Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ghost town at the Ski Club of Great Britain message board

Poster: A snowHead
I was just on the 'other-side' and it is like a ghost town really. David Goldsmith is valiantly trying to keep it going but there has only been 1 post on any of the fori today!! Thank God for snowheads where life can carry on as normal Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think there were only about 6 yesterday, as I said previously on SCGB forum will the last one out turn off the lights Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What?? Where??? Someone's posted a message there????? I'll have to go look quickly.... Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should I sign up to this exciting place you guys talk about? snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
although snowHeads seems to have taken over from SCGB very successful, the boarders forum over here doesn't seem as vigorous as it was over there before MO day. did some of those guys go somewhere else?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess that there were other snowboard forums up and running before MO day. WTFH the SCGB is not that bad, with hindsight, they have made a mistake over the forum though. I save at least my membership in discounts each year, just got £60 off ferry crossing. Still pissed off with them though Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just cancelled the direct debit!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well that makes about 8 posts on the SCGB site but 5 or 6 were agreeing with David about it being a ghost town, I suspect what happened is that all most all the keen posters came here and just the lurkers were left behind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keen posters? When are they going to start posting here, then?! Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Darkside was pretty quiet on SCGB until shortly before MO day; we didn't manage to track down many...

I reckon critical mass of posters is about 100-150, that's the point at which I found that I couldn't keep track of all of what was going on snowHeads (without losing my job...) Very Happy

It would be an interesting exercise for SCGB to see how much they could boost usage by, for example, seeing how many of a random sample of 100 members they could persuade to start "using"....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you take Ian Hopkinson, D G Orf, David Goldsmith, and a few others.....look at the number of posts they've racked up here on snowHeads when they could be posting on SCGB. The ski club could work at getting them back (not that we're letting them go snowHead )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slightly off-topic, but...

A number of places that offer ski club discounts will give the same discount to non-ski club members.

I've managed it - you say up front that you're not a SCGB member, but if you can't secure a discount you'll go somewhere else. Obviously doesn't work with something like ferry crossings, but in other, more competitive industries you can still get money off.

Sorry, I can be a bit of a cheapskate sometimes!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, yes, but mine contain little information Shocked unlike those of DGO and DG who are both highly informative Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I try. I'm not always right because most of my info comes from my slightly poor memory, see the buying a property abroad thread where ise is very kindly correcting my errors regarding Switzerland, when it's important though I have always tried to check the details snowHead

Ok I'm a sad muppet and have a permanent internet connection plus I've not been doing a lot of paying work lately so I've had the time to post a lot of useless and a little useful stuff both here and on the SCGB site
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quietly guys, although I am a bona fide member, the ferry company concerned never asked me for my member number. I could have been some frightful chap who wouldn't drink G&Ts on deck with the skipper Wink Could just have been an aberration on their part though!
snow report
masopa, whatever it takes to get that big rock in Antwerpen ay?
snow report
There were just 12 posts in total on the SCGB website yesterday over 7 threads I think that just about sums up what the SCGB did to itself. Snowheads by comparison had several hundred messages posted in the same time
snow report
No posts today so far!
latest report
Which is all the more reason for SCGB to support snowHeads snowHead
snow report
Elizabeth In what way would you want the ski club to support snowheads? -just curious
ski holidays
Maybe because we are doing their job for them ? Laughing
latest report
true blue, an excellent start would have to acknowledged snowHeads existence in the e-mail to registered users. This was certainly raised before the e-mail was sent, but to no effect.
snow conditions
I think it would greatly benefit both parties for a link to exist...us to promote them, and them to advertise/fund us. The reason they say that they stopped non-member access to their chat area was for legal reasons. If they support snowHeads, they still get the benefit, but without the risk.
snow report
The SCGB Snowboard forum has finally died: no current threads at all.
latest report
Ditto for the Instructors/Guides forum and the members meet up will go the same way after today unless someone posts soon, 3 others havn't had a post in almost a week, and if it were'nt for the complaints even the General forum would be almost dodo like in its appearence
ski holidays
R.I.P. SCGB forae

Floreat SnowHeads.

Endorse Elizabeth's suggestion of bi-directional links. Or even a text signpost if SCGB feel a link might smack of endorsement. Nothing to stop them giving a mention to a few other active snowsports forums while they're at it.
latest report
ian don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen
snow conditions
kuwait_ian wrote:

Endorse Elizabeth's suggestion of bi-directional links. Or even a text signpost if SCGB feel a link might smack of endorsement. Nothing to stop them giving a mention to a few other active snowsports forums while they're at it.

Yeah right... and hell might freeze over. I can't see the ski club endorsing or linking to anything (assuming they know how to link, that is) that they are not involved with or get some financial benefit from.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sherman that's a little unkind, only a little mind you, I'm convinced that ian's idea could work, so sure am I that the ski club will take it up as soon as they here of it that I am going to despatch one of my well known flying pigs, in a blue striped neon jersey, to inform them of it, at once Cool
snow report
I am sure that SCGB would be very reluctant to do anything to promote what they must feel is a 'break away' group.
ski holidays
Chris - I (naively perhaps) genuinely think that they're not against us. Maybe not supporting us, but I think Laura and co are happy that we have a new playground....if only because it gets us out of their hair.
snow report
I tend to agreed with you Elizabeth. The last post I read over there seemed to suggest that of those members left that use the forum, the overall view was that they're tired of the attempts by those of us who still care to keep the discussion in the limelight. They appear to accept that if the forum dies as a result of the lack of interest, then the SC's scarce resources could be better spent elsewhere.

As someone suggested, 97% of the SC membership evidently don't use the forum, so they are hardly likely to mourn it's passing. A very narrow viewpoint when weighed against the growth of the internet and the reach it has into everyday life.
ski holidays
Yes vey true unfortunately I think they're wrong I suspect that quite a high percentage may have used the forums if only as lurkers, with maybe the odd post from time to time, the people who seem glad everyone else has left don't seem to either realise or care that the only significant posts these days are from those of us who also post here, they are not winning many friends, they whinge about the people who complain and tell us to post something more wworthwhile but they themselves cannot post anything worthwhile, does anyone else thing that wrong ?
snow conditions
D G Orf, the only response that comes to mind is, "Then why are you bothering to post over there?"

Here's an idea: every time someone asks a question there, answer it here and post a link to it there! Wink
snow conditions
It's a good question ssh unfortunately I'm not sure of the answer
ski holidays
D G Orf, I am sure you are right: a small number of members may have actually posted, but many more (how many?) may have visited.
I note you use the term "lurker". According to Wintermet (http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame58.html) this is a (derogatory) term for surfers who just come to watch and listen. Why should that gain such a nasty term as Lurker? I only recently started posting on forums. It seemed quite brave to do: you lot might sneer at my ignorance of etiquette or slang. In fact everyone here is very suportive, but not true of all forums.
I think shy listeners should be welcomed and encouraged, not criticised.

I also visit SCGB a couple of times a day and put in the odd post. Why? Mainly to rescue the few lost souls who stumble into the place thinking it might offer some support or advice and guide them over to Snowheads.
snow report
I wouldn't consider 'lurker' to be a term of abuse.

Both the old SCGB and snowHeads have a very welcoming attitude to new posters, and if people don't want to post then that's fine too. I've not been a user of online forums until the SCGB site and I don't think I posted that much there.

I still go over to SCGB quite regularly - doesn't take long to read everything!
latest report
Sorry I didn't mean to be derogatory, I simply could not come up with another descriptive term for someone who reads but does not take part in the conversation
latest report
I think Jonpim, has a very valid point. This board has its own culture and it is friendly, welcoming and positive.

I think the emoticons help too. It can be easy to get misunderstood when typing and irony, in particular, can easily be lost.

New posters have a few barriers to overcome and it can sometimes feel a bit like joining in a party that has been going on for sometime and where you know no-one, but everybody else knows everyone and all the in-jokes etc.

Another easy assumption to make is that you are joining in a conversation among experts and might seem crass. OK I know very well we are not experts, but I think newbies sometimes feel that way.
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, I wasn't accusing DGO of abuse, just unhappy that the common term for "Browsers" (a DGO term in another thread) is unfortunately rather derogatory. I refer you to http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/lurk:
Definition:
1. wait in hiding to attack
2. be about; "The high school students like to loiter in the Central Square"; "Who is this man that is hanging around the department?"
3. lie in wait, lie in ambush, behave in a sneaky and secretive manner
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy