Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to go to Austria this Winter for the annual ski holiday. Unfortunatly i always seem to end up going to France and therefore i have little knowledge of the best resorts to go to in Austria (the last time i went there i was in primary school)

I'm an experienced skier (30weeks plus) looking to ski blacks, reds and a bit of off piste. I love the high resorts where it doesn’t take 5 mins to get from top to bottom. I also love it when a number of resorts join up to make a massive ski area (eg. les 3 vallees) so you can vary the runs you take. For example, I’m a big fan of Val Thorens, Alpe D’Huez and Serre Chevalier.

The apres-ski is also a point to consider, as i'm young and like a drink, but the skiing is the main consideration. I would much rather take a great ski area with average après ski than a lively resort offering cr*p skiing.

I should be going out with a group of mates who are all of mixed abilities, so the resort would also need to cater for beginners/intermediates, but since I’m organising it I’m going to be a bit selfish on this one and primarily look for great expert skiing. With regards to finances, as long as its not a ridiculously expensive resort I’m open to offers, as I know that anywhere in the Alps isn’t going to come cheap.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the best resorts I should be looking at? All comments would be very welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton together with Zurs and Lech. 278km same ski pass but bus needed to get to the last two. St Anton might not be good for beginners but Lech is. Amazing apres.

Ischgl. 238km. High, snow sure, quick lifts, apres, linking with Samnaun in Switzerland.

Saalbach. 200km. Lower than above two but superb scenery, pistes and apres...

Serfaus. 187km. Lesser known in UK but again large, modern and high.

Check this website for details and links:

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-07-10 12:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I second Tom W's recommendations apart from Saalbach but only because I haven't been there! It gets good write ups though...

With Ischgl you've also got the option of the small resort of Galtür a few kilometres up the valley and this has some easier terrain for less experienced skiers. The two resorts are linked by bus.

All of the above have something to offer the more advanced skier including decent off piste opportunities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PinballWizard, St Anton will keep you more than happy at the level of skiing you're at together with the stomping apres (
http://youtube.com/v/aPgHHFcKycU ). Beginners in the group will be catered for at the Nasserein part of town or in the Rendl area. St Anton is expensive as Austrian resorts go but still cheaper than Val d, 3V etc. St Anton has something for everyone basically and makes a great destination for groups.

Ischgl should also be on the radar, although I've only skied there one day - spent the rest of the week further down the valley in Kappl which would be a great value base to explore the valley. The skiing (from what I encountered) is not as difficult as St Anton

You could also look at Gerlos in the Zillertal arena as a lot of the accomodation is ski in ski out. Gets a good rep for apres (mainly Dutch and German). Mayrhofen is great but cable car up to ski area and sadly back down to village.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-07-10 13:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After year of "high in France" we went to Soll (Ski Welt) two years ago for our main trip and St Anton last year. Soll felt different from the the French ski areas - shorter runs but interesting terrain and loads of it - and great apres - just loads of people, all ages having a great time. St Anton was more like the mega french areas - apres even more full on if you wanted it. A couple more points - I agree that St Anton is intimidating for early intermediates - and I didn't think Lech and Zurs were ideal for them either, though most say otherwise. And the ski hire costs in St Anton are exorbidant - far more expensive than France - 150+ euros for standard carvers and boots and a complete cartel going on. With my own kit I'd go back to St Anton in an instant but hiring for the kids is a rip off.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally, I much prefer Austria to France. In fairness though, it has been over ten years since I last skied in France. My biggest issue is accommodation, France mostly seems to be self-catering apartments and chalets, neither of which really appeal to me. Austria is mostly hotels and you can find some real gems of small friendly pensions. The other big differences are picture postcard pretty villages and nightlife, both of which are much harder to find in France. With regards to skiing, there are no green runs in Austria, only blue, red and black but often the piste grading is a bit lower than France and the piste grooming is generally better.

I'd recommend Kitzbuhel and Ski Welt areas. I'm still to visit Saalbach, Ski Amade, Zillertal, Ishgl, etc. but they're all on my list.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria resorts tend to be smaller and not inked mainly by roads. For example St Anton and Lech can only be reached by buses for the normal skiers. The locals are also dead against mega development so the amount of accommodations available stops a resort from overgrowing.

Their resorts are evolved to cater the Austrians mainly who would have car transport so a visitor can park free in every Austrian resort. I remember paying my parking in an underground car park in Saalbach but was told the ticket could be used as voucher for a similar reduction in the ski pass.

Austrian accommodations are flexible in that it is not necessary to book the whole week as the locals seldom do that either.

Ischgl, Serfaus, Ski Welt are Kitzbuhel, well linked big areas. Other large areas like Ski Amade and Zillertal can do with a car as buses will not be efficient to cover a large area. Mind you individual areas like Mayrhofen in Zillertal and Schladming or Bad Gastien in Ski Amade are respectable large skiing resorts of their own.

Many Austria ski passes entitle the holders to ski other neighbouring resorts. Think a 4 days or more ski pass in Zillertal will automatically covers the user all the 7 unlinked resorts in the valley. Ski Amade pass is the other famous ski pass covering 25 facilities, 860km piste and 270 chairlifts for the whole region.

The ultimate ski pass could be the Italian Dolomites super ski pass covering 1200km piste and 12 skiing areas. From memory I paid less for these super ski passes than that in 3V. Think only the Swiss can match the French asking prices for their top resorts.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 29-07-10 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In order, starting from the best:

1 - St Anton
2 - Ischgl
3 - Kitzbuhel or Saalbach, can't decide which.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to ski the Arlberg on more of a budget, you might try Stuben.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
In order, starting from the best:

1 - St Anton
2 - Ischgl
3 - Kitzbuhel or Saalbach, can't decide which.

If you have your own transport, you can get a single pass that covers both of the last two (plus Ski Welt, Zell am Zee/Kaprun/Schneewinkel and a couple of other smaller areas). For a week it only costs about 30 euros more than the iondividual area passes.

St Anton and Iscghl have the reputation of being a fair bit more expensive (by Austrian standards).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check out MAYRHOFEN, big ski area, good night life.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004 wrote:
If you want to ski the Arlberg on more of a budget, you might try Stuben.

Sure but he wanted apres...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like the sound of Ischgl but looking on the net it seem very expensive at a starting price of £850.00 for a 3star HB package deal. Is there any better deals out there I am looking to go the end of January and there will be 8-10 of us Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure that that price is necessarily very expensive if you are looking for a hotel half board with flights booking now. That said Hotel Albona (which is a four star) looks like it might do that for closer to £800.

As a comparison you might want to have a look at somewhere like Alpine Answers or Iglu to see what chalets would cost. There are some nice ones in St Anton for around that price in that week . St Anton (compared to say Ischgl) tends to have more of the UK market and therefore more of the UK tour operators (which tends to mean chalets rather than hotels).

clarky999's list looks about right.
ski holidays
Glen Charman, Ischgl is pretty expensive for hotels, something that's always deterred us. You could look at Ski Total, end of Jan in 4* chalet hotel is £724 http://www.skitotal.com/AccommodationDetails.aspx?accomId=2032 . We went with them to Lech last year and they were fine, thinking of this chalet hotel ouselves this year.
latest report
cathy, I have found the same chalet from Ski Line for £670.00 going on the 23 Jan and £678 going on the 30 Jan with group and early booking discount If my group go to Ischgl and your group was going around that time maybe we could combine booking and get a bigger discount
snow conditions
Hi Pinball Wizard I would highly recommend St Anton, it seems to have all that you want! I live there and have a website devoted to the village and skiing in the region, you may wish to check it out: www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk
snow conditions
I'd go along with the Arlberg recommndations, but I notice:

PinballWizard wrote:
....With regards to finances, as long as its not a ridiculously expensive resort .......

Now that is a problem if Arlberg bound.
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
Glen Charman, Ischgl is pretty expensive for hotels, something that's always deterred us.

I've often thought a good way to do Ischgl would be to stay at Kappl or Galtur, each has its own worthwhile ski area, good regular (every 10 mins from Galtur and every hour from Kappl) skibus links to Ischgl, the shared Silvretta liftpasss and a good selection of accommodation at normal Austrian prices, just find something near a local lift and one of the valley bus stops:

http://www.kappl.com/en-skiing-holiday-paznaun.htm

http://www.galtuer.com/en-skiing-holiday-tyrol.htm

http://www.ischgl.com/en-ski-bus-schedule-paznaun-landeck.htm
snow report
As Tom W, suggested, I'd put Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis up there. It is a big area by Austrian standards, and has a really good mix of skiing together with, in my view, the best lift system in the Alps. It's also quite a lot higher than Saalbach/Kitz etc. Whilst it's short on moguls and ski routes, it has some of the best steep piste skiing I've ever encountered, and when it snows it doesn't get tracked anywhere near as quickly as St A/Ischgl etc. The Masner area is also a pretty good spot for off piste/terrain if that's your bag.

If you're soley in for steep stuff, St. A is the one to go for, although beginners/timid intermediates might find it a bit of a struggle. It's also a bit pricier.

Ischgl is also a good bet, although I always think it's a bit of a soulless skiarea (although the town is ace)- lots of above tree line motorways, and loads of lifts in a relatively small area. Not skied there much though.

I'd also recommend Obergurgl, although the area is a bit smaller and it also tends to be quite pricey, and Mayrhofen/Tux is also great fun, although it's a pain to get the lift back down into town (staying in Finkenberg would circumvent this though).

To be honest though, I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the big resorts in Salzburgerland or Tirol - they're all great! Am similarly biased to them against the french ski factories!
snow report
luigi, My group will want some nightlife which is why I was looking at Ischgl
PinballWizard, I would recommend St Anton my group had a great time there great skiing and good nightlife but you have to put up with euro trash music
latest report
Glen Charman wrote:
luigi, My group will want some nightlife which is why I was looking at Ischgl

Mmmm, I can't imagine Galtur and Kappl being too lively, last buses leave Ischgl about 6.30, so you could catch the early apres boot stomp, late nights would be a taxi job and probably negate the saving. Sad
ski holidays
I´m off to Galtur in January, I would have liked to have stayed in Ischgl but it would have cost me more than the Half Board hotel I booked, the Alpenrose in Galtur, as it would for a B&B in Ischgl! Shocked

Late night Taxi charges won´t bother me too much as I´m only planning 1 or 2 nights out in Ischgl! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Glen Charman, Although we got the bus to and from Ischgl when we stayed at Kappl, it turns out that the taxi would have cost €15 and takes 6/7 people? Hotel Auhof is right at the base of the runs in Kappl, 2 seconds from the gondola, beside the bus stop and believe it or not has an excellent apres ski bar. It could make an excellent base for groups looking to explore the region but not spend a fortune. It is 4 star but a lot cheaper than the 4 stars in Ischgl. Did not stay there but spend most afternoons there enjoying the apres whilst the kids slid up and down the hill and generally avoided piste bashers Very Happy
snow conditions
For fun per € Mayrhofen takes some beating. Big beer at only €3,50 on the mountain and plenty of good bars. The skiing is great too, and the gondola down not a big problem.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, I agree the gondola down is not a big problem but the gondola UP is, or can be if you get there at the wrong time. It's often quicker to get the bus to Horbergbahn, especially if you have to catch the bus to the Penkenbahn from where you are staying.
latest report
ellmau and scheffau are charming places. Skiwelt is as much fun as you make it assuming you get lucky with the weather.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would vote for Dachstein West personally, its got three airports within two hours drive, so its nicely accesible and you can be on the slopes as soon as possible. The Salzburg Airport is just an hour away (by car), so you can be on the piste quickly.
ski holidays
I'm hoping to go to Bad Hofgastein this coming winter.
snow conditions
I've never skied in Austria but have managed to put somehing together for St Anton for next February half term. Looking forward to it very much now.
ski holidays
rich.ll, about time I saw you again! wink
snow report
rumdiary wrote:
ellmau and scheffau are charming places. Skiwelt is as much fun as you make it assuming you get lucky with the weather.

Nah, not for the OP. The SkiWelt does have some good stuff, but you have to go well off the beaten track to find anything remotely challenging, the pistes and offpiste itineraries/routes are all easy. The best stuff is found over ont he Westendorf side.
ski holidays
I found Solden cheap (comparatively) with lots of skiing (200 km?), a glacier and very lively apres
ski holidays
Im planning a trip to St Anton for the first week in Jan for a small group, if anyone can help with a couple of questions i'd be grateful...

Exactly how hard is the skiing... Me and girlfriend are very definitely intermediates, albeit adventurous ones I think. To give you an idea, we have about four weeks skiing under our belts, we have skied espace killy for a week and a half and Portes Du Soleil as complete beginners and on our last holiday. When skiing the PDS in March we stopped short of skiing the swiss wall but did the pretty steep (or it felt that way) mogul run down to plain dranse (if anyone knows it) and also started doing a bit of basic off piste. I'm not normally concerned about things but all the info I've read seems to suggest that the whole area is massively gnarly... We want to have fun and improve not survive!

Snow in early Jan... obviously not asking for what time of day its going to snow and what depth. Just wondered what peoples experiences (good and bad) of that time of year were. Is the snow making up to scratch if its a crappy start to the season?

provate lessons... some of the group are pretty good skiers but GF and I will be wanting to book a few hours of lessons (will probably focus on bumps technique) any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the help... already excited!
snow report
Bambi on ice, In previous year's the Arlberg Ski Schle was the only choice, and privates are (were?) expensive - recent events have made it easier for independant instructors to operate though, not sure where you'd find out about them though

The whole area is not massively gnarly - it gets this reputation 'cos most people go there for the offpiste, which in some places is fairly gnarly. In general, there aren't many easy pistes, although there aren't really any hard ones either, but things do often get quite mogully. It sounds like you'd be fine, most of the pistes are genuine red level though. Some easier stuff up Rendl, and the top of Kapall. It's not ideal for complete beginners though.

Snow should be fine, but there are also plenty of snow cannons - obv these depend on temperature though.
ski holidays
Bambi on ice, It is not like the pistes are that difficult there - but the grooming is poorer and bumps/moguls make it harder. Still plenty of blue/red runs. Make sure you go to Rendl, Zurs and Lech.
latest report
Quote:

but the grooming is better and bumps/moguls make it better

Fixed it ;D
snow report
Bambi on ice, I've been to St Anton and surrounding areas in early Jan a few times and the snow has always been great. The thing that can put nervous beginners off St Anton is a couple of things 1) quite a lot of the blues are undergraded (although ironically the blacks are fine, so too are the reds) and 2) the main run back to village Schiessbachtal (sp??) can get very busy after 2 - the run itself is a great run but can get very busy later on in the day. The skiing around Rendl is excellent - nice and quiet, fun park, good restaurants and pistes are the best groomed for St Anton. As others have mentioned the skiing around Lech and Zurs is well pisted too and less traffic. As clarky999, the 'bad ass muda fuka' rep comes from the off piste, and of course the apres Very Happy Very Happy
Try getting in touch with Dom Jonas from http://www.activetherapy.eu/about.php great value one to one lessons. We used him this year and thought his way of teaching was really good.
snow report
flangesax, I'm currently planning to be there from January 22 for a week (or maybe more).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy