Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Season in Warth - Schroecken, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.warth-schroecken.com/en/search-results/winter/

Anyone done one?

Been there on holiday?

Looking for any and all info please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, best snow record in the Alps, but I guess you probably knew that and that's why you're heading that way, I'm jealous, have a good one! Very Happy

http://www.ineedsnow.com/ski-holidays-austria/warth-schrocken/warth-schrocken.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied Warth - nice area for a day or two, although you might get a bit bored if you're considering spending the season there! It was on my list of possible places for a seaons a few years ago, but struck it off when I did a training course there and headed to Serfaus instead. My trainer put it quite well - spent a while moaning that there was "lots of snow but no gelande" (terrain in English!).

It's not really a resort as such, but a collection of hotels. I stayed in the Lechtaler Hof, which was very nice, but apart from 9 or 10 hotels there isn't really much there. Most of the skiers seem to commute up from the lower Lech valley, which I think takes about half an hour on the bus.

Skiing-wise, the area is on top of a sort of lumpy hill, set in some steeper mountains which aren't lifted. The runs are all between 1500 and 2000m, so not very long, but they are well groomed. Only one steep run, which is very short (c. 2-300m). The other blacks that are marked on the map would be reds elsewhere. There are a few spots of interesting off piste in between the pistes, but they seemed to get very quickly tracked when we were up there (although we were partially responsible for that!).

If you're keen to do a season in Vorarlberg/Bregenzerwald I'd suggest looking at Damuels/Mellau, which is just down the road from Warth, or Silvretta/Montafon instead - both have next to no presence on the UK market and cracking skiing. Spend quite a bit of time trolling round that neck of the woods as, although I now live it the UK, the girlfriend hails from the Bregenzerwald so tend to fit in as many family visits as possible in in the winter!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Luigi
Thanks for the link. Just an idea at this stage.

W94
Many thanks. Great info.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, I would agree with W94 on that. For a season the Montafon would offer a lot more. If it has to be Voarlberg then you might also take a look at Kleinwalsertal, which is where my wife hails from. Enough there to keep a guy happy for quite some time, and if you want to visit Warth, it's only a half day's touring away!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, remember the post some stoke thread? That secret destination I was talking about was in fact the Kleinwalsertal! Oberstdorf and the Kleinwalsertal is worthy of consideration for touring and off piste. It (Kleinwalsertal) is just over the other side of the moutain from Warth as the crow flies. I've driven through Warth but never skied there so I can't comment but it certainly gets plenty of snow! The Montafon/Silvretta is awesome if you are into touring.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Juliad. Been loking at that area too. And Berwang & Lermoos too.

Had a great experience in Bavaria this past February. Looking for similar Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
Mike Pow, best snow record in the Alps, but I guess you probably knew that and that's why you're heading that way, I'm jealous, have a good one! Very Happy

http://www.ineedsnow.com/ski-holidays-austria/warth-schrocken/warth-schrocken.html

Quote:
on the frequent occasions that it dumps snow, then the Warth-Schrocken is superb for off-piste skiing.

I could cope with a season of that. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, just in case you haven't heard about this brilliant liftpass before, it is a season pass to ski all the Allgäu ski resorts plus Pitztal and Kaunertal glaciers.

http://www.superschnee.com/index.shtml?allgaeugletschercard

The Allgäu is a fantastic place to base yourself if you want to explore and tour numerous places. Plenty of good quality and good value accommodation about plus a good value liftpass for the decent lift served off piste as well! Unfortunately I haven't had time to explore the Garmisch area resorts yet...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow,
Quote:
Thanks Juliad. Been loking at that area too. And Berwang & Lermoos too
Wot juliad, said about the Allgaeu. The Zugspitzarena is definitely also worth a look, including the area up on top of the Zugspitze itself. Some really great powder skiing to be had up there, and not so many people know about it! There is also an extreme descent from the top down to Ehrwald requiring some abseiling in the middle. Havn't done it myself, but my colleague here at work has done it and really enjoyed it! The other areas in the Zugspitzarena are not so bad either. Lermoos has a lot of varied terrain. Ehrwald is more of a beginners area, but also has a couple of nice little powder plots, like anywhere in fact Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, that's a great deal on the pass.

Thanks for the info juliad and Steilhang. This forum delivers Smile

Season-long accommodation. Difficult to come by in that area? Any ideas please?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could get used to this Smile

http://www.kleinwalsertal.com/en/winter.html

Click on the vid
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, I should have stuck this link in as well for the normal Allgäu pass which doesn't cover the austrian glaciers. Purchase it early for €369 Cool

http://www.superschnee.com/index.shtml?ats_saisonpass

Great vid BTW. I've skied the deepest snow I have ever come across in this area! The terrain is awesome too! Had a better time skiing in Bavaria than Fernie!

Re seasonal rentals, I've only ever stayed for a month at a time but always managed to get a discount on apartments dealing direct with the landlord. I'd try the local tourist offices and ask if they have a list of seasonal lets available or recommend someone you could talk to? Rental agencies might be interested in longer term contracts but possibly worth trying?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tremendous value on both those passes juliad.

Just need to find a cheap monthly rental and that's a very inexpensive season right there. With plenty of scope for day tripping.
latest report
http://www.vorarlbergvonoben.at/winter/DE/Arlberg
ski holidays
Wow. Thanks.
snow report
Try looking in Bludenz or Feldkirch as they are fairly central and easy to get to all the areas from there. Dornbirn and Bregenz might also offer some bargins as they are primarily summer locations but put you a wee bit too far down valley from some of the best areas! The road from Warth to Lech is always closed during the winter by the way.

As they are not "tourist" traps (aka ski resorts) you should be able to do a better deal on accommodation in either a Gasthof or an apartment. A group I know of, who were put in a hotel too small for them in the Montafon area were able to to be rehoused in a great Gasthof in Feldkirch in the Fasching holiday period.

Nice work if you can do it! I suppose someone has to, I have to admit to being green with envy though Very Happy
snow report
Brilliant Samerberg Sue. Many thanks.

A return to Hokkaido is still very much on the cards, but based on the past 12 months it's always good to have a Plan B, C & D in the back pocket Smile
snow conditions
Sammerberg Sue

You mentioned looking at Feldkirch. Have you skied Laterns? Looks pretty sweet.

http://www.laternsertal.at/laterns/images/large/2008/laterns20080820000928.jpeg

http://www.vorarlbergvonoben.at/video/DE/63/Laterns
latest report
Just found this season pass deal that covers a lot of the areas recommended above:

3 Valley Pass
http://www.3taeler.at/de/3-taeler/

390 euros Very Happy
ski holidays
I'd heard about that Bregenzerwald pass in the past but not actually skied any of the resorts on it. Good to know it is still around and good value! I'd like to explore the area on skis at some point...

Anywhere else you are thinking about besides Japan, Bavaria and the Vorarlberg?
snow conditions
Not at the moment Wink Smile

Either Hokkaido or that little corner of Austria, Germany, Switzerland.

This is a pretty interesting deal too. More expensive but good combo of resorts. 700 euros.

Meilenweiss Pass
http://meilenweiss.ch/?saison=winter
snow conditions
Mike Pow, Not quite the same area, but you may be interested in the Tirol Snow Card, 590 yoyos for 77 resorts/areas, including a few of the big ones.
snow report
Mike Pow, looks like it could be a fun season for you next winter Smile

For the alpine option, were you thinking of basing yourself in one town/resort and skiing a number of areas on one pass or staying in a number of places and skiing several areas? FWIW anywhere around Bludenz would give you access to a number of the different valleys on the Austrian side with the potential to tour into Germany. Lucky you, I'm envious wink

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Ski-Resorts/Austria/Vorarlberg/index.html

The legendary Stuben and Langen areas (& lesser known Sonnenkopf) aren't that far away either!

As some of the other posters suggested, the Silvretta and Montafon valley has some great terrain plus you can tour into Switzerland from there Cool

Have fun with the planning!
latest report
Thanks Clarky999

Here's a map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101231832920465840609.0004744f724bb9264b882&z=9

To put things in perspective, the early season Niseko Resort Area Pass is 933 euros.

Definitely worth it for the snow, but doesn't compare with the variety of terrain on offer with the multi-resort passes highlighted in this thread.
ski holidays
juliad

Yeah it's a very interesting area with an unbelievable variety of terrain for the cost.

If I end up in Europe over Hokkaido, then Feldkirch or nearby is topping the list at the moment. But anywhere in that Feldkirch - Bludenz corridor looks suitable.

Alternatively, basing myself in or around Berwang / Leermos would give me best access to the Zugspitze area, the resorts around Innsbruck and the Kleinwalsertal area. Would still allow me the longer day trips to the Bregenzerwald area too.
snow report
Bear in mind that if you base yourself in Vorarlberg, you'll be pretty close to Leichtenstein, which (according to some programme a few years ago) has some awesome powder - can't remember the programme but followed some freeriders and a couple of UK freestylers (Noddy something, Paddy Graham and a couple of others????)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah there are some gems in that part of the world.

Santis in Switzerland is supposed to be a mini La Grave according to Powder magazine.

http://www.saentisbahn.ch/en/home.html
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

Alternatively, basing myself in or around Berwang / Leermos would give me best access to the Zugspitze area, the resorts around Innsbruck and the Kleinwalsertal area. Would still allow me the longer day trips to the Bregenzerwald area too.

If you do that you are adding to the travelling time quite considerably to be honest. Try not to bite off too much in one go would be my advice. Basing yourself in the Bludenz/Feldkirch area, even down as far down the valley as Bregenz/Dornbirn, would open up a far greater area for you to play in with less time wasted getting there. The Bregenz/Dornbirn area is dead in winter so there must be masses of accommodation lying empty which you could negotiate a deal on. Summer is a totally different propositon and those places are humming due to the location near Bodensee as well as the cultural events that focus on the Bregenz/Lindau area.

The Lermoos/Berwang area is a good area but getting anywhere else quickly is the pits to be honest. The roads are often jammed with either lorries and/or the ubiquitous Dutch and their bloody caravans! rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:
ubiquitous Dutch and their bloody caravans
Amen. Although to be fair they don't usually have caravans in winter. Still blocking the roads trying to put on snow chains though rolling eyes
snow conditions
Steilhang, they are in always around, winter is just as bad as summer to be honest! You just don't notice them so much as they are usually the only ones - typical convoy is a mixture of cars, vans, motor homes and motor homes all up each others backside. Let's not forget the motorhomes towing caravans - I kid you not, seen last season AGAIN struggling on the Irschenberg!

Maybe I'm more aware of them as I have to use the A8/A96 axis for my commute to work! I must admit to having lulled quite a few into having their photo taken as they descend the Irschenberg on their way home NehNeh
snow conditions
Thanks for the advice Samerberg Sue.

Always trying to have my cake and eat it, hence coming on here to get the reality check.

Accommodation somewhere between Feldkirch and Bludenz seems to be the go.

Any ideas for a non-German speaker on the interweb please?

If I end up in this area I won't be working, so is the bus and train network good enough for me to get around the resorts or do I need a car?
snow report
Mike Pow, a car would make life a wee bit easier and you can often pick up a cheap old banger for the winter - friends who have a sports car do that each winter. It will probably be being sold with winter tyres, so less worries there! You can tax it as a "winter" car. If you are dependent on the public system, while good you will be missing out on some of the more remote locations.

As for the accommodation hunt, why not start with the tourist offices in those areas? They are usually very helpful, especially as you say that you do not speak German. You are going to be going for some kind of holiday let anyway and I'm sure that a summer let could be easily be organised for an extended winter let. I found a flat when I first came out here that was a fixed term winter let - fully furnished summer let. I was in it from October to May during which time I was able to sort out a more permanent arrangement elsewhere, closer to my job.

snow conditions
Many thanks once again.

Contacted a couple of tourist offices in the area. Waiting on replies.
snow conditions
Tirol Zugspitz Arena Season Pass is 590 euros

Zugspitzbahn, Ehrwald, Lermoos, Berwang, Bichlbach, Biberweir, Heiterwang
http://www.zugspitzarena.com/cms/en/winter/tarife_winter.php4?men=7

But Ehrwald, Lermoos, Berwang, & Biberweir are included on the Snowcard Tirol along with 78 other resorts for 608 euros which makes it a far better deal

http://www.snowcard.tirol.at/allepreise.html
ski holidays
Something cool to see in the Bregenzerwald

Horizon Field
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b10c4194-a0ea-11df-badd-00144feabdc0.html

http://www.kunsthaus-bregenz.at/horizonfield/index_e.htm
ski holidays
Mike Pow, So the Tirol Snow Card has gone up nearly 20 euros since last season, but with a few more resorts on it...
snow conditions
Yeah. But if you're intending to play in that part of Austria it's an amazing deal.
snow report
Hell yeah, it's ace. It includes the furnicular trains in Innsbruck too, if you fancy a day off skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy