Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone stayed in Innsbruck and skied the local areas..Stubai, Kuhtai, Axamer etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of organising a lads trip to Innsbruck. The tourist board seem to offerring a reasonable deal.

From the centre of town I understand you can get buses to the local resorts. Our plan would be to visit differant areas over our 4 day stay ( Stubaai, Schlick, Axamer, Kuhtai etc )

Anyone got any experience of that area?

cheers all

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, you can do it easily, free ski bus which stops at trains station and major hotels (e.g. Hilton, Sailor) and one ski pass for the area. Innsbruck is a nice town too. On the basis that you are on a lads city trip there are also closer but smaller resorts than Stubai (bus 60 minutes +) and Kuhtai (bus +/- 60 mins) that are perhaps more appropriate for a day. Alternatively you can stay up the Stubai Valley or Kuhtai
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rich - I've had a couple of trips based in Innsbruck . The city itself is pleasant - good bars etc although it doesn't feel at all like a ski resort. Stubai is great but about 90 mins on the bus from memory. Taxi is much quicker. Axamer litzum is fine for a day. We also went to Ischgl for the day - minibus taxi. Great place with mental après ski
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oi Oi Savaloy, I've never done Innsbruck, but have skied in Stubai lots and also in Steinach. Stubaier Gletscher is quite big in winter time, but a long way up the hill from Innsbruck - might be better to stay one night there if going, the hotel at the bottom of the glacier is very nice indeed (yummy food). Fulpmes is small and closer to Innsbruck, just inside the Stubaital and there are little bits of skiing more or less all the way up the valley. Steinach is small but I liked it a lot. Whether it would be good for a lads' trip I don't know though. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, free buses from the city centre to all those resorts. It takes around an hour to get to Stubai, but it's a pretty scenic journey. Axamer is worth a day at least, Igls/Patscherkoffel is another nice smaller area, and the pistes seem to be generally fairly steep - around 20 minutes or so on the bus. If you like offpiste don't forget Nordkette either. Lifts straight from the city centre give you access to some awesome terrain, with big faces to steep couloirs and everything in between. Gets snow when other places don't as well - if you look up from the city and the clouds are trapped against the (mountain) wall, you're in for a treat. All these resorts are on the same lift pass too.

It's easily possible to do daytrips to some of the bigger resorts in the area too, St Anton is a 1 hour direct (and regular) train journey away, Kitzbuhel similar, and I think Mayrhofen is around 40 minutes (that might be by bus though, can't remember off the top of my head).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, I did Zell am Ziller from there in about 35-40mins by car. That's handy, cos there's huge carpark by the lift station, plus rental shops if you need them. Fügen is similar, but a bit closer. Mayrhofen a bit further, but not sure if there's carpark near lift? In that valley, by train, I think Fügen would be best as there's a station near the lift station. No idea about buses.

I would have done Nordkette & Igls/Patcherkoffel before, but since I had my car and didn't want hassle of sorting ski rental twice, I copped out and went to Zell am Ziller. Zero traffic heading up the valley on a Saturday am. It's all heading out of the valley back to the airport Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy