Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, having got most of my kit sorted i have turned to pondering what eye wear i should be sporting next season. I don't like the idea of changing lenses on the slope so figure 2 pairs of goggles is the way forwards. For my low light goggles i am thinking Smith Phenom with Sensor Mirror lenses but don't really know what 2nd pair to get to deal for general weather conditions & brighter light. I guess i should be looking for brown / gold tints and think black will be too dark, any other colours good? Sooner or later I will be getting off my bum to try some on but what are your recs?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1 pair of goggles - goldish lens or Scott amplifier. Wear them all the time. Goggle faffing is a terrible habit. Needing different lenses for different conditions unless you've got specific eye problems or conditions are so bad there is no-one else on the mountain is overkill IMO. Not a very helpful answer I appreciate.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i think i have some ignitor mirror lenses in my smiths
i sometimes carry other lenses with me, but the ignitor mirrors are so versatile i never end up using them
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not keen on goggles myself, I wear sunnies as much as possible. However I do have a pair of goggles for bad weather conditions only. I bought them in Italy for €22, they're 'Salice' ones and do the job superbly with no misting. I remain unconvinced that the three figure variety are worth the extra outlay.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had various pairs of orange lenses but find they don't cut it in low light - have led people "off piste" on occasion and my eyes strain too much in bright light. Dare i say that i wear a helmet most of the time so the sunnies for sun and goggles for low light combo is not an option.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find that sun glasses with a helmet work for most conditions.
Looks pretty cool too! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SH is Gay,...??........I think your logic is back to front
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slowphil, nothing wrong with going for 2 pairs IMO. I have 2 pairs and I don't find it a faff at all, I did wonder at the beginning if it would be a pain but actually as it's turned out you usually know in the morning what it's going to be like outside, and then if it goes cloudy in the afternoon you can swap them easily enough, so it's no bother for me. I have only ever swapped goggles once in a day though if that, so no more hassle to taking a layer off or putting a layer on in the middle of the day I'd say when you look at it like that.
However, because I ski off piste mainly I carry a rucksack anyway so the other pair go in there, if I didn't carry a rucksack all the time I don't know if I'd want to carry 2 pairs and have them in my pocket, I'd probably go for universal protection in that case to cover me for bright light and make do with the fact they are not as good in flat light. I did used to have one pair of Bolle 'universal' goggles but they were pants in flat light in comparison to my Smith Anthem goggles with Sensor Mirror lenses-they are superb in flat light or cloudy conditions/whiteout and I have worn them on brighter days as well occasionally-they are ok but I can tell they are not good for my eyes in strong light as you've said you found with your orange lenses. It is very important to protect your eyes in strong bright sunlight as I'm sure you are aware as you get in alpine conditions and many people actually don't protect their eyes enough even though they think they do (P.S. I'm a student optometrist so just going on what I know). I personally think it better to have two pairs like you want to do and change them over when the sun gets too bright for you, than make do with one pair for flat light that then lets too much light in on bright sunny days to avoid inadvertedly damaging your eyes. I also wear a helmet so it's easy just to clip them on and off and stuff them in my rucksack.

Hope that helps. For the other pair what about another pair of Smiths that are for the general to bright sunny days-I'd just stick with Smith if you get on with them as I think they are fantastic goggles.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't get it? You can't be bothered to change the lens out on the slope so you're going to carry two pairs round all the time? Doesn't really seem like much less effort. I've got electric eg1s which come standard with a chrome/orange lens and a pink lens for different conditions. I just make the decision at the begninning of the day and don't bother carrying the other with me but if i wanted to change, it really doesn't take long and seems like a significantly cheaper alternative to buying two sets of goggles. Both lens' are perfectly bearable in most conditiosn so if you do make the wrong decision, it really doesn't matter too much.

I don't really know much about the sensor lens but i would have thought any sort of mirror would be better suited to bright conditions, not low light.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oakley Splice-fire Iridium

Best lenses I've ever had the pleasure of wearing, and the iridium lens isn't just for bright conditions, it works much better than the 'rents low light smith lens in white outs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
el nombre, I know what you mean about the Sensor Mirror having a mirror in it but from memory I think its a light rose base tint with a multi layered mirror (Smith website will have accurate info) and it enhances colour contrast and depth perception in low/flat light conditions. Think the lens transmission factor is about 70 odd % maybe 78%? When I tried them I thought they were fantastic and chose them over friend's Oakley gogs for flat light which were quite good but I preferred the Smiths. Mind you, some of it comes down to fit etc especially if you're a woman as some of the universal ones are just too big if you have a petite face. The Smith ones I got are a women's size frame so ideal in every way for what I'm after.

milnerhome, out of interest, do you mean you have tried on your parent's goggles and compared them to your own, or do you mean they have put yours on instead of their own?

One thing I would say on the subject of goggles for flat light, which has been mentioned before on other threads I think, is that whilst its all well and good to get the best pair or pairs or lens changes or whatever that you can for your needs, it makes life a lot easier if you learn how to feel the terrain under your feet when you ski, so that flat light or not, best lenses/goggles on or not you can ski it one way or another with no problems. Not saying people commenting on here can't do that already as I obviously have no idea if people can or not, just saying that's all. Best thing I ever learned.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Smith I/O's managed to knock previously unbeatable Oakleys off their perch for me. Swapping lenses isn't too bad, both lenses are excellent, low light lens is the best I've used and doesn't burn your eyeballs out at the first sign of sun. Dark lens isn't too bad when it isn't sunny either and is fine on bluebird days, so I only tend to swap on whiteouts/bluebird days and leave whichever until another of those two come up. No fogging, big lenses, easy to swap. Will be buying another pair when these die.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, I swapped my goggles for his in a white out , the iridium Lens beat the Smith low light lens hands down, wasn't easy getting them off him, he said they were the best goggle/lens he's ever worn... Hence why hes bought a pair.. Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jesus, the Fire Iridium lens is the darkest Oakley offer. Do we have the same definition of whiteout? At the least I'd warn against that advice and recommend trying them in a shop...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, the reason I asked which way round it was (as in was it the dad trying the Oakleys or the son trying the Smiths) because my optometrist brain was wondering how could it could be that the Fire Iridium lens was preferred when the transmission for the Fire Iridium lens is 16% I think and the Smith transmission (assuming it was the Sensor Mirror lens mind you) is 78%? which is considerably higher. If they were approximately the same percentage then I could understand it. Especially as when people get older their colour contrast and depth perception abilities both reduce which makes it even more odd that milnerhome's dad preferred the Fire Iridium lens.

Unless the Smith lens used at the time was more like 40-50% transmission and a more universal lens like my Bolle's used to be. I think the Fire Iridium is used for medium to bright conditions so maybe like you say, the definition of white out can be subjective.

Could just be different strokes for different folks.

By the way, I'm not saying one brand is better than another, I'm just comparing the transmission that's all as obviously 16% is considerably lower than 70 odd %.
snow conditions
I have two pairs of Oakleys. One pair with pink and the other with black iridium lenses. Both are useable in most conditions but the pink are a whole lot better in low light conditions (and nearly unusable in bright sunshine) than the black.

el nombre, for me, having two pairs of goggles is a whole lot easier than pissing about changing lenses. I just keep the other pair in my pack which I'd be carrying anyway.
ski holidays
been using Smith Phenom for years now, on my third set. Great fitting and bomb-proof build quality; they just work. Use one pair 90% of the time, but carry cheap bolle in case of occasional steam-ups and as a spare for mates who insist on wearing sunnies only to ask for my spares gogs when we (inevitably) hit poor conditions. Completely agree that carrying spare easier than changing lenses, but then I always have a pack with me.
snow conditions
OK, I'll bite. When it's sunny, I wear sunglasses. Shocked Skullie In snow/flat light I wear Oakley Hi-Yellow, which is fine.
ski holidays
Hurtle, as long as you are swapping the helmet out for a hat to wear with your sunglasses otherwise your actions are totally unacceptable Toofy Grin
snow report
I wear sunglasses with helmet on blue sky days and googles with helmet on flat light days and days with precipitation.
snow report
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I always have a rucksack and i also suffer from reynauds and have massive gloves on virtually all the time so definitely prefer a swap of goggles over trying to change lenses. Those fire-iridium lenses do look pretty cool so might be a goer for my everyday goggle, somebody also reckoned green lenses were good as they would also help increase contrast - any thoughts on POCs?
snow conditions
arv wrote:
Hurtle, as long as you are swapping the helmet out for a hat to wear with your sunglasses otherwise your actions are totally unacceptable Toofy Grin
I doubt that there are many ways in which Megamum and I resemble each other. Evidently being unacceptable is one of them. wink
snow conditions
Hurtle, I'll fess up to being in the unacceptable club too. Do I look as though I care? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
For what it's worth, on the "faux pas you probably don't care about" list is fire iridium lenses are only allowed to be worn if you're ridiculously good at skiing...
snow report
Kitty, no. Do I? Cool
snow report
Also agree that I find it easier/quicker to just swap the goggles themselves rather than mess about trying to change lenses in one pair of goggles, especially on a chair lift or something when the lenses could be dropped and lost easily.

Always worn goggles with my helmet regardless of weather because I find them more comfortable and probably safer too I think in the event of an accident. I think the sides of the sunglasses would feel uncomfortable under my earpads of the helmet but I know not everyone wears earpads.

When its woolly hat time though, its sunglasses or goggles.
snow conditions
Hurtle, Kitty, I don't care either. What does it matter what you look like, esp. at the level I ski at? At least that way I don't look like I ought to be skiing well. Reminds me of the 'all the gear, but no idea' club. VolklAttivaS5, I think if you are wearing googles 'cos the weather is 'duff' and normally wear a helmet you might just as well wear the earpads if only for the warmth you get from them - cold ears are horrid. In any event I feel odd if I put on a helmet that doesn't have them. I often even wear a buff under mine too and can still put the sunglasses on under that as well.
snow report
Megamum, Puzzled I always have the earpads on there, horrible weather or not because I like them on there and they stop the wind even on sunnier days, especially when you are skiing along. That's what I was saying, even if the weather was nice I wouldn't wear sunglasses with my helmet for many reasons, but one of the reasons is because I don't like the thought of the sides of the sunglasses in between the helmet and my head underneath the earpads (or even if the earpads weren't on there I still wouldn't do it). I also wear a buff whatever the weather but wear a thinner one if it's warm. That's not the main reason why I don't wear sunglasses with my helmet though, I definitely prefer goggles for lots of other reasons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure I understand why some think it's so much effort to change a set of lenses. I have a pair of Adidas Yodai goggles with one dark lens and one yellow lens for low light; it probably takes me about 30 seconds totake my rucksack off and change lenses; and being as I'm usually with at least one other boarder I can just do this while they're faffing about with bindings etc.
snow report
Dav, does it not involve taking gloves off? Not an option for me on those extra cold days.
snow report
Dav, agree with arv, you don't have to take your gloves off to do the whole pair of goggles thing. Also, I got put off changing lenses in anything because I had a pair of sunglasses once with interchangeable lenses (also Smith actually and they were pretty deer as I recall so they should have been good enough) and the lenses out of the one side kept dropping out now and again so I stopped wearing them as I never knew when one would drop out onto the snow etc and leave it behind. I think you can get replacement lenses for my goggles actually but for me personally I'd just rather swap the whole goggle, which takes 30 seconds like you say to get them out of my rucksack, swap them and put the old ones back.

I'm not understanding why anyone would want to wear sunglasses with a helmet incidentally, as my goggles are by far the most comfortable choice with my helmet and I reckon it's safer etc. Is it because people find goggles too hot or something on nice days? Is that it?
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, i wear sunnies with a helmet in hot weather, unless I am skiing off-piste and then I keep the goggles on. I know it's not cool to wear sunnies with helmets, but I like the freedom and the feeling of the wind on my face and all the clothing helmets and gogles we end up wearing takes that away.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, ah right.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I don't wear a hat or helmet, just sunglasses. I like the wind in my hair. Laughing

Not sure how sunglasses would work with a helmet, I know a friend tried it with a motorcycle helmet and gave up as it was too uncomfortable. This is why tinter visors were invented.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, yeah. I have worn sunglasses with my motorbike helmet in the past but then I didn't have a tinted visor so it was a bit of a must on sunny days as it was just too dangerous to risk being blinded by the sun-it's not so bad in the car when you can put the sun blind down if you've not got sunglasses on. They weren't very comfortable and would move up if you smiled which was a bit annoying! No need to worry about that though now as I've not had a bike for ages.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Out of choice I wear a helmet - I don't do skiing in a woolly hat or beanie. I wear specs, but can't afford inserts and goggles. So I then have the issue prescription sunnies or contacts and googles. Prescription sunnies are the easiest. OTG goggles worn with specs I find are uncomfortable and prone to steaming up, particularly if I am working hard. I like sunnies and the great peripheral vision they afford. I've not yet tried a pair of goggles that don't have peripheral vision problems - though I have bought some more expensive ones for next season which might be better, though I doubt even they will be as good as specs. in that dept. - I like to see what is going past me as soon as I can. On the whole I think goggles do have fogging problems no matter how careful you are - though a bit of washing up liq polished on the inside helps a great deal. I only wear them if I have to due to bad weather as any sort of precipitation in the air makes glasses - this time, as no-no due to steaming up. So over-all I have a marked preference for sunglasses, which I do wear with a helmet. Though I had no idea it wasn't the 'done thing' to do so. However, even the knowledge that it isn't won't make the slightest difference to me wearing sunglasses and a helmet. N.B. Who decides its not the 'done thing' fashion wise anyway?
snow report
Megamum, yes I see what you mean about the prescription sunglasses.

I wear a helmet 99% of the time as I do own one and I like wearing it as it's warmer and more comfortable in bad weather, but very occasionally I might go out in my hat, but not often, probably have done 1 day in the whole season. If I do, I wear sunglasses with it and goggles if the weather isn't very nice. I must admit I have never had trouble with my goggles steaming up with my helmet at all as the venting is very good with the helmet but I think they (goggles) can do for some people if they are placed over the hat edge when wearing a hat, obviously this doesn't happen with sunglasses. I didn't have fogging problems when I used to wear a hat either mind you.

I also wear glasses/contact lenses but I wear contact lenses with sunglasses/goggles.

Quote:

N.B. Who decides its not the 'done thing' fashion wise anyway?

I think it's not necessarily a 'fashion' thing as such, but I believe it stems from the fact that when goggles are worn with a helmet, they go right up to meet the helmet right with no skin exposed between the goggles and the helmet, whereas with sunglasses they don't, so there is a bare patch of forehead skin that can inevitably catch the sun a bit, resulting in a sunburned/suntanned stripe which obviously can look a bit silly later in the evening when it develops. Think that's where it comes from.
ski holidays
Nice to see a thread started asking for some product recs has turned into a 'should you wear glasses with helmets' debate wink

I think i am going for some dragon rogues with ionized lenses as a 2nd pair as i found them going for cheap unless anybody thinks otherwise (and i know i said i would try some on but heyho)
latest report
slowphil, Laughing

These are for your bright light/general pair yes?

What's the transmission for those Dragon's you mention? I've not tried Dragon goggles but I'm sure someone will be along in a moment who has.
snow report
Oh it's alright I've found it now. 20-25%.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy