Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using a G.P.S. to drive from the UK to Tignes.

Poster: A snowHead
I read on a site somewhere that it was not safe to use a G.P.S. to drive from the UK to Tignes because it apparently wouldn't show when high mountain roads were closed due to snow and wintery conditions. - Seemed sound advice.
But how about in the summer?
Anyone driven from Calais to Tignes by Sat Nav all the way in the summer (which I'm contemplating doing to try Glacier skiing). - Or is this still not a good idea?

If anyone's done it, are there any pitfalls? Or is it just as easy and convenient as using a G.P.S. to get around in the U.K. is?

Obviously I realise it'd be advisable to have backup maps and some idea of directions just in case. But a G.P.S. would certainly make life a lot easier, - so any advice on the reliability/feasibility of this would be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick May, I've not been to Tignes but used a TomTom to travel to Meribel with no problems. I did drive to Zermatt once and the satnav wanted to take me over a high mountain pass, so it's always worth checking the route it's giving you and reroute as necessary. Because of this I did check beforehand that the Meribel route only involved major roads until the final climb to the resort.

Welcome to Snowheads Nick May. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick May, welcome to SH's

I have driven numerous times to Les Arc, and St Foy, some sat navs take you via different routes or so I have been told Puzzled Never used a sat nav yet. The route from Calais to Tignes is really easy, mappy.com have a great planner which I found easy to follow the first couple of times.

The only section to look out for is at Lyon, but again mappy takes you the best way via the airport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick May, Welcome to snowheads. As above I can't see the point in using sat nav to the alps either winter or summer. Not only can they send you to closed mountain passes, but also up 'old' roads when new, wider, better ones are available. As livetoski, says, Tignes is very easy to find. Very Happy If I don't know the road I look at the map and jot down the major towns to head for. signs do the rest!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick May wrote:
I read on a site somewhere that it was not safe to use a G.P.S. to drive from the UK to Tignes because it apparently wouldn't show when high mountain roads were closed due to snow and wintery conditions. - Seemed sound advice.
But how about in the summer?
Anyone driven from Calais to Tignes by Sat Nav all the way in the summer (which I'm contemplating doing to try Glacier skiing). - Or is this still not a good idea?

If anyone's done it, are there any pitfalls? Or is it just as easy and convenient as using a G.P.S. to get around in the U.K. is?

Obviously I realise it'd be advisable to have backup maps and some idea of directions just in case. But a G.P.S. would certainly make life a lot easier, - so any advice on the reliability/feasibility of this would be much appreciated.

I've used a TomTom 900 to go to Tignes. I planned the route and used the TomTom as a moving map. It is essential that you know your route and don't just blindly follow satnav instructions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always use mine traveling abroad, both summer and winter. I regularly ignore it though knowing pretty well which way I am going.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick May, welcome to snowheads. if you want to keep off the toll roads then I'd think a satnav could be pretty useful, as otherwise you'd spend a lot of time looking at the map. However, if you just want to blast down the péage, the only point in a satnav is that it gives you an idea of how your time is going. There are so few "waypoints" on that route that if you couldn't remember them in your head you'd only need the back of a very small envelope to jot them down. You need to stop every couple of hours anyway, and can just refresh your memory of the next section.

What IS worth doing is checking that the route you're using is not taking you via Paris and the A6. Although some routes (especially French-influenced ones) do that it's a crazy way to go. Straight down through Reims (signposted the minute you get off the ferry/tunnel) is the way to go. Avoid Lyons.

If programming a tomtom make sure you answer the question about toll roads correctly. And don't let it take you by the shortest route, whatever you do. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and don't forget that, obviously, your satnav will be giving you the directions in French "prenez l'autoroute". wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
and don't forget that, obviously, your satnav will be giving you the directions in French "prenez l'autoroute". wink

Puzzled will it? our's doesn't.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, it was a joke. At least I think so. But, having said that, I programme mine to speak to me in French when I'm in France - makes me feel cosier. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My German satnav rather enjoys rolling down through France Toofy Grin

Nick May The route to Tigne is very straight forward if following the French toll motorways.
I have driven over to the Alps for the last 25+ years, The route I use is here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1090704

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 18-07-10 18:05; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The route isn't hard, get a map and have a look then I'm sure the tom tom will help you stay on track whilst your actually driving!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it was a joke. At least I think so.

Yes, it was, sorry. I programme ours to speak in French quite a lot of the time, it's good listening practice and it's not hard to understand "take the third exit at the roundabout" or whatever.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Doh Embarassed
snow conditions
If you drive from GB there aren't any mountain passes to cross en route to Tignes so, even if you follow the Satnav, you shouldn't be sent up any blind alleys.
latest report
I used to travel all over Europe using something called a "map" and rarely went wrong. Just a thought.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, and a very good thought it is too. I wouldn't have a satnav at all if I didn't do quite a lot of solo driving - it is a pain to keep stopping to read the map.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
If you drive from GB there aren't any mountain passes to cross en route to Tignes so, even if you follow the Satnav, you shouldn't be sent up any blind alleys.

Oh , that's interesting. This site here http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-location.html gave me reason to think that there were, which is what led to this whole thread in the first place.

But from what you - and others here say (and due to the fact it'd be summertime weather anyway) overall I have to conclude that I don't think there's any reason to be wary of or worry about with using a G.P.S. as ones main guidance system.
Nothing anybody else has said has put me off really. So I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Thank you all for your input and comments, it's much appreciated.

Boredsurfing wrote:

Nick May I have driven over to the Alps for the last 25+ years, The route I use is here

Thanks for that, I'll copy that list out as a backup. But why is the next guy laughing....??
latest report
After you gave the link to that list I mean.
latest report
Nick May, After the comment about my German sat nav enjoying driving into France Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

German sat nav enjoying driving into France
Indeed, that's what I was laughing at, non-PC as it was.
ski holidays
Nick May wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Oh , that's interesting. This site here http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-location.html gave me reason to think that there were, which is what led to this whole thread in the first place.

But from what you - and others here say (and due to the fact it'd be summertime weather anyway) overall I have to conclude that I don't think there's any reason to be wary of or worry about with using a G.P.S. as ones main guidance system.
Nothing anybody else has said has put me off really. So I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Thank you all for your input and comments, it's much appreciated.

Boredsurfing wrote:

Nick May I have driven over to the Alps for the last 25+ years, The route I use is here

Thanks for that, I'll copy that list out as a backup. But why is the next guy laughing....??

Don't forget to take snow chains.
ski holidays
PJSki, ..and Hi Viz vest and triangle.
The regimental band can lend you a triangle Toofy Grin
or your lodge wink
ski holidays
SatNavs are only really useful to put another step in the - I think I know where we are - Lets try this road - No I don't want to stop and ask that peasant over there even if it will make the whole thing easier - OK I give in - thing that we bloke do. They are otherwise useless and quite expensive bits of kit.
Paper maps are the way to go, as long it was printed this century.
latest report
Mountain Haddock, using, in advance of your journey, the one to programme the other, is not a bad way forward, particularly if you're driving on your own. However, even though I've got a satnav, I wouldn't dream of driving anywhere without a relevant map of some sort in the car. And I rarely bother taking the satnav at all if I've got someone else in the car who can read a map.
snow report
Mountain Haddock, don't talk tosh. I can get from any European address to any other European address using one piece of kit that's small enough to fit in my pocket. I can also change the route, in real-time, and stop off at any other European address using the same device. I can do the same in North America, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Morocco, Mexico and New Zealand. Try that with maps - you'd need loads of them, and I can update my entire map collection within minutes. GPS navigation devices are neither useless nor expensive.

That said, I now use Google Maps with Android, so I can travel pretty much anywhere in the world with GPS.
snow conditions
Those clever continentals have also installed something called "road signs" on all their big roads. These tell you which direction to drive in. Absolutely brilliant system.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins, you won't get to my address using a SatNav that any-one has yet found. Visitors complain of damaged paintwork and worse as they bounce along a very deeply rutted farm track coming the "wrong way".
I will grant you that they are very useful for navigating city one way systems.
snow report
hyweljenkins, Within two mile of here in Hampshire sat navs will send you through a river Ford that is clearly marked not suitable for motor vehicles and also up a steep track that is used by the Army Tanks and is clearly marked as suitable for tracked vehicles only!
Buyer beware I guess Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, yep, they sure do make mistakes. As it's Farnborough Airshow time, I'm reminded of the time the Stealth Bomber did its fly past at the wrong airport (went to Blackbushe while all the world's press were waiting at Farnborough Laughing ) and no doubt that was a GPS-related cock up.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, people who come unstuck when using satnav are idiots, though.
snow report
Last word on GPS: Dora the Explorer
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, thats what makes it so stealthy, it doesn't even know where it is.
ski holidays
We used a Tomtom to get to Morzine, and it was flawless. It found the apartment even though we didn't realise it. It also made driving a lot less stressful, every time the maps came out we ended up taking a silly route all over the place and wasted time, it wasn't clear which roads would be fast roads vs the autoroute, and it was a great help in finding supermarket petrol just off the autoroute, saving us a good chunk of money from the travel cost.
latest report
Quote:

it is a pain to keep stopping to read the map.

absolutely - which is why I think it would be really useful for an "off autoroute" drive, though it would require a fair bit of route preparation. We once came back doing as much as possible of the more southerly half of the drive on roads identied as "picturesque" by Michelin. It did involve a lot of map reading, but there were two of us in the car. It took ages, obviously, but was a delightful saunter, with picnics next to peaceful rivers etc.

But the autoroute route requires practically no map reading - just four or five place names. The signposting on the autoroute is exemplary, though off the autoroute people used to map reading in the UK ("follow the B4384 through the next five villages") are foiled by the French reluctance to put road numbers, as opposed to place names, on the signposts. It's not always easy, off the main routes, to guess from the map which name will be honoured by the sign-post designers. Keeps you on your toes. wink
latest report
Blimey, stone the crows etc. Not that long ago there was no Autoroute via Reims and it meant circumnavigating Paris (we all made huuuge mistakes then). Then, when you reached the mountains, the fast roads stopped and you had to fiddle your way on single lane, badly sign-posted, accident black-spot roads that could be blocked for hours if you timed it badly. Albertville Olympics changed all that, autoroutes are 1000% better and there's even a handy little tunnel under the sea to speed things up. We used maps, sat nav hadn't been invented yet I don't remember the journey being THAT much more painful than it is today.
latest report
Quote:

I don't remember the journey being THAT much more painful than it is today

we're older, more impatient, and have higher expectations of being able to get there in 8 - 9 hours, that's what different. And map reading is becoming a lost art. Like writing a letter, or working out a Plan B in advance, in case a planned rendezvous falls through.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Boredsurfing, yep, they sure do make mistakes. As it's Farnborough Airshow time, I'm reminded of the time the Stealth Bomber did its fly past at the wrong airport (went to Blackbushe while all the world's press were waiting at Farnborough Laughing ) and no doubt that was a GPS-related cock up.

Easy done wink
How many pilots have tried Northolt instead of Heathrow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Easy done wink
How many pilots have tried Northolt instead of Heathrow Toofy Grin

Of course Stevie Wonder famously mistook RAF Northolt for LHR.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy