Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help, Beanie1 I need an answer :)

Poster: A snowHead
How about a thread on questions and comments for BASI to pass onto our resident liaison person...

I think i need to do a refresher this year but cant find on the BASI website what the deal is with regards to ISIA instructor refresher requirements...

July 09 i did my second discipline and got my Stamp, do i need a refresher before oct 10 to ensure my license is valid?

what is requirement for ISIA refreshers, is it 1 day each year or if i take a multi-day BASI course how many years is that good for???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do I still need a Disclosure Scotland Certificate if I already have an Enhanced Disclosure Certificate from the CRB?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood, Yes, BASI use Disclosure Scotland. You need a certificate per organisation, I've got 3 Enhanced disclosures, all saying the same thing. Bonkers, but there it is, jobs for civil servants somewhere.
Disclosure Certificates are pretty pointless, doesn't mean your not a kiddie fiddler, just means you haven't been caught yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, cheers, like you say utterly pointless and a huge cost
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:

I think i need to do a refresher this year but cant find on the BASI website what the deal is with regards to ISIA instructor refresher requirements...

I'd like an answer to this too because you get a different answer from everyone you talk to, including head office.
When I did my last refresher they said every three years.
It used to say 3 years in the course directory, then every year, now it doesn't say
An email from the office on another issue said every year
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevindonkleywood, No you don't need a certificate per organization, you can now ask Snowsport England to release your certificate to BASI. I don't know how well this works if the Enhanced Disclosure came from outside snowsports.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan McGregor, I have a feeling that ISIA should be once a year, which sort of put me off !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, thanks for starting this thread. I'll come back to you to confirm the refresher requirements for ISIA.

On the CRB forms, as rjs, correctly says if you have one for SSE you can request a form from them, which you fill in to give your consent for them to release it to BASI. This is because there is an arrangement between BASI and SSE so this can happen. Unfortunately if you have one for another employer, you will need a separate one for BASI as they are only valid for the employer who requested it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, I can vouch for the accuracy of that last statement re: CRB's as the holder of about 3 now, I even needed two separate ones for my two roles in the same school - the first I got as a 'swimming mummy' (helping to change the kids - that one you would think must be as good as it gets), then still needed a separate one as a school Govenor at the same school rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

what is requirement for ISIA refreshers

skimottaret, there is a new arrangement for ISIA refreshers. The ISIA requirement was once a year, however it is now more specific and must cover 3 areas over a 3 year period. BASI is introducing a refresher course that is 3 blocks of 5 hours, and will be valid for 3 years. The 3 elements are divided as follows:

- Teach / tech practical
- Mountain safety practical
- Theory - legal & marketing

Each of the above will last 5 hours, but BASI plans to run them in a 2 day weekend, with the theory session in the evenings. There will be 4 courses held this coming season - 1 in the UK (probably at Hemel) and 3 in Europe, dates and venues tbc.

If you are a L3 continuing through the BASI system then the courses you do will count towards your refresher, but they must cover these 3 areas. So for example - L3 or L4 coach or L4 tech would cover the tech practical, L4 Teach would cover legal & marketing and EMS training would cover mountain safety.

The cost of the weekend course will be £150, which spread over 3 years is the same cost as the old requirement to do a refresher each year.

I hope I have explained this clearly.
Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1,
We can we do it just as we want to ?
I mean that even if you don't need to do it due to dates, will basi allow it to be used as a refresher/CPD.
Sounds fun and £150 is OK for a weekend
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, not quite sure I understand your question? Do you mean can you do it even if you're not due to refresh yet? I don't see why they'd object!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, thanks that is clear, if i read you correctly i dont need a refresher until my third anniversary of getting ISIA or last basi course and my license is valid for another two years.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, Do you have any idea when this refresher is going to be run? I have to do a refresher this year (I am ISIA), and if this is going to be on it would be better for me to wait for it!

Andy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have received an answer from the BASI office.
They are still finalizing the 3 day ISIA refresher, and the normal 1-day Alpine Refresher will suffice for this season
snow conditions
freestyleandy, the dates are still to be confirmed.
snow conditions
freestyleandy, i had heard that a basi trainer, andi mccann was trying to organise one at hemel but just now seeing you are in poland probably doesnt do you much good Embarassed
ski holidays
beanie1, Thanks for looking into it for me!

skimottaret, I am going to have to come back for a one day refresher anyway, so if it is at a time when i can make it, it could be very useful. At the moment I am looking into when and where to do it! Do you have any insider information into the course Andi is trying to organise? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
.... of course you can sit another BASI course and as far as I know just sitting a course counts as a refresher in its own right - e.g. do the ISTD tech and that will count (although it is several more than 2 days I agree).

When I did my adaptive last Summer my new card had a new refresher date on it even though the course was not Alpine as such.
snow report
freestyleandy, no insider info wink I did my tech with andi and i just heard from another ISIA guy who lives near me that he was thinking of running one at Hemel and trying to gauge interest. From what i can see i dont need one for another two years.

give andi a tug at http://www.mccannix.com/
ski holidays
beanie1, got through the BASI news and noticed that in gareth roberts annual report he said 110 members passed the Eurotest. Was that all in 09/10? sounds like a huge number but if correct is really encouraging..
snow report
Quote:

110 members passed the Eurotest

no im sure that is in total - ever, but I may be wrong! As far as I know there are only about 150 ISTD's in total anyway - 110 passing the Etest in one year would lead to a HUGE percentage jump in the number of ISTD getting or about to get their award!
snow report
skimottaret, yes I think that must be total ever. I remember seeing the congratulations to people in the BASI news and it's usually a handful of candidates at a time. I'll find out how many passed last season for you.
snow conditions
beanie1, i thought it had to be all time. no need to check up just caught my eye when reading the newsletter.

Steve Angus, last i heard in the spring there are about 300 ISTD and 140 ISIA's. The implication is that if 110 ish got the Eurotest 2/3 of ISTD's where old grade 1's that got grandfathered in and didnt have to take the ET.
ski holidays
skimottaret - you may be right. Either way there are certainly a fair number who were grandfathered in to use your terminology. There are WAY MORE than 140 ISIA's though!
ski holidays
Steve Angus, yeah i thought that looked weird but came straight from basi HQ, my mate asked how many ISIA's and they came back with that... I think it is because the old Grade 2's got knocked back to L2's and they need to do mountain safety and coach stuff to get ISIA, I know one guy at Hemel who is in that boat (stan)
ski holidays
Does it say somewhere on basi site how many L1,2,3 and 4's there are ?
snow report
You have to also take into account there are a fair few who are exempt from the euro test as well as those gaining their qualification before it was about. I am positive the number of candidates passing each year will grow as everyone learns what is required and how to train efficiently towards meeting the grade.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jjc, fair point on the exemptions... probably quite a few

Wayne, not on the site but back in april i heard numbers for Alpine L1 565, L2 2017, L3 136 and L4 295. I dont know why they dont publish a breakdown in the annual report.
ski holidays
skimottaret, interesting the drop off between L2 and L3,, I wonder how many of the 2017 are actively working towards their L3
snow report
skimottaret, I've seen that L3 number but it seems strangely low to me Puzzled

It will be interesting to see if the numbers doing L1 and L2 courses hold up over the next few years.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
I dont know why they dont publish a breakdown in the annual report.

There used to be a page on the site with everyones name, dates passed and stuff like that, but I think they took if off for data protections rules or something like that.
ski holidays
freestyleandy, just heard the ISIA refresher will be 18 Sept at Hemel....
snow report
skimottaret, Is that the 2 day course you were saying Andi McCann was going to run? Need to find out how to book onto it if it is!! Very Happy
latest report
freestyleandy, drop andi an email would be my suggestion and tell the tall yank sent you wink
snow report
had a mail from BASI on this

Thank you for your email. As a Level 3 ISIA you should attend a one day
refresher once every year or a three day refresher once every three
years. We are currently working on the three day course so this is not
available at the moment, so in order for your licence to be valid you
will need to book onto a one day course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 17-08-10 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Perhaps someone could advise BASI - by giving them some advice:

a licence (noun) has two 'C's
to license (verb) has only one

This behaviour is much like other English words such as advice/advise and practice/practise.

Their behaviour in American English may differ.
snow conditions
beanie1, can a L1 shadow race coaching for hours or must it be ski instructing ?
snow conditions
skimottaret, Looks like you only have to be there.

From BASI website:

"35 Logged Hours Ski School Experience
A total of 35 hours minimum of teaching/ski school experience is part of the Level 1 Instructor training course. Teaching Ski School experience may include any of the following:

Understanding how bookings are taken and how people are selected into different standards
Shadowing experienced Instructors delivering lessons
Delivering lessons as per the constraints for the Level 1 Licence
Understanding how customer satisfaction is assessed and how dissatisfied customers are dealt with
Understanding how the Customer satisfaction procedures improve Instructor and administrational practises
Taking part in and understanding in house staff training for Instructors
Understanding how Snowsports Schools maintain Safety standards and maintain their currency of good practise
Understanding the Risk Assessment process that Snowsport Schools and Instructors take
Understand Accident and First Aid procedures including accident reporting

Students should provide a breakdown in writing of what they have covered during their Ski School experience and this should be signed by the Ski School supervisor."
snow report
yes the emphasis is on school experience... for e.g. in Val not everyone can shadow BASI instructors from the MANY gap courses that go on during the season.... there4 we get some students to do things like help out with admin of lessons on Monday am when all hell breaks loose at the start of Feb HT or other students to do mystery shopping... even at Hemel some students dont spend all their time on the slopes but in rentals - it all counts... so yea shadowing race coaching is fine I would have thought!

However like you skimottaret and Spyderman I am sure we would encourage students to shadow various sessions from Level 1 3 years old upwards to get a full flavour as what is on offer in this career / lifestyle of ours?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy