Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet use: attitudes and beliefs survey

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
rayscoops, he was racing! Not much point racing slowly, I suppose.

race training actually wink

having done the survey I now understand that he felt safer with a helmet on and therefore went faster than he could safely manage Little Angel ... tick tick tick ....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops wrote:
race training actually wink

Not even that Madeye-Smiley
Had done the gate run and was on the way down to the bottom of the run to go up and do it again.
Came out of the gates - which were on a not so steep bit - then just kept going (like ya do), went over the lip of the piste, picked up more and more speed, BANG Shocked

It was one of those falls that you just know you would have been dead if you hadn't been wearing a crash hat.

Oh, and the reason i fell is I'm cr*p at racing Toofy Grin that'll teach me

For those who know hintertux, it was on the left hand side of the double button lift. Gates were at the top above the lip, fell half way down the the drop and ended up on the run out. ooops Toofy Grin

PS - I passed anyway Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slider_tom, Done the survey and wishing Mary all the best with her project - hope the hard work pays off! Data collection for Psychology students can be an absolute nightmare - particularly when measuring attitudes as people always complain that it's long-winded and that you've asked them the same question over again. I had to convince a bunch of bankers to spend 45 mins of their time on a questionnaire... it was like getting blood from a stone...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is this research (into attitudes) publicly funded? (*)

Anyone agree with me that it's a luxury item? If not, how much of your own money would you put towards it?

(*) IIRC Surrey Uni derives the highest percentage of its income from non-government sources of any British uni, so the answer might be 'no' or (more likely) 'partly'. It would be interesting to know the nature of any other funding organization for this research.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, Excellent care to work in a baggage allowance/flight delay angle as well?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, well done !! Very Happy

to be honest I can not see how helmets can ever be a bad thing, it is just that some (like me at the moment dodging ski baggage fees) can not be @rsed with them Little Angel
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Done it! and yes, it was long and boring, especially as I have very little interest in the subject! (Except for insisting that all kids skiing with me wear them). Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
Is this research (into attitudes) publicly funded? (*)

Anyone agree with me that it's a luxury item? If not, how much of your own money would you put towards it?

(*) IIRC Surrey Uni derives the highest percentage of its income from non-government sources of any British uni, so the answer might be 'no' or (more likely) 'partly'. It would be interesting to know the nature of any other funding organization for this research.

Hmm. That depends on what you mean "publicly funded". Mary pays to do her MSc, but I guess that she does not directly pay the supervisor's wages. Neither does she directly pay the wages of the person who actually runs the software that allows for the survey to be accessed over the internet.

So, I suppose that you could say that a tiny part of the survey would indeed be publicly funded... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slider_tom, thanks for the reply.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did to try to complete the questionnaire but (pretty much as usual) got frustrated by ill-posed questions. "Do you feel that helmets provide sufficient protection?" (probably not an exact quote) - which helmets? against what?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
most people who complete a survey about making helmets mandatory, will be people who think helmets should be mandatory...
sorry but i dont see why anybody should be allowed to tell me what i do or dont wear.. i dont even think motorbike helmets should be mandatory ..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CANV CANVINGTON, if you read back a few posts, this might suggest the opposite...

cathy wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If you had to ask me to punt on snowheads general results I'd expect a higher level of helmet wearing relativ to the general population, a justification based on a personal belief they may make things safer and an attitude which tells "the man" to stick it if he suggests they should be mandatory.

well that's what comes out of my responses. wink

Pretty much what I said as well.

Err - me too! Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
most people who complete a survey about making helmets mandatory, will be people who think helmets should be mandatory...
sorry but i dont see why anybody should be allowed to tell me what i do or dont wear.. i dont even think motorbike helmets should be mandatory ..

Well, I am not sure where the idea that "helmets should be mandatory" has been derived from the survey - indeed there is less than 5 % of the questions (as a rough estimate) asking about feelings about mandatory helmet use or strength of that opinion. This is NOT a survey about making helmets mandatory (or otherwise) It is about what helmet users and non-helmet users think...

There is no hidden agenda. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slider_tom, If you will take a minor observation, I don't know how the survey software can work, but it's a pity it couldn't remove, for example all the snowboarder questions when you first answer that you only ski. On some pages I tried not answering the parallel snowboarders versions of the questions and it wouldn't let me go on until I had done so. I expect there are also snowboarders that don't ski - we don't all do everything. wink I do wonder if this won't skew the results as you will/could get parallel responses from skiers and snowboarders when in actual fact it won't be actual valid results - if you see what I mean?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slider_tom wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

Well, I am not sure where the idea that "helmets should be mandatory" has been derived from the survey - indeed there is less than 5 % of the questions (as a rough estimate) asking about feelings about mandatory helmet use or strength of that opinion. This is NOT a survey about making helmets mandatory (or otherwise) It is about what helmet users and non-helmet users think...

There is no hidden agenda. Very Happy
That may be the intention. As a someone who does not wear a helmet I thought many of the questions were worded to suggest that I was in the wrong.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
easiski, the key point is that the answers will be skewed from sampling from a self selected population who are 1) sufficiently geeky to be on a ski forum in mid summer and 2) care enough about helmets to answer a fairly tedious questionnaire about them. Its a problem all questionnaire based methods have in that you never capture enough of the population who can't be bothered or are too busy to answer. I'd expect a supervisor to have a good attack at the data validity for that.

Are you suggesting there's correlation between geeky skiers and helmet usage?

Yes, there could be. But I would argue it's unlikely to be significant at all.

In any case, all forms of survey will suffer from "selected" sample due to the venue. I've been stopped mid-stride to complete "a short survay". I simply brush the surveyer aside and moved on.

So, "random selection" are never truely random. But often times, one can be quite sure the bias are less than the statistic deviation itself. Therefore, the sample pool is NOT biased.
snow report
I think the result will be biased. I don't wear a helmet most of the time, but think that not wearing a helmet while tree skiing is mental. However, the survey is so tedious, that I started it and got bored, so didn't complete it. People who have a mission to convert everyone to helmets will make the extra effort to complete the survey. There are a fair number of 'you must always wear a helmet' extremists, but probably not many 'you should never wear a helmet' extremists.' - I've never met anyone in the 'must never wear a helmet' camp, so most of the completed surveys will come from the 'must always wear a helmet people.'

It would be more realistic to have the survey ask one question.

Should you always wear a helmet

Yes
No
It depends
Don't care
snow conditions
Thornyhill, That would hardly be valuable for someone's MSc would it? Like many you seem to have missed the point of the survey in the first place. I don't think your assumption is in any way correct as it happens. People are not either totally for or totall against IME. A helmet would not have stopped me from having my jaw broken unless it was full face!

Adrian, I actually agree with you, and found that there wasn't enough qualification in many of the questions, especially WRT off piste skiing and other more 'risky' stuff. I usually try to wear my helmet if going to LG (forgot last time), or if doing chalance (rocky), but wouldn't routinely wear it if I thought I would do a little 'local' off piste where there weren't many rocks. However all off piste was lumped together.

There was no differentiation between childrens' helmet use and that of adults - quite an important factor I would have thought in people's attitudes.

There were no questions relating to the lack of hearing while wearing a helmet - I see a big diff in the ability of students to hear me if they wear a helmet or not. To say nothing of in-helmet music which should be banned!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

CANV CANVINGTON, The option was there (and I took it) to strongly disagree every time helmet use was suggested as mandatory. In fact if you hate helmets you can fill in the questionnaire and strongly disagree each time helmets are shown in a good light! Laughing
latest report
Q1 has already got me...

Please indicate your level of skill?
Beginner/out of practice
Intermediate (major difficulties on demanding sections of pistes)
Advanced/proficient (can manage most pistes)
Expert (can manage difficult pistes at speed and with control)

.... is it not a big leap from 'can manage most pistes' to 'can manage difficult pistes at speed and with control'
what about the pretty obvious bit inbetween 'can manage difficult pistes with control' ??....
or is it just me?
snow conditions
See even a survey about helmets can provoke arguments - time to ban them once and for all in the interests of world peace? wink

abc, I think there must be correlation to some extent because web geeky skiers spend more time year round talking virtually about skiing, I'd guess they have more skiing days on average than the non web geek and spend more on kit so they don't have the barrier to helmet wearing a "casual" skier has e.g. its not worth it, I only go once a year and don't do the hardest runs.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 17-07-10 10:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fatbob, that would well and truly ... err ... put a lid on it Little Angel
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Q1 has already got me...

Please indicate your level of skill?
Beginner/out of practice
Intermediate (major difficulties on demanding sections of pistes)

.... is it not a big leap from 'can manage most pistes' to 'can manage difficult pistes at speed and with control'
what about the pretty obvious bit inbetween 'can manage difficult pistes with control' ??....
or is it just me?

Alas, when running a survey as part of dissertation or work the can be published we have to work off previously published models or constructs. If more snowheads published scientific papers which include ski/snowboard levels, then we would have more sophisticated scales, models, etc. Very Happy
snow report
slider_tom, that is a bit chicken and egg isn't it?... you can only work from what already exists so can't create something new as it already doesn't exist... Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
slider_tom, that is a bit chicken and egg isn't it?... you can only work from what already exists so can't create something new as it already doesn't exist... Puzzled Puzzled

Correct. However, the survey investigates large areas that have Not been explored previously.
As such, if the whole survey is new, then it is difficult ( if not impossible) to make any statements about anything else apart from what is in the study.

In this way, where there are some existing models in non-critical sections of the survey one can use previously published data to say something about whether your sample is at all relevant to other situations, etc.
ski holidays
Since all my skiing is off piste it was a bit of a fag filling in the same questions twice. Also I have no knowledge of ski schools - only of guides.

I don't wear a helmet but feel it is quite sensible to wear one and perhaps I should. The survey brought out this inconsistency but didn't really ask enough questions to bring out why I haven't done it yet.
I didn't like it when I hired one (it moved around on my head and was unsafe so I took it off) - but I'm sure there would be ones I could buy which fit better.
More important I felt enclosed and less free. (I feel the same about goggles and sunglasses but have to wear them against the glare and otherwise my eyes water). I overheat and in hot weather I usually don't wear a hat.
But most important I already take a roll of memory foam for my bad back (in my back-pack as hand luggage). With all my other off-piste kit, skis, boots, shovel, etc - and now rope and harness - I don't see how I could find room for one in airline luggage.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 17-07-10 17:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowball, You could alway wear it in transit!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
slider_tom... nicely phrased and slightly overcomplicated defensive responce...
It is a bad selection and a bad question which has a huge impact on the skill level in relation to the helmet opinion within the survey.
ski holidays
flangesax, He's a scientist - over complicated goes with the territory! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
Thornyhill, That would hardly be valuable for someone's MSc would it? Like many you seem to have missed the point of the survey in the first place. I don't think your assumption is in any way correct as it happens. People are not either totally for or totall against IME. A helmet would not have stopped me from having my jaw broken unless it was full face!

No you missed my point entirely. The survey is so tedious that many of the the people who don't really care either way won't bother to complete it. Only the people on a mission will complete it. I've never met anyone with a missions to ban helmets, but I know a few with a mission to make them compulsory, so the people most likely to complete the survey are those that think they can decide that everyone else needs a helmet. If you are basing your MSc on that, then the finding will be flawed
snow conditions
Thornyhill, From what a few people have agreed with, the general* consensus could appear to be that whilst a lot of people think that helmets are a very good idea, a lot of people also strongly DISagree with making them mandatory -at least, that's my view.

*By that I mean a whopping 3 or 4 people lol
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:

The survey is so tedious that many of the the people who don't really care either way won't bother to complete it. Only the people on a mission will complete it.

You don't KNOW that! You just assumed it. That's the exact opposit of scientific work.

The whole purpose of the survey was about what people THINK ABOUT helmet itself. So "people on a mission" would have their basis of believe exposed. It wasn't about WHETHER it should be made compulsory.

snowball wrote:
Since all my skiing is off piste it was a bit of a fag filling in the same questions twice.

I put that in the comment field they should have an option of "same as on-piste"! For both off-piste and park. Ideally, it should pre-fill the answer with the same as on-piste and allow the survey taker to change a few of the answers. For example, I didn't feel helmet is any MORE warranted in the park or outside, since I do jumps off natural objects when one exist (outside the park). However, if I were to go to the park to specifically pratice inverted arial, a helmet would be extremely important! (no, I don't do arials, never mind inverted).

My only minor complain about the survey is it's still feels like it's designed by a non-skier! Or at least someone who doesn't ski too much variety of terrains. As easiski and you had pointed out, not all off-piste is created equal. Personally, I'm less intimidated by rocks than by trees. So while I don't feel strongly about wearing a helmet when rocks are present, I won't venture into glades without one!
snow conditions
flangesax wrote:
It is a bad selection and a bad question which has a huge impact on the skill level in relation to the helmet opinion within the survey.

I beg to disagree that it is either a 'bad question' or that it will have a huge impact on the rest of the survey.

However, for the moment lets say that we agree that the levels as stated:

are insufficiently defined in order to discriminate between higher ability skiers. How would you do it in a way that will be meaningful to skiers at all levels of ability?
snow conditions
slider_tom, Personally (and nothing to do with the survey), I get fed up with the assumption that speed is an essential part of being expert! It's done all the time and not all expert skiers wish to ski fast all the time! Very Happy
snow conditions
slider_tom wrote:
flangesax wrote:

I beg to disagree that it is either a 'bad question' or that it will have a huge impact on the rest of the survey.

However, for the moment lets say that we agree that the levels as stated:

are insufficiently defined in order to discriminate between higher ability skiers. How would you do it in a way that will be meaningful to skiers at all levels of ability?

Beginner - From 0 to managing blues
Early Intermediate - Can ski reds, may be able to survive some blacks
Advanced Intermediate - Confidently ski all pistes, maybe dabble in offpiste
Advanced - Confidant in most reasonable terrain, inc bumps, powder, other offpiste conditions
Expert - Very profficient in all areas, ISIA/ISTD level instructor standard, at a level where you could compete in races/freeride/freestyle/moguls/etc
ski holidays
Helmets and ability scales. All we need now is winter tyres to enter the debate and we have the holy trinity of snowHeads discussion points...
snow report
Well, there's a good 20 mins or so of my life that I'll never get back. rolling eyes

No, I don't wear one, yes, it is sensible to wear one. Probably more sensible to not chuck myself down a mountain in the first place, though. And I couldn't bring myself to say it was "very unlikely" that I'd have an accident, could I? That would be soooooo tempting fate! Shocked

And how does skiing compare with other sports accident-wise? Per sport? Per participant? Do we count indoor sports like snooker? Do I overthink things? rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
Sorry, I started but gave up a few pages in - I found some of the questions and their phrasing thoroughly annoying and ridiculously repetitive and I'm not wasting my time answering questions about what my mates etc think over and over and over and over again when I don't give a toss what they or anyone else thinks - at the very least you need a "none of the above" option.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert but part of my degree was in sampling methods etc and I'm afraid this is one of the poorer surveys I've seen (and I include ones I've filled in out of the goodness of my heart for GCSE BTEC students - they at least were shorter!)

For the record I wear a helmet when on snow but as far as I'm concerned if adults choose not to then that's their choice and they shouldn't be forced to against their will.
ski holidays
Wahaaay I like wild uninhibited parties!!! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
protosaurus, and do you wear a helmet at them?
a) never
b) sometimes
c) always

I put "no" for the parties. I don't want to get a reputation! Little Angel
ski holidays
maggi, and do your friends think you should wear a helmet:
a) never
b) sometimes
c) always

Do your entire family think you should wear a helmet ... do your workmates think ... does your next door neighbour ... the bloke down the pub on a Saturday night ... does your dog...

rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy