Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights to Canada - anyone got any cheap alternatives that allow skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, bit of a niche one, but with BA slashing their allowances and bumping surcharges everywhere, my usual option is looking very expensive. The alternative at the mo seems to be Canadian Affair, but their 20kg + £10/kg baggage allowance doesn't sound great when I know for sure I brought 43kg of bags home, and left at least 40kg of skis in Fernie last year...

Suggestions on a postcard please Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, ship your bags separately?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveC, Canadian Affair (Thomas Cook planes) Premium Economy? You get 30kg. I had 20kg in my ski bag too and just spoke nicely to the check in girl coming back through Calgary Little Angel

You could at least try and get away with it and if not just upgrade to Premium @ £150 each way I think. Might work if the flight is a fair amount cheaper...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, did try calling them and apparently the Dec 1st flight I need (or at least, would prefer) doesn't have the premium option. Success stories about blagging the excess baggage fees would be appriciated, I've heard people paying like £400 in fees and people talking their way through it.

holidayloverxx, thinking about that - I can get out with pretty much nothing, but getting my gear home (since I'll hopefully be in NZ next summer, and probably not in Fernie next winter) seems a bit challenging - Fernie's a small place, not sure DHL will just rock up to collect a ski bag!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC wrote:
I know for sure I brought 43kg of bags home, and left at least 40kg of skis in Fernie last year...

Suggestions on a postcard please Toofy Grin

13 Stones of luggage... suggestion is 'Travel Lighter'

or

Try Air Canada - flown with them to Calgary from Gatwick before and they're ok.

From Air Canadas website...
Economy to/from Europe is 1 bag up to 23kg pp with an additional bag is $50CAD each way

Other tickets other than economy have higher luggage allowances eg Elite gets 3 bags up to 32kg each.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 19-07-10 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, The DHl drop off location is Fernie's Stationers according to their website.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check Air Canada - last year up to 32kg oversize/overweight baggage fee waived for sports equipment. Was fine from Heathrow but got unlucky with jobsworth on the way back and raped for additional 75 bucks on return at Calgary. Worth it though to get three pairs/3 bindings there and back though I reckon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Air Canada seem to be the exact same as BA as far as I can tell - same policies for bags/adding bags and equivilant prices.

holidayloverxx, thanks, I only assumed it didn't work because DHL couldn't give me a quote from Fernie's postcode. Will investigate further!

Richard_Sideways, I live there half my life, hard to only own 20kg of possessions Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC, Just booked our flights for next year, just over £500 from regional airport to SLC, factor in ski carriage of around £80 return ( cost of any extra piece which can be substitued for 23kg of skis/boots) and 23kg hold luggage. This makes it at least £60 cheaper than last year for the same trip.

Just checked and they fly to Calgary too for £548 + the extra for luggage.

Getting your gear back might be a little more tricky, but I'm sure with some thought it could be done. I think UPS/ FedEX/DHL will probably turn up to Fernie to collect parcels to be shipped - not sure on the costs though. It cost £65 to ship a pair of ski boots back to Big White the other year via Fed Ex !! Luckily it was worth it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, DHL genuinely are a worldwide service, and will pick up from/deliver to pretty well anywhere that has a geographiv address (no P.O. Boxes).

But it won't necessarily be much cheaper than paying for additional hold luggage. Booking online, for non account holders from the UK to Canada is £157 for 20-31.5Kg plus £4 per 0.5 kilo over that, and I assume it would be similar the other way. And thta is for parcels that are no more than 120 x 80 x 80 cm Anything outside those dimensions requires a quote from them.

https://www.dhlitnow.com/tws/tariff.aspx
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC, if you are looking in to shipping your stuff (with DHL especially) check out wedelivertheworld.com as they are agents for DHL but usually when I check them out they are cheaper Very Happy

Can give you success stories blagging extra luggage with Thomas Cook, BA and Air Canada. I flew Air Canada (BA->London then Air Canada from Heathrow->Toronto->Calgary) and didn't have to pay excess once even though my suitcase was c30kg and my ski bag well over 20! Might just be my like. Or the Ray-bans. I have some for sale if you are interested Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC wrote:
Richard_Sideways, I live there half my life, hard to only own 20kg of possessions Sad

Having been to Fernie, may i just say you lucky swine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy