Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Farmers could scupper Munich 2018 Olympic bid

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
German farmers could have the fate of Munich's 2018 Winter Olympic Games bid in their hands. The farmers say they are prepared to reject contracts opening their land to a possible 2018 Winter Olympic bid. Located near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the intended host venue of the Alpine ski competitions, the farmers have overwhelming denied the local Olympic commitee efforts to transform their farm lands into an Olympic venue.
...Garmisch Pasture Association chairman Josef Glatz has said that only two of around 80 property owners have agreed to make their land available for the event. Without the town's world renowned ski slopes, it is almost certain Munich's bid would be defeated.

Source: http://www.theskichannel.com/news/skinews/20100723/Munich-2018-Olympic-bid-in-trouble-ski-venue-threatened
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't Pyeongchang, South Korea being touted as the prime candidate having just missed out on 2010 and 2014 (assuming the region isn't a smoking crater if/when Dear Leader decides to kick off)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good for the farmers, I say.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the french bid might be happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Isn't Pyeongchang, South Korea being touted as the prime candidate

Looking at the South Korea ski areas I am surprised they get anywhere near consideration.

They do not get the best of write-ups.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/IG10Dg01.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beequin, All racing is done on artificial snow these days, they have held enough WC races in South Korea for the IOC to evaluate their bid.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, good point. I am sure it can be done, even for the XC races - although the Koreans might not have enjoyed watching Cypress struggle with the rain. However, as you say the last two votes suggest most of that has been addressed and it seems unlikely that Europe will get two games in a row (even though Sochi is almost in Asia).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, It doesn't matter what facilities they have at the moment. It's what they plan to have for the games. Sochi who are holding the 2014 games are building a completely new Alpine resort for the skiing. The first races are not being held there until the Europa cupa races next season.
I don't know hwere you get that information from but most racing is not actually done on artificial snow.They tend to try not to use it as is does not bind together anywhere near as well as natural snow, so courses tend to rut up and break down quicker. It is also much more abrasive snow than natural and needs different waxing. It's certainly not useed for the longer Downhill & Super G races. Racers definately do not like it. A lot of resorts only have a small covering of snow cannons anyhow. They do prepare the pistes to make them harder and icier especially at EC & WC level.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy