Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basic GPS?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't really enjoy looking at a GPS when hiking (driving is another matter) - the fewer gadgets, the better. But for safety and general orienteering I was thinking of getting a cheap one that only shows the latitude and longitude, so you can use it together with a paper map (which I would get anyway for any proper routes).

Any thoughts? Is it a pointless expense unless I get a proper one?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have iphone or blackberry? If so there are free apps that server perfectly well for giving a location and recording tracks
latest report
 brian
brian
horizon, no, it's not a pointless expense. Traditional methods of knowing where you are in featureless terrain require either good visibility (to see points to triangulate from) or you to be able to keep on a bearing and judge how far you've moved since you took it. GPS is therefore much less error prone. For use with paper maps get one that can translate lat/long into the appropriate grid reference for the country.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless it is very cheap, I wouldn't bother.
They are interesting for seeing where you have been at the end of the day, but fairly useless for proper navigation.
Spend the money on a navigation course.
I have an iPhone App that gives me local grid co-ordinates, but unless I was on a long tour, I would give myself a severe kicking if I ever need to use it.

On committed routes, or exploring new territory, I carry a proper GPS, but have only used it a couple of times when I have made a basic navigation error.
GPS is not accurate enough in a mountain environment.
GPS tells you where you are, it doesn't tell you where to go.
Relying on anything electronic in the mountains is not a good idea.

On single day trips, you should never get yourself into a situation where you need full-on white-out navigation skills.
A map, a decent compass, an altimeter and the skills to use them properly should be all you need.
You can add a GPS to make it easier, but it replaces none of the above.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They do come in handy, last season my son was skiing off piste by himself at the end of the day (i know he shouldn't and has been told so.) and his ski came off and he could not find it. He took a waypoint on his mobile and we went back 2 days later and with a bit of digging found it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was skiing off-piste late season in Les Deux Alpes & found 3 skis on the way down ! Then had an argument with the guide who was on the same skis as me, we both wanted to keep the same found one as a spare.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I keep a basic gps in my rucksack when climbing in places like the Caingorms. Trying to nav your way off in a blizzard without being able to check your locations isn't always fun when the vis really comes down. It's pretty difficult to walk on a bearing when the wind is blowing you over.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy