Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transceiver training in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know where I can get this in the UK so when I go away I am up to speed. I only have one so not easy to learn how to use it effectively on my own !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dsoutar, why not see if you can organize something like this very successful training session in Richmond Park?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, well, he won't be able to organise it in snowEvents any more! rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first thought was Plas y Brenin - The National Mountain Centre http://www.pyb.co.uk/
You could ask at the British Association of Ski Patrollers http://www.basp.org.uk/
Henry's Avalance Talk does training in the Alps, they may do some in the UK http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/

Visit/phone your local dry ski slope or snowdome and ask them.

Last winter and the previous few have had some transceiver practice sessions in Richmond Park (SW London). These were organised by enthusiasts, not by professional organisations. Look for the discussion threads here on Snowheads and also the (member's only) forum at http://www.skiclub.co.uk . There are probably other groups who have organised similar practice sessions elsewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it would be better to describe the event in Richmond Park as a transceiver taster and trial rather than training per se. I thinking about organising something in the autumn along similar lines, especially if I can get hold of some of the latest digital transceivers so people could have a play with those.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi, actually, if he drops a PM to that very nice Mr admin, he just might be able to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I agree it's not the same thing as working in a proper site in snow. But it was surprisingly effective, even so. It would be great if you could get another session going - I remember the BCA guy was very helpful - and not just for discussing his own kit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I was careful to say "transceiver practice sessions in Richmond Park" and not "training".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I know you mentioned this during one of our chats at Hemel, if SH's could give suggestions where best to hold a practice/testing/getting used to day then I can organise all the transceivers and try and co-ordinate the relevant suppliers.

As said above it would be difficult to call this a training day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, that would be great. Richmond Park would be one option as it has plenty of space, but I was thinking that the Snow centre at Hemel might also be suitable. Plenty of space around the building to do range tests (including the sports ground right next door), a pleasant cafe at the Centre to have a chat and a drink afterwards, and an opportunity to ski for those that want it. It is also probably more convenient for most people as it is close to M1 and M25.

Would you be able to get more than one of each model as there were quite a few of us when we did this in Richmond Park some time ago.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I like the idea of the Hemel Centre for this, maybe worth checking out if the sports ground is OK to use, and also if there is any electronic interference there.

I will see what I can get hold of in terms of transceiver numbers from the suppliers. I suppose the other question is dates? will have to avoid the ski show dates. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, agreed that Hemel might be a more convenient location, and even I might like to ski there afterwards wink - the thing about Richmond Park, though, was that there were large areas of dry leaves where the transceivers could be well hidden (so much so that I took very careful note of the location when burying mine). Would there be suitable 'cover' at HH?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Would there be suitable 'cover' at HH?

about 50 tons of snow Toofy Grin

livetoski, would saturday 16 October 27 November or 7 May work for you ? we have a cunning plan in work.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

would saturday 16 October 27 November or 7 May work for you ? we have a cunning plan in work

Toofy Grin Cunning stunts?? Well these dates work for me, the earlier dates would be best for people to play with transceivers before the start of the season

drop me an email with the cunning plan
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, I realize that HH is snowdome paradise. However, the snow I have seen at Castleford at MK would not be anything like deep enough - and even if a pile were made, it's location would, to say the least be obvious, and the training value in finding a beep nil. rob@rar was discussing using the space around the building - if you have 50tons of snow around that, I am impressed. rolling eyes NehNeh

That said, I am interested in the October and November dates.
snow report
Its not rocket science is it - if you can get a few folk together with transceivers in any reasonable outdoor space you can put together some useful exercises. If there's no natural cover having a bunch of empty icecream tubs etc can work. I'd doubt personally that being inside the snowcentre is particularly helpful - I'm sure Pete wouldn't really want people digging holes in his slope and shovel work and probing (plus uphill searches) are the main benefits of on snow practice.

I'd be up for a Richmond Park practice or even an outdoor at Hemel if timing was convenient. Why not a 2nd saturday pm before "ski club"?
latest report
skimottaret, fatbob,
Quote:

that being inside the snowcentre is particularly helpful

Very true I do not think any transceivers will work as well as they should inside, the building, metal and all the wifi stuff will mess up the signals, should really be outside

Just found out that there is a show on in Glasgow on the October date plus EB have a test day at MK snowdome on the Nov date but still OK for me and getting transceivers to play with

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-08-10 15:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fatbob, defo can do some stuff outside but for me searching is the easy bit, probing and digging out is for me a much better skill to learn, pete might just be persuaded to allow people to dig a few holes in some steep uphill simulated sections wink
ski holidays
a combination of outside searching and transceiver awareness followed up by inside probe and dig session, sounds good better bring some avi shovels and probes as well

skimottaret, any chance we could also combine this with a waist deep powder evening and then I can bring some Super Fats as well Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'd certainly be up for anything at HH or Richmond Park

Thanks for all your replies and look forward to an event happening !!
snow conditions
I'd be interested.

Quote:

searching is the easy bit, probing and digging out is for me a much better skill to learn,

How about at the seaside with some sand dunes?
latest report
rich.ll wrote:
I'd be interested.

Quote:

searching is the easy bit, probing and digging out is for me a much better skill to learn,

How about at the seaside with some sand dunes?

This works very well.

The snow on indoor slopes isn't deep enough to do anything useful.

If anybody would like something organising in the NW let me know
latest report
dsoutar wrote:
I'd certainly be up for anything at HH or Richmond Park
Me too.
latest report
Alan McGregor, I would be interested along with my son.
snow conditions
Alan McGregor, we did one at the dunes by Crosby before last season, will probably do the same this year so will let you know when we plan it.
ski holidays
Swirly, please count me in for anything NW based
snow conditions
Hey guys. I ran a short transceiver practice session at HH last Summer. Apart from problems of burying it deeply in the snow there werent too many problems... all we did was get loads of the coloured shuttle cones and laid them all over the trainer slope and started skiing from the top til we picked up a signal then honed in from there... on a couple of occasions we used the cones as decoys and actually buried the transceiver under the snow slightly. As solutions go it worked OK although I am sure you can get something better but at least its practice on snow!

Other option would be Henrys Avalanche Talk (HAT) - he does stuff and training alround the UK in the Autumn... does stuff in the sand for example on Bournemouth beech.
snow report
Did a weekend course on avalanche safety, including transceiver training, with Rob Collister several years ago.
Was in N.Wales late autumn so plenty of fallen leaves, gorse etc. to hide xcvrs in.
I thought it was well worthwhile. Don't know if he still does it.

http://www.travel-quest.co.uk/pages/RobCollister/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little bump on this we have confirmed 16 oct at hemel for a taster session on using avi transceivers and will do some practice searches inside and out in the field next to The Snow Centre.

This isnt a training course but a self help/practice session for those with their own avi gear and an intro for those who dont. We are persuading a retailer to bring along a few different models to do some side by side comparisons.

will also be doing some skiing as well !!!
snow report
little bump on this we have confirmed Saturday 16 oct at hemel for a taster session on using avi transceivers and will do some practice searches inside and out in the field next to The Snow Centre.

This IS NOT a training course but a self help/practice session for those with their own avi gear and an intro for those who dont. We are persuading a retailer to bring along a few different models to do some side by side comparisons of different makes and models.

will also be doing some skiing as well and will be on the hill from 3-8
snow conditions
Quote:
transceiver training in the UK

Word is that Glencoe & also Glenmore lodge are going to have the UKs first transceiver park this winter (sponsored by Anatom).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-09-10 13:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

We are persuading a retailer to bring along a few different models

Smile Blush I am persuaded plus we should have one of the importers of avalanche gear with us as well.
snow report
livetoski, didnt want to name names wink

Might be an idea to put up a list of transceiver makes and models available, i will edit a list

me DTS Tracker 1
rob Barryvox Pulse
snow conditions
skimottaret, wink

we will have
Ortovox F1
Ortovox D3
Ortovox Patroller Digital
Ortovox 3 +
Ortovox S1
Tracker DTS
Tracker 2

A slection of Plastic Shovels wink and a selection of metal ones, plus probes and bits and bobs, I might even manage to find a prize or two for a little competition

Perhaps we could have some suggestions for a competition "like pin the tail on the donkey" but with snow in mind Very Happy
snow report
Alan McGregor, whereabouts in the NW were you thinking?
ski holidays
Alan McGregor, any more info on this, am keen to do something in the NW.
snow report
I hadn't really thought that far ahead ...

A beach would be good so we could bury them properly
All my kit is out in the Alps, but can probably solve that once next seasons kit is in the shops

Is anyone else interested ?
snow report
I could loan:
Ortovox M2
Mammut Barryvox
Arva A.D.vanced
plus a couple of shovels and probes

and with a bit of warning could probably get hold of:
another A.D.vanced
another Arva (think it's an A.D.vanced, but not sure)
another M2
BCA Tracker DTS
more shovels and probes

The Chill Factore is the obvious venue as it, handily, offers some skiing. We might possibly get Snow&Rock involved too. The snow is too hard to bury stuff but there's also plenty of scrubby ground nearby where we could hide transceivers under grass etc.
snow conditions
Alan McGregor wrote:

Is anyone else interested ?

Yes, me with my son and we have 2 tranceivers.
snow conditions
Altis - many thanks.

I may be able to get Ellis Brigham involved, but next seasons kit isn't in yet.
I am at ChillFactore this morning doing a BASI refresher, so I will have a look.
It would be nice to bury them properly & do some digging, but I guess we could talk through that side of things.

So, potentialy, mid to late October at ChillFactore Manchester.
Who would be interested and when would work for you ?
(ie. are we tied to weekends, are you close enough for an evening to work etc.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy