Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste.......Sella Ronda.......Dolomites..........[EDIT: Monte Rosa/Alagna Mar 2013]

Poster: A snowHead
Chances are I may be spending a week or two out there this coming season.

Preferences?

Decent terrain. Quiet (outside peak time) lifts, locals who can raise a (reasonbly) genuine smile.

I also caught bits about having mandated avi gear in certain areas in It, when off piste? Back country?

[Title Edit to update)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-02-13 20:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BCjohnny, I heard about the ruling for Piedmonte but not sure what the current position is for the Sella Ronda area (Trentino-Alto Adige). Some of the other SHs might be able to confirm?

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/6430/italy-passes-avalanche-law-for-off-piste-skiers-heavy-fines.

The Arraba/Marmolada area has some fantastic terrain (on and off piste) but I'm a real fan of the whole area, and each of the villages has something slightly different to offer. Just depends on what you are after - off piste or piste/budget/type of accommodation/apres ski etc?

If you are big into off piste and/or ski touring then a great book is Freeride in Dolomiti by Francesco Tremolada.

It's an awesome place!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out these trip reports from another forum, not sure about regulations as to needing a professional guide, but here's a link to a well-known guy who works out of Corvara but all of the other main Sella resorts (Arabba, Canazei, Selva) have off-piste guides, the main access point being the Sass Pordoi cablecar. There was a nasty avalanche incident here last winter and some Canazei mountain rescue guys died trying to save some 'experienced' off-pisters who went it alone.

The other forum may be a better place to get full answers to your question as those guys have been there and done it.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53437

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81695

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2355326

http://www.proguide.it/index.php/info/?lang=en

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/12/27/3684024-italy-avalanches-kill-7-including-4-rescuers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our off-piste holiday:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50606&highlight=Dolomites
And someone else's:
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
Our off-piste holiday:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50606&highlight=Dolomites
And someone else's:

Was going to add that I thought some of the TetonGravity guys also post on here and snowball
appears snowHead

Looks like you went it alone (without a guide).

BCjohnny, Arabba is probably the best base as it's well located for the Marmolada and Pordoi cablecars for 3000m height, not too far over to Cortina and it has some of the most challenging pistes in the area too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's last year's trip to the Dolomites:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154566

Both the one linked by snowheads above and this one were guided trips with Zeb Roche.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to all for the suggestions, and links, much appreciated.

The Arabba/Cananzei/Selva area obviously sprung to mind, glad it's well rated.

luigi, I spend most of my time off the groomers, so an area(s) that offer good all round choice would be preferred. I can't do the steepish stuff all day (not even some days, depending on the night before wink ), so a mix of terrain, some treelined, would fit the bill.

I Like a bit of nightlife, though not early hours stuff anymore, so a place with a couple of busy bars is enough. Good, local, simple, rustic food is my main choice, and although budget is not critical, posh hotels and fancy restaurants don't appeal anyway. Warm, clean and friendly/honest wholesome food is where I'm at.

Just by doing some general research, I'd come to the (probably wrong) conclusion that Selva may be a bit too touristy, Canazei & Arabba about right, and Campitello a bit quiet? Where does Corvara fit in?

Also, been a bit spoilt with queueing over last few years, and although not sure exactly when I'll be going, it will be "off-peak". I know you can get bottlenecks anywhere, but quieter midweek, and good chairlifts (de-tachables) are always a bonus.

So I guess the main priorities are: Good, mixed off-piste (non-guided, though a day or two might happen), good lifts/quietish midweek, simple clean/warm accom, good food, some nightlife, not too touristy........in that order.

Cheers, John.

p.s. I mistakenly put this in "The Piste" when it would be better suited to "Resorts"? Mods, please feel free to move it........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BCjohnny, I spend nearly all the time on piste, so not properly qualified to advise but natural snowfall in the Dolomites can be a bit erratic, pistes are OK because of extensive snowmaking topped up with some fresh, but it's not a place with reliable steep and deep, particularly in the midwinter.
As you can see from the reports above, there are some pretty extreme lines, gulleys, etc amidst spectacular scenery, these guys left it later in the season March/early April and were hitting those gulleys in the 2500-3000m range. 2009 was an exceptional snow year in the Dolomites, so you can't bank on deep powder through the trees (below 1800m) every year.

As to resort, you're right, Selva is the busiest, Corvara is quite posh and has the gentlest of the piste skiing, Canazei and Arabba are smaller but there are a few places to go for a drink and if the Russians or Danes are in town, it can get lively! It can get busy on the lifts on the Sella Ronda circuit at peak times (don't go at New Year). Best bet is go in mid/late March if it's been a good snow season and it's still cold enough for more and then you'll have the place to yourself!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi, thanks.

I'm drawn to the Dolomites because of all the reviews about the area in general, the villages, the whole eastern thing.

The other area of choice would be Champoluc/Gressoney/Stafal/Alagna, particularly the freeride area around Alagna, in the west. I would guess with the relief, snowfall (in any given year) would promise more off-piste. But compared to the Dolomites, how does it stack up?

I'm pretty sure I will go east, snow allowing, but anyone have any experience of the Monte Rosa area?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would think monte rosa wins hands down for off piste and back country and snow fall, but nightlight gets progressively worse each village along..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
juliad, BCjohnny, I heard about the ruling for Piedmonte but not sure what the current position is for the Sella Ronda area (Trentino-Alto Adige). Some of the other SHs might be able to confirm?

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/6430/italy-passes-avalanche-law-for-off-piste-skiers-heavy-fines.

Does anyone know any more about this, the implications seem quite immense? Would the insurance company now have a ready made reason for not paying out if you made a claim for an accident, even quite near to the piste but you were found not to have the equipment mentioned? Would this now also apply in other places in Italy, France, Switzerland or Austria? Maybe we should have another thread for this as it does seem quite important for next season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny,
Quote:

Alagna

Alagna is high on my own list of places to ski for the off piste.

richardK, The avi gear question is true for Piedmonte, and off piste is off piste! but I am biased
Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, TBH if if was just terrain, and purely judging by reports I've read, Alagna (probably kipping in Gress/Champ) would probably be the first choice.

From an all round point of view, the Dolomite area has a lot of proponents, though. And the Sella Ronda is very well rated.

Guess I'll have to find time to do them both. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richardK,
I have spoken to the school office and they say "I don't know, but it should be OK".

The way it stands at the moment is that you're meant to have a guide if you go outside of the area of Piste - to you and me that’s the normal resort area. We can only take people off piste skiing within the ski resort area

(or in TallTone's case off piste swimming).

After the big slide that caused all the deaths earlier this year (just like in the UK) a lot of people jumped on the band wagon and started shouting that we need this new law and that new law, but as it is, you can already be jailed for causing an avalanche and also for being, as they say, in a danger area – which is basically anywhere they say is dangerous even if it wasn’t dangerous yesterday.

Of course there are lots of meetings going on but at the moment it's up to the local regions to sort out the problems.
see here but I think that meeting was planned naway as it happen only just after the big slide

The bit to watch out for in that piece is this
Siamo solo all’inizio di un percorso che richiede risposte urgenti in tema di sicurezza, di comportamenti e di proposta normativa e che sia in grado di promuovere e guidare al meglio le attività sociali, economiche e turistiche che si svolgono in montagna e alta montagna, risorsa insostituibile per le persone che vi risiedono e per i turisti che ne fruiscono.
Yep you got it, PC gone mad and lets make someone a criminal as they "may" do something, and why do they always (in any country) add in "e di proposta normativa" what a suprise.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
livetoski, Wayne, Thanks for the update for that area. So if you are skiing in that region anywhere off piste to be sure of staying away from any possible problems with the authorities, all your group MUST now carry the required gear if I am understanding correctly. As for where we ski, off piste can be anywhere as long as the avalanche level is not high. Ski touring is a part of the mountain culture and not restricted to in resort areas. I believe the Italian law is similar to France on this point.
snow conditions
richardK, to be fair richard if you are skiing off piste then avi gear should be a must have item for all the group. IMHO regarding off piste then as said above off piste is off piste regardless of the avi risk factor and regardless of how far off the piste you are.

I do not necessarly agree with laws being passed that state you should have all the gear or a minimum, the Italy situation says Transceiver, shovel and probe, however there is lots of other avi gear around, god forbid they turn round and say that you have to have an airbag as well!!

Wayne, I bet these meetings are fun, how do they work it out? transceiver, shovel probe. OK then what type of transceiver, what type of shovel or min length of probe, how should the gear be carried in a pack on the outside of a pack OMG the questions raised must just go on and on.
latest report
As to your question regarding Monte Rosa, I can say (having just returned) that we looked at both area's and went for Monte Rosa in the end. We have not regretted our choice and will most likely return there next year as we feel we've just scracthed the surface of what Monte Rosa has to offer.

As for staying, Champoluc has the most to offer when it comes to accomodation and bars/restaurants. Stafal is the most central of the villages when it comes to lift access, but there is nothing to do in the evening as far as I could see. We stayed in St Jaques which is about a mile up from Champo en there's a lift station (Frachy) inbetween the two villages.

Enjoy where ever you end up!
snow conditions
Oh crap, I've just necro'd a post Embarassed
ski holidays
Yamabushi wrote:
Oh crap, I've just necro'd a post Embarassed

Forgot about this, but how spooky's that...........?

Got back today from a road trip in Canada and have just texted my mate about going out to Monte Rosa, specifically the Alagna area, ten minutes ago! Looking to go in a week or two, and try the runs down from the Punte Indren etc. Probably be driving over, for maybe a couple of weeks, maybe taking in some other places on the hoof. If it sounds good, or if you're out there, pm me.

No, didn't get out there then, other trips got precedence.

Changed thread title to suit.......
latest report
Haha, that is indeed spooky.. Unfortunately I'm no longer there, or in a positition to go again anytime soon. There's plenty of good off piste runs to do (if you're willing to hike a bit) and other resorts in the Aosta valley to discover, namely Valtournenche/Breuil-Cervinia or a bit further away, Courmayeur/La Thuile.

This map might come in handy too:

http://www.monterosa.com/Portals/0/images/Pistmaps/Monterosa-off-piste-Map-Big.jpg

Enjoy!
snow conditions
Not sure if you already know about the Monte Rosa off-piste book: Polvere Rosa by Marco Rizzi, published by Idee Verticali Edizioni. It is dual Italian/English.
Italian 1:25,000 maps are not as good as French ones, they mark 25m contours instead of 10m contours.
ski holidays
Yamabushi, I already have the link, but many thanks for posting it up anyway.

snowball, no I didn't, so thanks, I'll look that up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy