Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I believe her?

Poster: A snowHead
My eldest came home excited saying that she can do skiing as part of a GCSE course starting next yesr when she goes to highschool.

When 'I were a lad' school PE was standing in the rain having sodden medicine balls thrown at you.

Anyone else have such superb exams to use as an excuse to spend more of the family income on? Purely to help our delightfull offspring 'prepare for their exams' you understand Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

https://www.viamonde.com/download/edexcel.pdf
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevindonkleywood, My Zit 2 did skiing as one of her 4 sports for PE GCSE so we had to make a couple of extra trips to the Alps to get her videoed (by Easiski). It was a tough job to do, but I stepped up to the plate to be the one to take her.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood, yes, she's correct to say that skiing can be one of the optional sports presented as part of a GCSE portfolio. You will need to get an instructor to sign off video footage of her skiing against the GCSE criteria. It's been a couple of years since I last looked at those criteria and IIRC they were rather old fashioned in how they described the technical requirements, but I think that the majority of what is required can be done on your local artificial or indoor slope if you're looking to dampen your daughter's enthusiasm wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The requirement is fairly basic, in that you need to show a series of runs demonstrating progression from snowplough to parallel, showing good technique. I do not recommend doing it on plastic - my daughter tried doing it with me filming, but we abandoned the idea and went back to netball. Indoor might be better - remember you will need to ask the centre for permission to film.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood, All perfectly possible and my daughters school organise the videoing during the school ski trip.
So no need for an extra trip or parents to attend wink snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beequin wrote:
remember you will need to ask the centre for permission to film.

why?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevindonkleywood, My son, another snowHead , did skiing as part of his GCSE as well and I felt compelled to get him as much skiing as possible. It was tough but someone had to do it. Little Angel We didn't have to get him videoed, but he was assessed by an Instructor at Chill Factor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have done a few GCSE assessments in our resort and over in Madonna and Passo Tonale when parents or teachers with groups ask for them.

The kids take them really seriously. Have never been asked to video sessions but just to certify that they can perform various tasks. Just have to run the session then sign off and stamp the card with the ski school stamp.

Strange thing though, each education authority seems to have their own criteria for attaining a mark, so don’t think there is a national standard for this and some of the assessment forms seem designed more to ensure that everyone gets a high mark.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just incredible!! "O" levels in PE Puzzled What is it with the UK system? In our day the only doss subject was RK (religious knowledge)!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

why?

where have you been the last few years, nbt?

My husband's niece did skiing for an AS level or something. It was I who tried to film her - and was quite useless. She had a ski lesson and got the instructor to do it, which was much more successful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

why?

where have you been the last few years, nbt?

My husband's niece did skiing for an AS level or something. It was I who tried to film her - and was quite useless. She had a ski lesson and got the instructor to do it, which was much more successful.

I am interested why someone would feel the need to ask the centre's permission to film. Just film. You're not doing anything wrong.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, Kids, CRB an' all that. Anyone with a camera is a kiddy fiddler you know Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, precisely my point. CRB has bug all to do with filming. Just get on with life and use some common sense
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My lad also did skiing as part of his PE GCSE's think it was at the Wycombe ski slope, in the 6th Form College he did Football to NVQ level 3 shame there is not a Higher NVQ in Skiing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
livetoski
I know this may be the wrong forum to ask this Toofy Grin but what is the point of an NVQ in skiing (or football for that matter).
And, has anyone ever benifited from having a GCSE in PE Puzzled
latest report
Wayne, LOL the NVQ in football took him to Level 3 Coaching for the FA which means he could coach up to Conferance level straight out of 6 th form, some of the kids did go on to do this, he just went skiing!!! (no surprises there)

I was thinking that maybe if there was an NVQ Skiing it could adopt something similar and take kids to a certain level in Ski instruction or coaching etc.

On the football side of things, there are only a hand full of colleges that do it in the UK, my lad got to play football with international players who were doing there full PFA badges

My neice also did the same course (different College) so its not just a boy thing!!!
snow conditions
You can't film because it is against the facilities rules. Whether that is sensible of not is another question.
It's worth asking given the curcumstances.

Its not a GCSE in skiing. You have to show a number of sports to a certain level as part of the PE GCSE

It works well doing the assessment on a school skiing trip.
Just make sure your child tells the instructor on the first day.
The number of times I have had a member of staff turn up on the last day with a video camera and say "I need to video johnny doing xyz" & I haven't taught poor Johnny how to do xyz yet !
It also means the instructor can find appropriate terrain to do the video on.
snow conditions
Whilst on a lift this year a, quite excitedly, asked his dad if he could put his ski school cert. in for P.E gcse. His dad looked at him and calmly said he would have been able to but the lad was overlooking one slight problem.
His holiday form was rejected and the had to take him off school sick Laughing
I was starting to wonder why he had his whole head covered in gogs and buffs and stuff. He had to be protected from panda eyes. Laughing Laughing
latest report
ricfrench, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
nbt wrote:
beequin wrote:
remember you will need to ask the centre for permission to film.

why?

Because it is their premises and they want to make money out of any filming that goes on.

They can ban all filming or photography if they wish and I would expect most to ban it unless you get permission first (which may well be charged for).

But they may well try to hide behind Child Protection issues, which are actually completely and utterly irrelevant.
ski holidays
No problem with photos or video at The Snow Centre in Hemel when you're out on the slope, anyone can do it without needing to ask permission. There are signs in the changing area that say no photo or video, but that seems to be observed more in the breach...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy