Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

all round ski

Poster: A snowHead
i don't suppose there is such a beast.. but what comes close? For carving on piste and skiing powder and bumps? And something that won't be too bad when i have to ski on the ice (can anyone ski on ice??)
I don't really want to be taking 2 pairs everywhere any more.... in case you ask.. i'm 5ft 9ins, & 12 stone in the ski season wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
namwons, which type of skiing (eg off-piste powder, on-piste, bumps, etc) would you be most happy to compromise and which would you be least happy to compromise? Or would you like a ski which is equally (in)competent in all conditions?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 Poonton!
Dont be put off by the width - its pretty good in all conditions, especially powder
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi Rob@rar

ideally a ski equally competent in all conditions, but if i have to err towards anything it would be offpiste though i am fond of high speed carving too. I like the bumps but prob spend least time on them than anywhere.. proper moguls that is.. I've skiied Scott Punishers and like them.. anything better for all-round out there?
The other thing is i'm hoping to do an instructor course next season and wonder what these type of skis would be like teaching on. I looked at the Pontoon review and they sound awesome in powder.. almost a "must-have" - but for teaching??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I looked at the Pontoon review and they sound awesome in powder.. almost a "must-have" - but for teaching??

They are a little wide for the piste - but the rocker makes them easy to turn especially in bumps.
With a touring binding it is a great all mountain option.
And no one wants to take 2 pairs of skis everywhere - when you can get one that will do everything!

What other type of skiing do you want to do ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
namwons, if you're doing an instructor course you'll also need to think about what ski will be suitable for that. I fear that a great all round ski which is equally at home in powder, variable snow, high speed on-piste carving, bumps and instructor exams doesn't exist. Pontoons would be a complete nightmare, and was suggested here as a little bit of trolling. My advice would be to bite the bullet and go for two pairs, one with a piste focus and the other with an off-piste focus. More hassle when travelling, but worth it not to have to compromise on ski choice IMO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for rob@rar but if you truly must have a one ski quiver analyse where you will be doing most of your skiing, your ability level/experience and choose from teh spectrum accordingly. On shs the spectrum of what people consider to be all-mountain varies from 110-70-100 ish to 140-110-130ish so you will never get definitive advice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
namwons, I have some 179 HSFR's for sale which has a 92 waist and has been a great all mountain ski for me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^

Those would be great for namwons.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^

Not for instructor exams they wouldn't.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^

But Poontons would be better for almost everything.
Its a really fun ski for instructor exams.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
^^^

Not for instructor exams they wouldn't.

True
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

But Poontons would be better for almost everything.
Its a really fun ski for instructor exams.

define "fun" in this context yaq si HS Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try them - once you go fat you wont you go back.
Plus Pontoon is surprisingly easy for snow ploughs and demos.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have some 179 HSFR's for sale which has a 92 waist and has been a great all mountain ski for me.

what are you buying next Olly? my search for HSFR (never heard of them) led me to a site for icelantic skis.. these look pretty nifty.. anyone used them? if so which model?

Quote:

Plus Pontoon is surprisingly easy for snow ploughs and demos.

think i'd like someone to second that yaq si HS wink
snow report
namwons, I might be wrong, but I think they mean High Society Freerides?
ski holidays
Quote:

once you go fat you wont you go back

So said Pavarotti....
snow report
Megamum wrote:
namwons, I might be wrong, but I think they mean High Society Freerides?

you aren't wrong Cracking skis IMHO
snow report
K2 Explorer in 170cm
http://k2skis.com/skis/apache/xplorer

Head Titan in 163cm or 170cm
http://www.head.com/ski/ski.php?region=eu&tag=racing&id=3020

I've skied the former. Excellent.
Getting the latter for the 10/11 season
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Head Titan ... Getting the latter for the 10/11 season

Yup, me too. Looks to be a good teaching ski with a reasonable balanced compromise for on piste/off piste.
snow report
rob@rar, oh good, you so obviously needed another pair of skis! wink
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, oh good, you so obviously needed another pair of skis! wink

Two pairs actually, Titans and Jimis Embarassed
latest report
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing Enjoy!
latest report
But I will sell some as well. Nice pair of Volkl Karmas going cheap, and maybe my HSFR as well (although will keep the bindings).
snow report
rob@rar, Have you got the 187's HSFR? Maybe interested?
snow conditions
o11y, no, I've got the baby version (179?).
snow report
Two pairs is the way to go, but if you can only afford one (and have to pass exams on them), you should definitely check out the Dynastar Sultan 85s.
latest report
Line blends? More freestyle oriented though
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends dude. If you're a solid skier you'll be able to rock a narrower ski in powder, and so compromise less on piste.

Personally i don't really like 'all rounders'; the closest i get in my quiver is a Head im82. Stiff, responsive and fast edge-to-edge (can short-radius if you have the legs), and enough float if you've the skills when it dumps.

In short though, buy a bigger ski bag and work on your charm at check-in Very Happy
ski holidays
yag_si_HS, how do you fit the Pontoons in your gay ski carry? Puzzled
snow conditions
WDF Preachers, although they're not at home on ice.
snow report
parlor wrote:
your gay ski carry? Puzzled

me thinks the lady doth protest too much Laughing Laughing

while we're about it, to the OP, check out a movement source or for something cheaper (and basically an earlier evolution of the source) check out the movement gladiator - a few to still be had round the doors at good prices. Best all mountain i've ever had by a country mile, have 2 pairs on the go, one now nearing retirement, the other recently re-mounted for tellymarky skiing (the fandan love it you know Cool ) . Cant speak for their suitability for teaching but for a one loader they're all you'll ever need. Sadly discontinued but as I said evolved into the source, which going by the blurb should be even more versatile (if a little more piste / less free oriented). I'm a big fan of their skis as you might tell, not sure about the newer stuff but the "original" gear is top notch
snow report
Hire skis.

Most ski resort shops now carry an extensive range of top end skis.
If you must buy, head more towards the piste side of things, better for your instructor course, you are going to be doing a lot of short radius turns.
They will work perfectly well on all but the deepest powder days, then you go & hire something silly

I've got a pair a of slalom skis & they are awesome on a powder day.
They may be narrow, but they have big tips & tails so they float if you go fast enough
& it really confuses the poseurs ... full knarly off piste kit but 165 slalom skis !

(ok I have lots of other skis too, including silly fat, but it is good for a laugh occasionaly)
ski holidays
namwons, I have to agree with rob@rar, you will need two pairs if you are going for instructor training. It sounds like you will need a good piste ski and an off piste ski that can handle the piste sometimes.

rob@rar, has seen me ski Movement Fly Swatters at Hemel, good fun on piste and a dream off piste
snow conditions
Alan McGregor wrote:
Hire skis.

Most ski resort shops now carry an extensive range of top end skis.
If you must buy, head more towards the piste side of things, better for your instructor course, you are going to be doing a lot of short radius turns.
They will work perfectly well on all but the deepest powder days, then you go & hire something silly

I've got a pair a of slalom skis & they are awesome on a powder day.
They may be narrow, but they have big tips & tails so they float if you go fast enough
& it really confuses the poseurs ... full knarly off piste kit but 165 slalom skis !

(ok I have lots of other skis too, including silly fat, but it is good for a laugh occasionaly)

Which slalom ski are you rocking Alan?
latest report
I've used slalom skis on powder days before now.

Float they don't, despite big tips and tails. That taught me that the underfoot bit provides most of the floatation.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I've used slalom skis on powder days before now.

Float they don't, despite big tips and tails. That taught me that the underfoot bit provides most of the floatation.

Hmm I'd be inclined to agree and FWIW I don't know what hire shops he frequents but most places I see don't seem to be overendowed with a decent selection of long wide skis (& 175 Pocket Rockets don't count).
latest report
I've used slalom skis on powder days too, and in fresh light powder they're ok, a little squirrely perhaps, but certainly skiable and a lot better than my GS skis. However in deep wet snow, slushy off-piste or heavy snow I find them much more difficult compared with my fatter longer skis and have to step off the gas a little.
ski holidays
(Proper) powder is easy to ski to anything, just the surfy feel of fatter skis is more fun (for me, anyway). It's the other offpiste conditions, such as heavy wet snow/crud/etc where fat skis are most beneficial.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy