Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Z' bends to 'S' bends

Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by [b]Fastman's[b] link in the other thread I've re-read his article about fear - which is always worth a periodic read IMV.

My goal for January is to get some lessons and start doing 'S' bends on robust red/redblack runs just like the nice 'S' bends I can do on blues and easy reds.

On an easy slope I can with total confidence set the skis on their edge and let them carry me round the bends - it feels great Cool snowHead When it gets steeper self preservation still kicks in and the sharper points come back on the bends. I have the confidence these days to have a crack at, what I think, are quite steep slopes, inc. the odd short black on decent snow. However, can only do these because I know I can skid round the bends as quick as possible before I pick up speed and take a relatively non steep path across the fall-line with lots of turns put in. It's hard work, but I can get down and am OK provided I do it this way and stay within my confidence zone.

To do S bends on steep slopes will it be necessary to go faster or is this just a perception that is holding me back from trying?

Also, is there any shame in a perfectly controlled side slip down a black run that I have previously skied if it is littered with fallen bodies and unpredictable skiers that may mean I am forced to turn when I'm not ready to. That scenario played on on hols this year - I was ready to have a good crack at skiing the slope a second time to prove to myself that the first time wasn't a fluke, but I reckon there was coach party full of skiers who had clearly taken on more than they could bite littering it with bodies and unpredicatable skiing and, rather than add to the melee, to my embarassment Embarassed I opted to side slip best part of the whole pitch. Said side-slip was text book - in control - neat, tidy, working safely round the bodies backwards and forwards, but it was not skiing the black for the second time - I still hang my head in shame Embarassed .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, on a steeper slope you probably want to be using less of an edge angle and more controlled skidding to make your s-shape turns. A ski on its edge will travel much faster than a ski that is being skidded, so if you want to ski very quickly on a steep slope use your edges, but if you want to travel more slowly rotate your skis by skidding them (evenly all the way around the turn to make a nice s shape).

If you have the skills to side-slip a controlled falling leaf down a black run you're probably able to start linking turns. Just give it a go, but maybe wait and enjoy the scenery until the human litter picks itself up and the slope is clear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, There is no shame in side slipping a black run and it is good skills practise, however as you improve you will find less need to do this.

The trick to skiing any slope with ease is to have complete control of your speed and path of travel...

If you understand how turn shape and skid angle affect your speed you can ski a steep slope at a very slow speed indeed!

First to turn shape. Have a look at the entry on turn shape in our glossary. http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/T.html

Remember that an S shape can be any size you want - make a small shaped S and you are in fact in the fall line for a fairly short amount of time (but it can still be an S not a Z if you have honed your steering skills)...
This is controlling the radius of your turn and you can find more information in the radius entry of our glossary of ski terms http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/R.html

Also remember that by making the S shape turnier you can control speed by turning more away from gravity - even against it if you turn uphill before starting your next turn. You can use this to ski a slightly larger radius but shed all your speed before making the next turn. (this was my get out of jail free card for a long time) You will accelerate in the fall line during a mediumish or shmediumish turn but can turn uphill until you almost stall... So it feels like a rollercoaster ride which can be a little spooky as you accelerate but when you know you will slow down becomes a nice 'swwooooooping' feeling... This is the concept of degree of turn and you will find more information here in our glossary under degree of turn http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/D.html

Now to skid angle
Also you can ski even a largish S shape by using a lot of skid angle in the turn(as rob@rar, mentions above)...
Just point your ski tips in to the centre of the circle you are skiing. The more the tips point away from the direction you are travelling in the slower you will go. (As you know from sideslipping where you travel down the fall line but your skis face across). So you can convert your sideslip into a slow S by adding some steering to it... Have a look at the skid angle section of our ski terms glossary http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/S.html

Now if you blend these together you can control turn shape - through radius and degree of turn, and speed - through skid angle... so you have the ability to control direction and speed at will which will serve you well on those steeper slopes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-07-10 0:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and a fun thing for you and the minimums to 'play with' on easy slopes, would be things like adding a backslider in to your falling leaf(sideslip going back and forth across the slope)... so you can turn uphill and slide back after sideslipping across the hill.... as you slide back turn around so you face the other way... repeat...

Also mix up your turn shapes and skid angles to get a good feel for your skis
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
imo you need to vary your turn size to gain more control and you can also try finishing off the turn more - by letting the skis continue on their arc uphill. This will slow you down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I think its also well worth while skiing the run you plan to try out quicker s type turns a few times so you get to know it a little first, this helps ALOT.

I got caught out big time thrashing down to Peisey on a red run which I had not done for 25 years, flew about 40 metres in the air befoe I realised I was going to fast, was a fun fall tho
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum,

Quote:
Also, is there any shame in a perfectly controlled side slip down a black run that I have previously skied if it is littered with fallen bodies and unpredictable skiers that may mean I am forced to turn when I'm not ready to.

No shame at all. I do it all the time, sometimes to be safe, sometimes because I'm lazy.

Quote:
On an easy slope I can with total confidence set the skis on their edge and let them carry me round the bends - it feels great Cool. When it gets steeper self preservation still kicks in and the sharper points come back on the bends.

Quote:
To do S bends on steep slopes will it be necessary to go faster or is this just a perception that is holding me back from trying?

Ok there are 2 different things going on here.

In terms of 'S bends' I'm guessing that you mean the shape of your turn (as per Little Tiger), so you are aiming for something like " ) " rather than a " > ". This isn't a function of speed, rather a function of the path your ski's track in the snow - so doing 'S bends' does not have to result in more speed, especially if you keep them small & linked together.

On steeper terrain you should also be thinking of how much of the turn you complete, so a finished off turn will be more helpful here as opposed to my open ' ) ' example as limited by my keyboard Embarassed However I reckon that it may be the shape you are describing on Blues when putting your skis on their Edge.

As rob@raw suggests, less edge angle will be helpful as you will need to actively pivot (turn) your ski's in order to keep the turn size small. Relying on the Edges alone to turn you will likely give you more speed than you desire.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there are some excellent descriptions and demos of all this in Fastman's videos. And some very good progressive exercises.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, david@mediacopy, to not use the edges seems counter-intuitive although I can see how less edges will allow the skis to pivot easier, at the moment I tend to think I turn on the steep stuff absolutely and totally reliant on the edges to stop me sliding down the slope at an uncontrollable rate of knots. I hurry the turns around as quick as I can to get past the fall line and then apply a 'muscles of steel' approach and a usually silent prayer to make those edges hang into the mountain. If nothing else its hard work!! Yes, the type of S turns I mean are those described by little tiger,

livetoski, I can see the sense in an exploratory run, but I wouldn't have though of it - ski it once and get down it as I normally would and then try it again whilst trying to tidy things up makes a lot of sense. Normally I 'get down' something difficult once and don't (want to Embarassed ) go back to it, but that means I don't learn anything does it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, david@mediacopy, to not use the edges seems counter-intuitive although I can see how less edges will allow the skis to pivot easier, at the moment I tend to think I turn on the steep stuff absolutely and totally reliant on the edges to stop me sliding down the slope at an uncontrollable rate of knots. I hurry the turns around as quick as I can to get past the fall line and then apply a 'muscles of steel' approach and a usually silent prayer to make those edges hang into the mountain.
Yup, you need to stop doing that. It's not a good way to ski steeps. Soften your legs, flatten your skis (a bit, skis are almost never totally flat) and skid/scrape them around the turns. Much easier to control your speed. If you set your skis on a hard edge you're going to accelerate out of the turn, and you will rapidly accelerate and lose control.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, You understand what I am doing - of that I'm sure,
Quote:

Soften your legs, flatten your skis (a bit, skis are almost never totally flat) and skid/scrape them around the turns. Much easier to control your speed.

Promise?

Laughing

So it seems it about having the confidence to try it. Just apply what I do on a more gentle slope and it should still work on a steeper one?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
Promise?
Yes, and if you're able to come to the Skills Clinic we're running at Hemel in September we have a whole day to work on developing those skills

Quote:
Just apply what I do on a more gentle slope and it should still work on a steeper one?
You will want to modify what you do, changing the blend of pressure, edge and rotation you apply to your skis. But there's no sudden change in technique.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surpised that no ones mentioned braquage/pivot slip drills
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh, braquage, my favourite drill. Especially when practised for hours on end, as per Warren Smith. Very character building. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, david@mediacopy, to not use the edges seems counter-intuitive although I can see how less edges will allow the skis to pivot easier, at the moment I tend to think I turn on the steep stuff absolutely and totally reliant on the edges to stop me sliding down the slope at an uncontrollable rate of knots. I hurry the turns around as quick as I can to get past the fall line and then apply a 'muscles of steel' approach and a usually silent prayer to make those edges hang into the mountain. If nothing else its hard work!! Yes, the type of S turns I mean are those described by little tiger,

You cannot apply a lot of skid angle easily when you have a lot of edge angle... because the edge grips the snow and makes the ski harder to skid... Think what you do when you side slip or falling leaf... you release the edges until the skis start to slide... you are wanting to do the same thing when making a turn...

Make sure to practise on easy slopes first... and remember the slowing down comes from having the ski pointing AWAY from the direction you are travelling... point the ski tip some amount into the centre of the turn...

If you decrease edge angle and keep pointing the skis forward as you are travelling you will go quite fast... so do not do what you normally do - instead make the turn with skis pointed at some angle to the way they are going which will slow you down - but not as much as a side slip... With practice you can add just as much angle away from where you are pointed to have exactly the speed you wish to travel at... (As an idea most people cannot tell the difference between when I'm carving and when I'm narrow track steering - Fastman can because he knows how I ski very well... but I've skied with PSIA trainers who thought I was carving when I was in fact skidding - just not very much - my ski edges were just engaged enough to hold and the skis were pointed where I was going but edges not quite locked into the turn like a carve)

Work at adjusting turn shape(radius and degree of turn) as well... then you have three methods to adjust your speed and can blend all three to change where you go and how fast.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Surpised that no ones mentioned braquage/pivot slip drills

Check out our skid angle idea - most of my post involved various amounts of skid in arc(say half moon) shapes... pivot slip but while in a turn Wink (well you get the idea) ... and if anyone has the DVDs as pamw said there is a whole swag of drills laid out in a careful plan to develop these skills so that a skier can learn to readily blend them...

If you remember I took that lesson at The Canyons - and worked on almost exactly that idea (because the instructor thought I was edge addicted Wink )
snow conditions
spyderjon, Megamum,

Look at wide track steering in our ski terms glossary http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/W.html

The 'pivot slip' is just stretched over an arc... when you change from one turn to the other you do the pivot part and the slip occurs around the curve evenly...
snow conditions
Hi, Megamum. You've received good pointers here on the skills you need to grab control of your speed on steeps, without having to resort to Z turns. I'll just try to endorse and restate that advice.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what you're doing on gentle terrain, and why it's not working for you on the steeps. On gentle terrain you've learned how to tip your skis up on edge and let the skis do the turning for you. It's an effortless way to ski and turn, and as such it's great fun, as you've discovered. It's a form of carving, which employes the automatic turning qualities built into the wonderful shape ski.

Unfortunately, that means of turning also produces the highest speeds, so it's not a good turning technique choice for the steeps. You can get away with it on gentle terrain, because speeds will not get that high, regardless of the turn shape you ski, but as pitch grows, speeds gained when turning like that quickly get uncomfortable.
That's what you're experiencing, and it's why your impulse is to quickly pivot into a Z shape turn, to avoid the rapid acceleration the falline brings when the trail is steep.

You need to employ a different turning technique. It involves learning to skid through the turn, as rob@rar suggested. By doing that you can ski any turn shape you like, as slowly as you desire, and as comfortably as you wish. Just tipping and riding the sidecut of the skis, as you're currently striving to do on gentle terrain, will never provide even close to that degree of speed control.

Check out the links to skid angle and wide track steering in my glossary that little tiger provided for you. Learning those skill sets is what you need to feel comfortable, and gain total control of turn shape, on the steeps. I can't stress that enough. Tipping and riding the ski's sidecut is only one edging skill, and it provides limited control of turn shape and speed. YOU NEED TO DEVELOP YOUR STEERING AND SKID ANGLE SKILLS FIRST!!! Once you do, you'll view and approach any slope on the mountain with a whole new confident mindset. It's empowering.
latest report
Megamum, I'm sure you realise, but remember that the tilt or edge angle of your ski's will vary throughout your turn, so part of the skill is applying the appropriate amount at the right time - and developing the movement pattens you'll need to do this.

Perhaps the other way of thinking about the 'problem' is in terms of the outcome you want. You (presumably) want to ski steeper runs with good control of speed.

The first thing to do is choose the best turn shape and size for the slope at hand (I'd suggest small, rounded, finished off AND linked together) as it's this that influences your control of speed. You can then apply all the technical ingredients posted above to achieve the turn size and shape needed for the slop, and get the outcome you want.
snow conditions
rob@rar, OK, my interest is piqued, and I'm debating whether to treat myself or whether to wait until I'm on a mountain and take a couple of 2 hour private lessons, it's never easy to know where cash is best spent Puzzled . However, without all the facts I can't make up my mind. What days in September please? I had a look at the thread on the Hemel coaching, but there is a lot to wade through and it doesn't look as if a list days is maintained in the OP - a link to the right page with dates on would be useful. thanks

Everyone else, thanks for all the tips - boring night in hotel tonight, so plenty to look through here and think about. snowHead
snow report
Megamum, Monday 20th or Saturday 25th. Ski pass from 9am to 6pm, coaching from 9.30am to 4pm, plus video review afterwards (as well as at lunchtime).
snow conditions
Megamum, thank you for starting up this very interesting topic - and what good quality replies you have received (no stupid ones either!).
ski holidays
rob@rar, thanks for that - I will def. think about it, it will only be 3 months before holiday and I need something to stand a chance of standing on the same bit of mountain as BMF_Skier and the Minimums Laughing

I had a look at the wide track steering picture - Got it!! I think I can see what this skidding thing does, it seems to be a little bit like a controlled sideslip guided into an arc, you move around, down and across the arc, whilst balancing the skis like you would in a side slip. That must require quite some degree of control on the weighting of the skis, but I can see how it would work and how it should be possible.

The odd thing about the side slip is that I can't do it if I consciously think about flattening the skis and about the process I am trying to achieve, but I can do it 'instinctively' - I just find myself side slipping wonderfully when I need to and it has just happened. I also think I must get close to this skidding effect when I am on some of the steeper sections, rather than putting in lots of turns I sometimes find myself making a turn and almost deliberately, but again almost instinctively, shedding loads of height by almost sideslipping around the turn as well as during the traverse (I try to use the whole slope if there's no-one in the way). I still chase the turns round too fast on the very steep bits (and def. try my best to lose lots of height on the traverse using a side slip), but on a moderate red (like the top of Portette in VT when its got no snow left on it) the shedding height manouevre works well.

I would certainly echo all the advice I had when beginning this skiing lark that side slipping was your 'get out of jail free' card, its invaluable however you use it, now that I can see this skidded turn I need to have a practice, I'm sure its something I can learn now I can side slip without problems. B.t.w. Isn't it wonderful that these days I'm interested in improving how I get down steep bits too, rather than worrying about being faced with them to begin with? I'm so chuffed Very Happy . snowHead is Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

wait until I'm on a mountain and take a couple of 2 hour private lessons

trouble is, unless you get the right instructor, it might not work out the way you want, though just following somebody doing the right thing, at the right speed, choosing a really good line can make a big difference. But if you want lots of words and analysis (and I'm the same) then you won't always get it.

I would really encourage you to get the FastMan videos - not instead of having a lesson on snow, obviously, but to give you something to focus on in the meantime. Also to go to Hemel - it's a long way from here, but I've enjoyed the sessions I've done and would do a lot more if it weren't so far.
snow report
Megamum, on a value for money basis then for a mountain session summer skiing with Easiski at L2A is pretty damn good value. Grab a cheap flight to Lyon/Grenoble and camp at Venosc and it is a seriously cheap way to grab a ski holiday. You also get to have a summer holiday all afternoon.
ski holidays
Megamum, I can recommend rob and scotts Skills Clinic at Hemel, I have been at Hemel a few times when they have been coaching and you can really see the difference in peoples skiing after only a couple of hours
snow conditions
livetoski,
Quote:

you can really see the difference in peoples skiing after only a couple of hours
Unfortunately, the very same people (at least one of them, anyway) have a tendency to revert to previous bad habits by the time the next lesson comes around... Embarassed
ski holidays
Saturday 25th is sounding quite possible.........................

Off to check in on the HH thread
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Unfortunately, the very same people (at least one of them, anyway) have a tendency to revert to previous bad habits by the time the next lesson comes around.

Hurtle, but people like us have had longer to consolidate our bad habits than Megamum has!
ski holidays
pam w, practice makes permanent! Although I don't entirely agree with that as I've managed to get rid of, or at least mask, most of my bad habits even if it has been a long and painful (and ongoing) journey.
snow report
pam w, rob@rar, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Zs to Ss keeps cropping up.

I think the fundamental problem is a lack of explanation during instruction. Snow-ploughers instinctively vary the width of their plough to keep their speed constant. But when they are taught to parallel no-one explains to them that their speed will vary through the turn. If you explain to people that they will get faster as they approach the fall-line, then slower as they turn across the mountain, it makes a huge difference. I actualy do this as a drill, getting them to say 'faster faster faster slower slower slower' as they go round the turn. Once you get them used to the way it feels, you can start to get them to use turn shape to control their speed, rather than the ammount of skid. On a cruisy blue / red start doing really big turns, & gradualy increase how far round you come, its good fun to do a huge fast turn and end up skiing back up the hill to an almost stop before starting the next big turn.
snow conditions
There's some really good advice from Alan McGregor which I agree with.

Most people do Z turns due to a (perfectly natural) fear of facing down hill (in the middle of the turn) and the build up of speed this brings. So try Elephant Turns.

I use them all the time with the Z turners and they very rarely fail to produce S's. Loads of people will be able to explain them on here if you don't know what they are.

One thing though, if you're going to do Elephant Turns you need to do them (to start with) with an instructor or you'll get em wrong and they'll be no use. If you live near Chill Factor or Hemel or some other fridge you could ask the instructor to give them a try with you - I honestly hardly ever see them fail if taught right. You're intrcutor will start with a very slow (almost bracage) rotateing slide that, very quickly, will lead to S's turns of various rads
snow report
Alan McGregor,

little tiger wrote:

First to turn shape. Have a look at the entry on turn shape in our glossary. http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/T.html

Remember that an S shape can be any size you want - make a small shaped S and you are in fact in the fall line for a fairly short amount of time (but it can still be an S not a Z if you have honed your steering skills)...
This is controlling the radius of your turn and you can find more information in the radius entry of our glossary of ski terms http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/R.html

Also remember that by making the S shape turnier you can control speed by turning more away from gravity - even against it if you turn uphill before starting your next turn. You can use this to ski a slightly larger radius but shed all your speed before making the next turn. (this was my get out of jail free card for a long time) You will accelerate in the fall line during a mediumish or shmediumish turn but can turn uphill until you almost stall... So it feels like a rollercoaster ride which can be a little spooky as you accelerate but when you know you will slow down becomes a nice 'swwooooooping' feeling... This is the concept of degree of turn and you will find more information here in our glossary under degree of turn http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/D.html

latest report
Alan McGregor, well done, mentioning the different acceleration phases of a turn. It's that acceleration that happens when patience is used through the top half of the turn that intimidates people into doing pivoted Z turns. It's important to help them come to embrace and enjoy that period of acceleration. Part of getting to that point of security is coming to know that they have the ability to bail from that speed, or change their direction of travel, at any time they desire. It's the feeling of becoming a run away train, with no ability to slow down or alter direction that scares people into avoiding that acceleration period. The pivoted Z is just an act of innately driven survival.

Learning skid angle skills is a great way to overcome those fears, and gain an appreciation for the period of acceleration that happens through the top of a turn during an S turn. Skid angle can be used to limit the amount of acceleration that happens, so becoming comfortable with the acceleration can happen progressively, or it can be used to quickly dump the speed gained by increasing the skid angle in the bottom half of the turn. These are great stepping stone tools for skiers learning to do S turns on steep terrain. Confidence, comfort and newfound enjoyment with the roller coaster effect comes quickly via that learning methodology. I've watched it happen over and over, and enjoyed the gleam in the eyes and excitement in the voices of the students who I help discover this new confidence inspiring skill set.

Skid angle and turn shape work together, hand in hand, to elevate the confidence and competence of learning skiers. Turn shape alone, without using skid angle, does not generally provide enough tools to allow learning skiers to ski S turns on a pitch in comfort. It doesn't allow a broad enough range of turn shapes to control speed and route of travel adequately at all times, and it doesn't allow enough speed control during the turn shapes it makes possible to provide a comfort level for the average skier on various types of terrain.

Most intermediate level skiers would feel very intimidated, dare I say scared silly, skiing down a pitch without using any skid angle. By learning to add and vary their skid angle, these skiers can employ any turn shape they like in complete comfort, in accordance to their personal risk tolerance threshold. This ability to manage skid angle provides great confidence, as the skier now knows he/she can ski any line down the mountain that terrain, traffic or desire dictates, and the speed they travel is still under their complete control, not governed by the particular line they've chosen. It's a very liberating piece of knowledge, to know they have the ability to ski any line they desire in complete control and comfort.

It's quite amazing to watch students reduce their skid angles, gravitating towards carving, when they carry with them the knowledge that they have the skid angle skills to tone things down whenever they desire. Some people, when first considering this learning methodology envision setting skiers on a road to becoming terminal skidders. The reality is just the opposite.
snow conditions
Alan McGregor, Good post. The 'whoosh' into and just after the fall line frightens a lot of people (maybe even most). I get some students to utter a 'cry of joy' (in other words shout 'whee' or 'yahoo' or something) at the whoosh moment. It's amazing how it replaces their fear with enjoyment! Very Happy
snow report
easiski, The whoosh bit is one of the best parts - knowing you can head downhill but make a turn to get back in control.
ski holidays
Wayne, whats an Elephant turn, not heard that term before..
snow conditions
skimottaret, Ooo....great....... I didn't want to ask, but you're an instructor!! I'm guessing its something to do with the shape of the elephant or its trunk when raised into that classic lifted position
ski holidays
skimottaret, Megamum,

http://youtube.com/v/LS95MYHcy_I&feature=related

Elephant turns? well could be elephant freestyle Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy