Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for BASI 1?

Poster: A snowHead
Im currently skiing a set of rossi S5's and a set of Armada pipecleaners both mounted centrally. Neither of which I suspect will earn me any brownie points?

What characteristics should i be looking for in a level 1 instuctor ski? I was thinking a properly mounted fairly floppy beginner/early intermediate ski with a 70-74 waist.

Im 188cm 88kg any suggestions?

Oh and i dont want to spend a fortune Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevindonkleywood, where are you doing the course? I did my L on a pair of slalom skis and my L2 on a 76mm waisted fairly stiff ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tamworth in November, from what i understand its a fairly hard surface compared to the newer snow domes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, get something with a short turning radius would be my advice, and I don't think you need to go too floppy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BASI recommends a 15m turn radius for girls and 17 for boys....... either a race carve or cross ski is prob best but you should choose a ski that best suits you and your skiing!!!! I wouldn't recommend an intermediate "floppy" ski...... go for a performance ski! I did my level 1 on rentals L2 on 1080's and have had Head XRC's now on Nordica Mach 3's looking at the fisher race carve for next year. or Nordica's again......I like them!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kevindonkleywood, Borrow some SL ski's for Tamworth and have a chat to the trainer when you are there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did my L2 on K2 PE's, I'd say go with what you know and are comfortable with. If you're not to confident for sure get some piste skis but if you feel ok carving the pipe cleaners and progressing the central theme....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the_doc wrote:
Did my L2 on K2 PE's, I'd say go with what you know and are comfortable with. If you're not to confident for sure get some piste skis but if you feel ok carving the pipe cleaners and progressing the central theme....

Ditto, the PE's rocked. Wish I still had them, would be awesome for the wall or something.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys

I'm BASI's new online community rep - BASI's eyes and ears to ensure questions etc are being answered accurately.

I'd like to clarify alexchapman's post above, and confirm that there is no longer a ski radius requirement or recommendation for any level Alpine courses. It is probably not appropriate to turn up on twin tips or fat big mountain skis however!

There is still a ski requirement for the coaching courses from L2 upwards - you will need slalom skis, and GS skis with a minimum radius of 17m (for both men and women). This is a minimum, and a tall guy for example should consider a bigger radius to get the most from the skis and the course.

I hope this helps!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'm BASI's new online community rep

as well as their "man" in Hong Kong wink hope the job pays well

kevindonkleywood, use turny slalom skis your medium radius turns wont be a big deal in the dome and the 17M ski thing was only ever a recommendation for Alpine courses and seems to have been quietly dropped for non coach courses.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, thanks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, sorry i was trying to make a feeble joke, good on you, great idea to have someone police all the rumours and inuendo and get the truth out there!!

Seriously in your new role how about passing to fergus the questions contained in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62957&start=40#1497435 , i was going to send an email this summer to him once he had time to settle in but as the ?'s were generated here perhaps would be a good idea for you to pass on...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, already done Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, next question, whens the new basi website going live NehNeh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the advice and suggestions: I decided on the Salomon Equipe 24hrs , I will let you know how i get on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret, very soon I think! I've seen the preview and it's looking good, I think they're working on final touches currently. I'll get the latest estimate of when it'll be ready.
ski holidays
beanie1, sweet. i have another question for you, rather than derail this thread further how about a ask beanie1 thread?
ski holidays
skimottaret, the new BASI website is about 90% ready. It is hoped it will go live in late summer / early Autumn, although no fixed date just yet.
snow conditions
yea I agree with skimottaret; a 'ask beanie1' thread would be good!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy