to doing the BASI modules individually allows you to get a true feel of doing a ski season and what seasonal and ski instructing life is all about. Which then allows you to make a decision, it is for you or not! It puts you in the thick of things and gives you time in resort in a non exam atmosphere (which can be a stressfull time!!!!!!) and the obvious points of gaining time on the hill and the quality training hours to make you a better skier.

When chosing a gap year, be sure to look into the following as many that claim to be "all inclusive gap years" aren't as "all inclusive" as it first seems, (eg. food on the hill might not be included or might just be snack meals, evening meals might not be included 7 nights/week etc). These might be deemed as small things but over a period of time with resort prices it soon adds up!

Hope this helps,

benharriski
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi benharriski (see you in a few weeks time).

Im not gonna comment either way apart from to say that you do your research carefully and decide what you want to get out of a) the season and b) do you think you may wish to teach in the longer term with the qualification.

a) ski instructing means TEACHING and as rob@rar said its teaching beginners and intermediates most of the time.
b) as Beanie1 said - if you BASI then that is the most transferrable system in the world and gives you THE best opportunities.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If your on a budget, have a look at www.proskitraining.com. Seriously good value gap programmes with a chance to get 2 weeks work in the middle. Also the full range of basi and csia courses are held there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1 wrote:
Tomo54,
Quote:

Which qualification does this lead to? Speak to Ski Le Gap and ask them honestly what your chances are of getting work in Canada after the course. It may be that the short 1 month course only gives you CSIA L1, and I don't know how much work you'd get with that.

Having spent a few winters teaching out in Tremblant I thought id pop in and comment a bit on this. Mini Gappers (1 month course) do get offered jobs with Tremblant Ski School on successful completion of an public hiring day organised by the ski school. 99% of them get offered jobs but this doesn't gaurentee work, You will only gain work during the peak holidays and weekends and 99% of the time you will be teaching kids under the age of 12. (Most Mini Gappers tought 4-5 year olds) The pay wont be great and probably earning $10/hour. Tremblant Ski School + Ski Le Gap assist in arranging work visa's I believe also.

You will also be expected to turn up most days in the quiet period on the offchance there is work or you'll find if you stop turning up your instructors lift pass will be blocked! Taking in all of the above I do know some mini gappers that did very well at getting work and managed to earn a resonable amount over the season (maybe just enough to cover the costs in le ptit caribou bar) And the ski school will also offer you free training throughout the season for your CSIA Level 2 and onwards.

Also I notice that someone mentioned accomodation, Tremblant is a commercial resort so you'll find very few people living in the ski town 99% of people will live in the old town which is 5-10mins away on a cheap bus, you'll also find the best ski shops/supermarkets and some bars in the old town.

If your looking for a good winter of skiing with an insight to teaching skiing and the possibility of covering your costs then It would be suitable, However if your looking at long term prospects and wanting to teach outside of Canada then Id seriously reccomend looking at a BASI accredited course otherwise you'll only find yourself having to pay more to gain the BASI qualifications further down the line (I learnt the hard way!)

Hope this of some help!
snow conditions
Hello all, i would reccomend The Canadian Rockies ski Academy its a 3 month course for around the £6000 mark. Accomidation , liftpass Breakfast and dinner are provided along with staff discount at the mountain (50%) so living costs worked out very cheap. During those 3 months i was able to do my CSIA level 1 and 2 and my level 1 CSCF Race coach. The price of the level one is included in the price. It was the best deal i could find on the internet and have to say i had the time of my life.
ski holidays
Quote:
d seriously reccomend looking at a BASI accredited course otherwise you'll only find yourself having to pay more to gain the BASI qualifications further down the line (I learnt the hard way!)

well as someone i train on gap courses for BASI exams then all i would say is have a think not about WHERE you want to go (not necessarily) but what you want to achieve in the longer run... north america, australia etc etc etc as well as Europe all have options... however if you plan is to teach in France (in the long term) for example then you HAVE to do BASI. I am NOT trumping BASI over others here but I genuinely think BASI courses will keep more doors open for you in the longer term than any other system... however Canada etc has many great options dont get me wrong - but do some THINKING and some RESEARCH!
ski holidays
Tomo54, Here is something different to think about.

Do you speak French, are you a good skier already. If the answer to both of these is yes, then you could apply direct to a French Ski School, no need to do any courses with anyone first.

They have a new scheme to take on young foreign students in some places. You would need to contact FFS office or if you know a resort already ask the ESF Director. Then you have to do a test and if they agree to take you on, you could follow the French system which is quite a good deal. One lad I know is doing that this coming season, first as a junior trainee, then when he is ready, they will put him through his Test Technique and so on. As a Junior Trainee he will make very little money, but once he passes the first test, he will be paid the same as the French Stagier which is not bad. To get the full dip will take you nearly 3 years in the French system and you must be a very good skier. Not an easy option but if you want to make a living long term, it is another good route. Very few BASI people make it to the full Carte Professional in France.

beanie1, I finally have some more info about the new BASI Mountain Safety qualifications to go with what you already published. BASI say the new L3 and L4 Mountain Safety do not apply to France. For a BASI Instructor to work in France they must have the Carte Professional, nothing less or be a Stagier with a French Ski School. The British ski schools cannot offer Stagier status unless they meet the French regulations including those participating having passed the Test technique in France. This info came via someone who contacted the BASI office.

Anyone reading this thread and thinking of working in the French Alps as a Ski Instructor needs to be aware that after there Gap year BASI course they still cannot work in France, even after they have finished level 2 or 3 unless they have passed the French Test Technique and become a Stagier or passed the Euro test. One day the French will have to change there rules for there own young people, but until then the is not that much chance of working legally there for foreign Instructors without full equivalence.
snow report
snowcrazy,
Quote:

I finally have some more info about the new BASI Mountain Safety qualifications to go with what you already published. BASI say the new L3 and L4 Mountain Safety do not apply to France.

I thought skimottaret had already made this clear on the other thread, otherwise I would have qualified. Yes, the L3 and L4 Mountain safety are now stand alone qualifications, but you still have to work within local laws. The local law in France requires BASI members to be a L4 and with French equivalence to work in France, or to be a stagiere. The L4 mountain safety does apply to France, but only when the holder has passed L4 ISTD in its entireity.

Ditto stagieres - to be a stagiere in one of the British training centres this season will require the trainee to have already passed the test technique.

Quote:

Very few BASI people make it to the full Carte Professional in France.

There are currently approximately 300 BASI Alpine L4 ISTDs (approx 10% of total Alpine members) who are qualified to work in France if they fill out the paperwork (I assume most of them will have done). BASI L4 is perfectly achievable for young people starting along the instructing path if they are dedicated to the training, and as Steve Angus said above for English speakers who intend to make it a career it arguably offers the widest opportunities.
snow conditions
beanie1 and snowcrazy - yea well said there guys. It does not just have to be the ESF though - any French School that has 'Centre de Formation' status can apply.

BTW the French system is longer in many respects cause they have few places on courses and sometimes you need to wait months and months to actually get listed to take a course (the French make it hard for even their own to get through the ENSA (French equivalent of BASI) system). However getting to stagiere status is quite quick in France cause you apply to your local DDJS prefecture office (local sports government) and take the Test Technique that they ortganise, then you are 'in the system' and the cogs turn slowly.

The French schools LOVE - REALLY love (for the most part - British instructors)... well directors do since people are actively seeking out British qualified / speaking instructors these days in the Alps. However to go through the French system expect frustrating waits for courses and make sure your French is top notch. Also dont expect much feedback (I am told / or much emphasis on teaching - all ski, ski, ski).

A friend of mine in Val was in the French ENSA system all the way up to about 1/2 way through ISTD level and then got too frustrated waiting to book on courses and came into BASI - his overall opinion I think would be fair to say that he prefers BASI and wishes he had been in BASI from the start!
ski holidays
Also worth noting that last summer the ESF publicly announced they want to employ circa 250 L4 ISTDs – one in each school in France as a minimum. Of course with only 300 in total, many of whom run their own ski schools or work independently, there is a huge unfilled demand for fully qualified BASI instructors in France.
snow conditions
absolutely 100000000000000% correct their Beanie1
ski holidays
There is a lot of merit in going the basi route if you see your future in France. In terms of your budget problems the andorra gap course ( www.proskitraining.com ) costs £4500 incl accomodation but not meals for 11 weeks. But you dont have to commit or decide on which system untill Feb. When you do decide if its basi or csia you dont have to move resort for your exams. Both systems run a pretty full range of courses there.
snow conditions
Look into the EA course in Whistler...I met a lot of instructors in Whistler Kids who were on it, got good training with plenty of work during the season.

I would pass up on the Ski Le Gap course, i've heard its gone downhill + when i did it, the instructing for the minigappers was poor. Although Tremblant is a lovely little village and your not as conscious of the corporate feel, Whistler has so much more going for it with regard to skiing, training, night life and accomodation.
snow conditions
I have been looking at taking a gap course in this winter. I like to do a course that is not so expensive and has good quality in night life in the resort. I not know which system to do and so I have looked at the www.proskitraining.com that Henry Snow has said. Thank You. I like that this course is on training to be a instructor and no one system and then I decide at end of season the exam to do with the system I prefer. The value is very good, but I don't hear of Andorra before now?
snow report
Consider New Gen in Couchevel and Meribel as they are part of BASI gap. Hope this helps.
snow report
Don't see why you can't do your exams before doing your gap year, do you really need the extra tuition? Level one really doesn't need much.
latest report
Early season option here

http://tignes-instructor.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy