Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI 3 converting to CSIA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If I was to convert from BASI 3 (ISIA ) to the Canadian system would I be automatically accepted as CSIA 4 or would they just convert me to CSIA 3 and then I would have to sit the CSIA 4 course for validation still as ISIA.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CSIA4 is, i'm 99% confident, a higher level than ISIA/BASI3 so I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure there'd be some kind of conversion course for an ISTD, and I'd guess you'll have to do the CSIA3 exam as an ISIA to be accepted into the CSIA system.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveC, sounds about right. That's how BASI works anyway - you have to enter one level down, so if CSIA 3 your first exams with BASI would be L3. I'd guess CSIA is similar.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
as DaveC says. The standard for CSIA 4 is exceptionally challenging in much the same way as BASI 4. Not sure if you will get an exception and will most likely have to take CSIA 3 exams first. Best to check with CSIA.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't have specific knowledge but know enough CSIAs to have the gist - you almost certainly wouldn't be accepted as a CSIA 4 which is the top level IIRC. 2nd question is why does it matter? Canadian ski schools would almost certainly employ you as a BASI, provided you had relevant work permit and AIUI you wouldn't ever get ISTD through the CSIA system anyway.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, reason for conversion is just one of cost. No first aid renewal. no CRB checks and I beleive no actual 3 year course renewal validation.

But If I converted from BASI 3 to CASI what level within their system would they accept me. OK accept not going to get CSIA 4 without doing course but would I automatically get CSIA 3 ( lower than ISIA ).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super Eagle, it's only lower than ISIA because it doesn't do the CRB stuff, I think Canadians might take a dim view if you tell them you deserve their cert because you have the equivilant elsewhere Wink It was ISIA accepted a couple of years ago, and seen as an easy route because it didn't have all the extra modules to do. As above, you'd have to take the CSIA3.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

it's only lower than ISIA because it doesn't do the CRB stuff,

not so sure about that, there is also the off piste module and other courses to ensure the minimum level of training hours to qualify for the stamp. just having an exam day/week doesnt cut it for ISIA recognition.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

it's only lower than ISIA because it doesn't do the CRB stuff,

not so sure about that, there is also the off piste module and other courses to ensure the minimum level of training hours to qualify for the stamp. just having an exam day/week doesnt cut it for ISIA recognition.

I missed an intended "etc" there, but yeah, that's the gist. Costs $500 for the precourse and $200 for the exam not £382831983 too Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, no arguement from me, different systems for different markets, not better or worse... CSIA works if you want to teach in canada, great system, fantastic course materials, low cost and train with your ski school while going up the ladder. If you want to teach globally ISIA makes more sense.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I explained earlier if I stay with BASI level 3 ( ISIA ) then every 3 years I have to attend a refresher course, Do a child protection course and every 2 years revalidate my first aid certificate. If I converted to CSIA after completing the relevant course all the above ongoing costs are not required so it is cheaper to not only gain your qualification as although the CSIA level 4 does require some additional moduals they are no where near the amount required by BASI and the ongoing cost would be cheaper.

I would like to know if anyone as converted before and if already ISIA qualified would they automatically let me join as a CSIA level 3 at least. My scope for being able to teach aboard for the foreseeable future is not looking good so keeping up the ongoing costs of BASI system is not looking cost effective but I am willing to be convinced.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.snowpro.com/csia/e/about-us-faq.html wrote:

#
AFFILIATE INSTRUCTORS:
# Q: I am certified from a foreign country, how can I become a CSIA member?
# A: You must send a copy of your current certification and application form to the Membership Services Department to be granted an Affiliate CSIA Member status. The cost for becoming a single affiliate member is CAN$132.00 plus applicable taxes.
#

# Q: If I want to become a CSIA Instructor do I get any credit for my other certification(s)?
# A: All Affiliate Instructors with legitimate foreign certification merit some degree of credit. Affiliate Instructors holding the ISIA designation from their country can become CSIA members by registering and attending a CSIA course and paying an annual membership fee of CAN$132.00 plus applicable taxes as a Affiliate Instructor.

Again, no organisation will accept you like for like, qualification wise. I guess since ISIA is granted by the CSIA4 it's confusing, but technically CSIA/BASI3 are similar. I'm kind of suprised CSIA4 grants ISIA, given it still doesn't tick the boxes that ISIA require.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just spotted this, for your info level 3 CSIA courses and exams are held in Andorra a couple of times each season, could be a cheaper.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The CSIA level 3 even though it lost its Isia badge is still pretty well recognised. For France and the other speed test countries you still need your slalom test along with your Basi 3 to work as a stagiere. The level 4 exam ( 4 days ) is held twice a year and you need to have done the level 4 course ( 6 days ), and have your race coach 2 (cscf). The csia 4 is a long way north of isia (basi 3) in terms of ski ability to pass. It's f.....ing hard but a very fair exam, bib numbers only, no chit chat with the trainers. Send copies of your qualifications to The eastern office. They are very familiar with the basi system.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy