Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap, lively-ish French resort for Jan-11

Poster: A snowHead
There's a group of ~6 of us, looking for something cheap-ish, with some decent Aprés but nothing too heavy (good selection of bars open late, not clubs etc).

We've done 3V before and don't really want to go back, last couple of years we've been in Saalbach-Hinterglemm and really enjoyed it, but fancy returning to France next year.

At the moment I'm thinking of LDA, Tignes, Les Arcs (too expensive?)...but I'm not sure how they compare for the cheap criteria?

In terms of terrain I'm the only skiier, the others are all fairly new boarders so we won't be venturing off piste. But a good mix of blues and reds would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Ta Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
amazing... nobody has done a La Rosiere commercial yet
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
/Goes off to google...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottland, LDA is probably as cheap as you'll get for a major high french resort. Plenty of bars and reasonably priced restaurants. I haven't been to Les Arcs but have been to Tignes a couple of times and would say LDA is cheaper. Plenty of pistes of all colours.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Colin B, a major/big resort isn't necessarily what we're looking for. Just as long as there's there's good skiing and a chance to go out for a few beers of an evening, have a laugh, and not feel like we're imposing on a quiet locals bar.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scottland, I'd second the LDA suggestion, as it's a lively place with a decent choice of bars and far more "apres" than a smaller resort. Small French resorts are dead quiet in mid January, so if you are wanting other noisy people of an evening, to mask your contribution, I'd go for LDA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want cheap maybe you could look at the southern french alps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottland, For that week I imagine there will be late deals on catered chalets in all the resorts you mention. You could also add Val d'Isere to your list and possibly also Portes du Soleil (Avoriaz, Morzine etc) if the early season snow is good. If cheap is your main criteria and you're not fussy on location I'd wait and see where the best deals are.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowymum, Unfortunately the likes of Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier in the southern French Alps aren't that cheap. Price of a pint of beer is widely around the €5 mark. The lift passes aren't particularly good value either. It is less expensive in all regards in comparison to the likes of Les Arcs, Tignes, Val d'Isere, but personally I don't think it is cheap.

The other southern French resorts are Vars, Risoul and Puy st. Vincent, but cannot really cannot as I've never been but I would have thought they might be a little quiet.

Val d'Isere although being a rip off is pretty good for apres ski, if you want to pub it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
christopher - I would agree that montgenevre isn't cheap (but is very good). I was thinking more of the likes of risoul, les orres etc. I went to les orres the first time I ever skiied but that is going back some time so can't remember what night life if any there was. If I remember correctly there was a night club in a building the shape of a football?!

The resorts in the Maurienne area seem cheaper than Tarentaise but I haven't been to any of them yet. Is Andorra still a cheap place to go?

I would have thought some of the Italian places would be a bit cheaper and have had more nightlife but scottland said he wanted to go to France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scottland, Morzine
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les arcs 1800 is one of the best places for a mixed skill group you can get + some good apres.

Close but not France, Cervinia Italy compact/sunny/high/link to zermatt for a day out, Nendaz Swiss the cost effective way into 4 valley/Verbier ski area good local runs and a couple or few good bars.

Morzine quite good if you can get at the right cost.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morzine if you can wait and see what the snow is doing...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Deux Alpes is a great resort, has plenty of skiing, bars, restaurants etc. if you need any advice on where to stay etc. my email is info@snowangelnannies.co.uk I'd be happy to help!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alexchapman, whats the avg price of a pint in les deux alpes?
snow conditions
creedgearoid, I think it is 5 euros normally but generally there are plenty of offers on and if you buy jugs its cheeper! I don't drink pints though so don't hold me to that!!! I know that a demi Leffe in the Polar Bear is 2:50 euros!
snow report
6.321 euros
snow conditions
Morzine, snaffle a couple of Mutzig's in Bar Robinson straight off the slopes - you won't need to worry too much about the price after them Madeye-Smiley

There are quite a few decent bars for later in the evening & plenty of seasonnaires & other nationality skiers, not just Brits.

Beginners can get a Morzine-Les Gets pass but a PdS pass covers a similar length of runs spread over more, smaller valleys than the 3Vs. It doesn't interconnect so well - from Morzine you can get a Gondola or Chair from the village into the Morzine-Les Gets side (which is quite big) or get a Gondola from the other side of town to the Avoriaz side which connects to a massive area & you can ski to about ten other villages, some in France & some in Switzerland - but you have to get a Gondola or Bus back eventually (depending where you end up).
ski holidays
Thanks for all the responses guys, plenty for me to look into. Seems like LDA and Morzine are getting the most votes.
ski holidays
Scottland, Alpe D'Huez? I had seen good reports on here of Rocketski's Clubhotel Beausoleil-think that's got a good atmosphere from reports and plenty of apres and also plenty of skiing for your group. I've not been though. Yet.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Alpe D'huez is nice, I've been a couple of times. It's more expensive than Les Deux Alpes though.
ski holidays
Colin B, oh is it? I thought it would be similar in cost as it's the next one along from LDA isn't it? Mind you that doesn't necessarily tally for all resorts, look at Meribel and Courchevel.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, It's a fair bit dearer. At Easter 2008 I had a week at each and the difference in prices was noticeable.
snow report
That's interesting. I haven't been to either and am used to Tignes/Val D prices anyway. Serre Chevalier I must admit I found a lot cheaper compared to Tignes/Val for some reason just in general for food and drink but maybe it's a bit more expensive in Villeneuve compared to Chantemerle where I stayed which is quieter but still had a few good bars. I'm going to Alpe D'Huez over New Year (normally would avoid! But am a bit stuck for when I can go next season).
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I like Alpe D'Huez, there's plenty of skiing and you can ski over to some of the other villages too. Price wise I guess it's probably a little less than Tignes (I've been there a couple of times) I would think.
ski holidays
Yeah. It looked like there was plenty when I looked, it's nice and high so hopefully a good chance of early season snow and also it has a SCGB Rep. It's nice to try new places as well as I've skied in Tignes loads of times now. I shall carry on doing so but it is nice to go somewhere else sometimes.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Yes I know what you mean. I tend to do Tignes in December (October this year too, Mountainsun) and Les Deux Alpes at Easter. I try to go somwhere different at half term, St Anton next year after Zermatt and Laax the last two.
latest report
After a bit of looking around I think LDA seems to suit the bill, I still like the look of Les Arcs (1800) but I think it's probably a bit dearer there yes?

Any thoughts on where to stay, or where to avoid in LDA?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scottland, someone told me the other day they'd had a good report on Rocketski's accomdation in LDA, and it's very reasonably priced, they have 2 accomodations there though I think, and I don't know which one it was, sorry. They do have school groups there sometimes but they tell you if there's a group there that week, and as far as I know they are pretty good at keeping the school groups and other guests separate with separate meal times etc. So you could have a look at them. Think the accomodation is usually well placed and good for groups etc.
ski holidays
Scottland, Les Lutins is cheap as chips for B&B, is good and clean and ideally located.
ski holidays
I second/third/fourth Morzine. I've been to the PdS a few times, and with it being so big, there's always snow somewhere. The links aren't great over on the Swiss side, but there is plenty of skiing to be had, and Morzine can be pretty lively. A lot cheaper than the 3V and Cham in my limited experience.
snow conditions
you could try le Cret hotel its central and good!
snow conditions
Callai, I'll have another look at Morzine thanks.

I think we'll probably end up looking for self catering to be honest, I've used PV-holidays before and found them ok. Any feedback on the apartments they have at LDA? Such as this one: http://goo.gl/GFn9
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy