Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Land of Rising Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know a few shs went last winter courtesy of the Wazza Smith roadshow but anyone got any useful tips on doing Japan as an independent. Issues I can see so far

- JAL baggage allowance
- distance bewteen 2 main ski regions
- too many Aussies
- offpiste of dubious legality some places
- microvan transfers not great for lardy western blokes with kit
- monkeys poaching your onsen

How much is practically possible in a 2 week trip? Where are the must gos/stays? Respectable budget excluding airfares for a 2 week trip assuming hitting at least 4 "resorts"? Don't mind a reasonable amount of noodles etc rather than Kobe steaks and high end sushi and quite like the idea of lodges rather than 4* hotels etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go in March, when it warms up a bit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, I spoke to Japan Ski Experience and the guy told me that they were trying to negotiate special luggage allowances with JAL. Might want to shoot them an email and they can put a package together. Just the timings that didn't work out for me in the end last year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of the guys on the WS course (Ed) stayed in a B&B lodge in Hirafu run by Aussies, which he said was excellent value - I'm sure this was it...http://holidayniseko.com/lodge-bamboo.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I were one, and I've discussed going again with some of the others.

If we did we would; get Annika at Ski Independance to sort flights (as she negotiated free ski haulage for the WSSA), get own transport, stay in Hirafu for part of the trip, be prepared to drive regularly to other resorts and probably "two centre" the trip anyway. I'd stay on the North Island myself, but wouldn't go to Furano.

Also, research which resorts allow unlimited backcountry access and which limit or ban it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is December too early?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, not looking at Mikepow's pics. PM him.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffers, yep, that was Ed's gaff.

I was planning on organising a Japan trip next season but 'er indoors has scuppered that so it'll just be a couple of European weeks for me next season & then I'll probably be Borneo bound in the summer rolling eyes

Anyways I'll defo be going back to Japan in 2012 & I'm planning on orgainising a trip with an itinary as Marc's described & will starting to get things in place next summer. Will be looking to get together a party of approx a dozen as the transfer/day trip coach company I've spoken to do a small bus that'll comfortably fit that many fat b'stards with full kit without the need for a trailer & that's sufficient numbers for Annika to work her magic on the flights/ski carriage. JAL have been a pain to deal with so at the moment it would probably be either ANA from Heathrow to Tokyo to Sopporro. BA offered a deal to Sopporro via Hong Kong but when I knew I couldn't make it there next year I didn't bother looking at the logistics of that route & they might not even be in business for 2012. Was looking at a Sat night depart & a Sun return (6 days skiing) so folks would only need 5 days off work & to keep the trip to a £2k all in budget. Will be Hirafu based with a number of day trips etc. There will then an option to stay an addditional week at a second resort. I already have 9 provisionals which now includes fatbob wink. Timing is open but a number of the provisionals can't do the Feb half term (when we went this year) & either end Jan or early March appear to be the most popular.

Going all that way for just one week I hear you say! Well a number of the provisional takers for either budget, family or annual leave reasons can only really get away for a week but with the time difference being 9 hours ahead there's no jet lag issues coming back & popping a good sleeping tablet on arrival in resort late evening means you're good to go on the first day. With no altitiude issues to deal with compared to Europe/North America & the 99% guaranteed powder you can get a load fantastic skiing done in just one week. Those who went this year felt that if we'd have returned after a week we still would have had a fantastic time! But if you want more you can stay longer.

If anyone's genuinely interested then PM me (no tyre kickers please).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Happy to be a provisional for that but would probably be a 2 weeker.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
Happy to be a provisional for that but would probably be a 2 weeker.

fatbob, a gnarly hard core freerider eh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy