Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere (again) or La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm pretty certain that we'll be going to Claviere again this year, but i also don't mind the look of La Rosiere.

Anyone been to both places and got any good/bad points about La Roseire compared with Claviere.

There'll be me (good skier*), wife (advancing beginner) and our wee girl (who was two at the weekend and has never been on skis yet.

We know Claviere and a few of the residents well and won't hear a bad word said against it, apart from lack of swimming pool which would be nice for the wee one. It is small and quiet but has access to some great skiing if you know where to look Very Happy

Looking at going March 20th for a week and booking through Crystal Ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly, personally I think there are much better places to go than Claviere. Presume you'd be going to the Crystal Club hotel (Grand Hotel??) - stayed there a few years back and though the food and staff were fine but really in need of some money being spent on it. As far as Claviere went - I just did not get it Puzzled

I've not done it myself, but would you not be better looking at Ski Esprit. Constantly getting great reviews on here. From memory think they go to Saas Fee from Scotland which is probably a much better choice of resort for the stage you're at, both in skiing terms and things to do for your 2 year old. From memory Claviere has very little for young ones, in fact anyone when I come to think of it. You could look at the Club Hotel Tourquoise in Belle Plagne which is a great venue, with creche in house - 4 hour transfer though from Lyon.

I would highly recommend speaking to Anne at the Ski Travel Centre in Glasgow. She really does know her stuff and gives great advice. http://www.ski-travel-centre.co.uk/index2.htm Not the flashiest of websites but think that's down to the fact she would rather speak with you to see exactly what you want/need.

If you don't mind going independent have a good look at Kappl or Serfaus. We had a great family holiday in Kappl this year and will go to Serfaus once my bank balance improves Sad . Kappl has a great area for kids up the hill for doing loads of indoor and outdoor activities, so you can ski to the place and meet your daughter for lunch etc. Most of the chairs have a black, red or blue option that meet up. Very good value too wink We've booked again for next year
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the reply.

Over the past two seasons, i've contacted Esprit to have a brochure sent out and nothing has ever turned up. I've spoke to them on the phone a couple of times as they say that's their preferred method, but i'd like to see a brochure. I've registered to get this years sent out but i don't hold out much hope!

I've heard nothing but good things about them though, so maybe...

One of the reasons we're fond of Claviere is that it is quiet and that we know a few locals now and like to see them every now and then. Not set on going, but it'd be nice to be in the place again. Were you there before or after all the new lifts went in?

I'll have a look at that ski travel centre and see what they have to offer. I'll also try Ski Independence in Edinburgh.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, La Rosiere is nothing on Lake Louise Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, were there in Jan 2007 with the kids, and kinda spoiled by the fact we went to Oberlech a few weeks later without the kids. My overriding memory was the fact it needed upgrading on a lot of fronts, which by the sounds of things they may have done (tunnel and new lifts). We felt things instantly improve as soon as you went the French side (infrasctructure, sign posting etc). The pizza's in Kilt were the best I've ever tasted - went there on Hogmanay wearing said kilt

My neighbour has a flat in Saas Fee and is constantly telling me to head there, but I'm put off by the 3 hour transfer. Loads of snow related things to do for young kids, which from memory Claviere had a complete lack of
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yeah... Claviere is lacking in kids related activities... Mind you, lots of snow to play in Very Happy

I'll look into options. As it is, with crystal ski, it's coming in at £1,800 for the three of us including half day childcare through the week on half board basis.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly,
If you are going late March and will mainly be skiing locally to go back and forwards to the sprog it may be worth bearing in mind that Claviere has a lot of North facing skiing whereas La Ros is mainly south facing and you have to cross over to La Thuile for the North and East facing stuff.
La Ros is reliable for snow but you can be skiing a lot of slusha and ice at that time of the year on south facing slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK... i now have another option on the table, and at first glance, it's a dead cert.

forget claviere, forget La Ros...

Couchevel 1850 could be the place!

I've just been on the phone to Esprit Holidays and they have quoted me just over £1,800 for a full week half board including flights, transfers and child care each day!

I think i need to start a new Courchevel thread!!!! NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly, seems like a good deal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly - we've been to claviere (from montgenevre), la rosiere the year before, and to the 3 valleys (skied to courcheval from val thorens) years ago pre children.

Lots of people seem to love the 3 valleys but we didn't. Of the larger resorts we've been to we liked Les Arcs far more than 3 valleys. Child friendly companies like esprit go to les arcs too I think.

La Rosiere/la thuile definitely worth doing for one week (maybe not enough there to entice us back for a second week though). We stayed in les cimes blanches appartments in the new les eucharts area of la rosiere. Appartments were very luxurious and fab pool complex. We booked the appartment through ski collection and used the ESF creche in les eucharts which was very good. If you would rather an english run creche I think Crystal do these appartments and have childcare in la rosiere. Esprit also have chalets in la rosiere but we preferred the more luxurious self catering appartments and wanted to travel by train which was not an option with Esprit. We skied over to la thuile a few times and there was a good variety of runs on the Italian side. The Italian side had loads of fresh snow when we were there..la rosiere was quite windy at new year and the snow was blown around more but still ok. If you like claviere/montgenevre I think you'd enjoy la rosiere/la thuile as the level of the runs and amount of piste seemed similar. Also both areas have the fun of skiing between countries and enjoying a slightly cheaper lunch in Italy.

I think it was you who kindly gave me the detailed map of claviere/montgenevre last year..we tried several of the runs you recommended in claviere and the map was very useful. When your wee girl is old enough to do ski school I'd recommend staying in Montgenevre and skiing to claviere from there. The Apeak ski school in montgenevre was excellent and montgenevre has a large beginner area and the green run from the top of godrans (expect you remember this).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 21-07-10 12:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, if you haven't already checked it out, try www.skifamille.co.uk. Never let us down in 8 years and about 15 holidays.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowymum, glad the map was of good use Smile

Seems we have lots to ponder. I'll also take a look at Les Arcs, although getting flights to the correct airport to avoid long transfer times may be an issue.

All of these replies are much appreciated people of snowheads!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy