Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone know the name of the lo-cost airline

Poster: A snowHead
that flies to Canada from the UK?

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excel airways is one of them that the charter companies use
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is it ZOOM ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I went to canada Canadian Affair was recommended to me as being cheap:

http://www.canadianaffair.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Globespan go aswell
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer,
Foxy has it... Zoom
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im with Nadenoodlee,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has anyone had the pleasure of flying with any of these and what did they think. It seems a long way to go on a 'budget' airline.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, or any other snowHead for that matter. If you're planning a late season dash to Canada I've got four £10 off Zoom vouchers for the 04/05 season that you can have.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my in laws are in Canada and my husband's used them - they were 'fine' - no frills - but that's what it says on the tin! We're flying en famille out there in the summer, will report back - but Cardiff to Toronto is by far the most convenient route for us, and the price made it criminal not to go ...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Canadian Affair were ok - you got some food and drink, there was a film or 2 on drop-down screens but I can't remember if the headphones were free or not. I think you can pay extra to reserve seats with extra legroom.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flew Zoom to Whistler (Vancouver) a couple of weeks ago. Preparing for the worst I found myself impressed. The flights out and back were on time (unlike the BA equivalent); the seats had more leg room than the BA planes; the food was no more revolting than the BA/Air Canada equivalent and the air crew were courteous and efficient. I also liked the way you could pre-select seats from the comfort of your computer, requesting extra leg room etc. (the `standard` leg room allocation was slightly greater than BA/Air Canada) The only slight downer was the back to back films (and no entertainment in the backs of the seats). Made sleeping a bit tricky but eye patches would have sorted that out. And for £370 return....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flew Zoom to Whistler (Vancouver) a couple of weeks ago. Preparing for the worst I found myself impressed. The flights out and back were on time (unlike the BA equivalent); the seats had more leg room than the BA planes; the food was no more revolting than the BA/Air Canada equivalent and the air crew were courteous and efficient. I also liked the way you could pre-select seats from the comfort of your computer, requesting extra leg room etc. (the `standard` leg room allocation was slightly greater than BA/Air Canada) The only slight downer was the back to back films (and no entertainment in the backs of the seats). Made sleeping a bit tricky but eye patches would have sorted that out. And for £370 return....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beetle, Have Air Canada reduced their seat pitch, as they were much more spacious than BA when we flew with them a couple of years ago.? BA are extremely cramped.
snow report
Checked out here http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Airbus_A340.php appear to be 32-34"
BA listed as 31" and so are Zoom.
snow conditions
I flew Air Canada 3 years ago. I seem to recall the leg room being limited. I was 40 two years ago so perhaps I`m shrinking !
snow report
In 1998, we flew on the first ever Britannia 'cheap' flight to Calgary. Half-way across the atlantic the captain informed us that we didn't have enough fuel (??) to get to Calgary so we were diverting to Montreal! Half an hour later we were diverted again to Toronto, where we sat for 3 hours while the replacement crew was flown in from Calgary as our crew was out of hours. We eventually arrived in Calgary 5 hours late and got into Lake Louise at 2 in the morning!
snow report
tessaventer, Very Happy You can imagine the conversation on the flight deck,

"No! You definitely said you were going to fill it up after your trip to Lyon."

"I did not. You said not to bother, as you could get it cheaper on you way back from Geneva!"
latest report
We did Monarch to Bangor, Maine some 14 yrs ago in a 757. Similar story in that captain informed us that we did not have enough fuel to reach the USA (life jacket was already out from under the seat and over my head). We diverted to Gander in Newfoundland. We were dressed in shorts for our arrival in Florida and had to walk 100yrds accross deserted tarmac to an airport that was boarded up for the winter. It was -3 with driving snow. There was a military C-130 on the pan, our 757, and lots of snow and that was it. A very surreal experience. The seat pitch in Monarch was the worst I have ever endured. I could only fit in the seat by spreading my legs 2ft apart.
snow report
Two years ago on out flight to calgary (another charter, possibly monarch but can;t quite remember) we wated two hours at manchester while they tried to fix a fault and ended up swapping the plane. the new plane was too small to reach calgar in one hop so we put down at goose bay in newfoundland - we however had to stay on theplane for an hour while they got some fuel to us.

we eventually touched down 4 hours behind schedule and prompt'y set off from the aiport in the wrong direction. Eventually arrived in resort around 1 am, rather than early evening
snow report
Quote:

so we put down at goose bay in newfoundland

'keep your fork, Duke, there's pie for afters'

(allegedly Baffin Island - anyone else heard this modern myth?)
latest report
nbt, ahh. Goose Bay. Been there - but flew in these. Snowheads ia a becoming a bit of a nostalgia trip for fuddy-duddy me today. First Kevin McClean reminds me of a school hymn by using the word "vile" - now you remind me of Goose. It was very cold each time I visited there - with the sea frozen, in one case, 40 miles from the coast. I remember flying from there over the Great Lakes - again all frozen over. I was lying on my stomach looking directly down trough the bomb-aimer's window, at about 45,000 ft on a clear day. The view was fantastic.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, When I was younger I remember watching a Vulcan land at RAF Catterick. They had to close the A1 for the landing. 2 things struck me:
1) The incredible noise
2) The size of his ears ..........(sorry couldnt resist)

ps was goose the airstrip that "stacked" a huge number of planes on 9/11. Remember seeing a photo of many planes neatly parked somewhere on the east coast.?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I knew the captain of the aircraft that landed at Catterick. He was hand-picked - it was a very short runway for a Vulcan. Couldn't say about 9/11 - but it would figure that they would have used Goose.
snow conditions
I've been in a vulcan, but only the disabled one at Blackpool airport.
snow report
Nick Zotov, For those that don't know, the runway at RAF Catterick runs perpendicular to the A1 and starts about 50m from the hard shoulder. The road was closed as the plane had to come in very low over the A1, skim the hedge, and stopr rather quickly. The incredible noise rattled in the lungs, fantastic.
ski holidays
Never fly First Choice Airways Long Haul if you're over 5'5'', you will be cooped up like a battery hen, 1.5hrs to Toulouse was bad enough!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did Thomas Cook/Canadian Affair in February, London - Vancouver, and we found it great, even through the flight called at Calgary as well. Staff were friendly, food better than many. Drinks prices a bit steep - but that didn't bother us as we took our own Happy. Legroom in the standard seats seemed tight though - fortunately we pre-booked our seats and got much more legroom. Flight out was delayed a few hours, but return flight was on time. Seat-back TVs with quite a few channels, they charged for headphones on the way out - but free on the way back!
snow conditions
SteveG, there was an article/review in one of the recent DMS&S magazines. The journalist rated them very highly, especially as he paid the premium price of something like £120 each way.
latest report
Well worth a look into by the sounds of it for next season.
snow conditions
I just found this website which might help with choosing a seat:

http://www.seatguru.com/
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Nick Zotov, When I was younger I remember watching a Vulcan land at RAF Catterick. They had to close the A1 for the landing. 2 things struck me:
1) The incredible noise
2) The size of his ears ..........(sorry couldnt resist)

ps was goose the airstrip that "stacked" a huge number of planes on 9/11. Remember seeing a photo of many planes neatly parked somewhere on the east coast.?

Gander had quite a few.

http://jameshart.mine.nu/ngs/gander1.jpg
http://jameshart.mine.nu/ngs/gander2.jpg
http://jameshart.mine.nu/ngs/gander3.jpg
http://jameshart.mine.nu/ngs/gander4.jpg
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:
..Gander had quite a few...

Didn't they just - stacked up along the runway Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy