Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola v. Chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
The rumoured installationn of a Gondola in Montalbert rather than a new chairlift seems to have revealed some hatred of Gondola's.
Personally I think I prefer a chairlift for skiing but can see some advantages in a gondola, anyone on here have strong views on one or the other?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chair lift - even with my board !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A gondolas a nice (in the pejorative sense) rest occasionally but if there was a chair and a gondola side by side a la Meribel at the Chaudanne I'd take the chair every time, the faff factor of taking off your ski's and climbing steps etc is just a pain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a long lift I prefer a gondola (the smaller 6-8 person ones), you can stretch out, have more of a break, and it's easier to talk to people. I don't like the bigger gondolas (new Galzigbahn) so much, and cable cars are the worst. Chairlift for the shorter uplifts, less faff taking skis off etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing wrote:
The rumoured installationn of a Gondola in Montalbert rather than a new chairlift seems to have revealed some hatred of Gondola's.
Personally I think I prefer a chairlift for skiing but can see some advantages in a gondola, anyone on here have strong views on one or the other?
The only gondolas I hate are the ones with apostrophes in them. wink Otherwise I'm not fussed either way - except that I don't like getting cold on very long, exposed chairs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helmet.

Goggles.

Oops... wrong argument threads. Gondolas generally are more of a pain in the ass for repeat laps as its skis off, up stairs to loading platform, down stairs from unload, clip in etc. For 1st in the day uplift or mid day picnic they have their benefits enabling one to do one's faff without losing stuff. Pulse gondolas (except at La Grave) are a cheapskate approach and should be discouraged.

Edit to add - many gondola racks incapable nowadays of taking "modern" width skis
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought that I was in a minority of one! Good to know others prefer chairlifts!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gondola might be able to keep going in higher wind speeds than a chair. But I doubt that'd be an issue from Montalbert - which is relatively low and sheltered, I think. Personally I prefer chairs in fairish weather - 'cos you keep your skis on and get only fresh air. Sometimes a gondola can be stinky. But if the chair slows and it's really cold, no contest.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Modern detachable chairlift (with weather cover) is preferable while skiing, however Gondolas are much better for pedestrians, so are much more easily in summer for tourist/walkers etc - potentially a way of getting a better return on investment?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobinS wrote:
Gondolas are much better for pedestrians,

And for ski and boarding beginners. I've not yet had the pleasure of skiing to Montalbert so don't know if beginners would ever need to upload from the village, but if they did a gondola would be easier for them to manage.

I prefer a fast chairlift with a cover. No faffing around taking skis off, trying to squeeze them into a too-narrow ski rack, no problems with big temperature differences (can't bear being in a hot cablecar or gondola on a freezing cold day). Just better all round.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, easier to pass the brandy filled hip flask over too Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chairlift for me on skis or board, unless it's really bitterly cold and blowing a howler.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, as Lizard is fond of pointing out, I must have been a greengrocer in a former life Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobinS wrote:
Modern detachable chairlift (with weather cover) is preferable while skiing, however Gondolas are much better for pedestrians, so are much more easily in summer for tourist/walkers etc - potentially a way of getting a better return on investment?

I agree with the benefits of detachable chairlifts with optional pull down covers.

I have seen them used for walkers in the summer in places. They just run them at half speed so when it comes to getting on and off they are going very slowly indeed. A bit slow going up of course, but if you are out for a day's walking you are only likely to use them once a day anyway and you can just relax and enjoy the view.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chairlifts have been used for decades for summer walkers in the alps without incident and for mountain bikers by welding a couple of hooks on every other chair. No real case for gondolas except for the wimpish.
snow report
I can see the benefits of a gondola in a resort that struggles for snow from mid march.
snow conditions
Chairlifts generally preferred - only when it is really extremely cold (as we experienced one year in Stowe) would I prefer a gondola, as everyone has said, all that faffing about and climbing up stairs quite often. Not sure that I agree that gondolas are better in the summer though - they can get oh so hot... and if its nice enough to be out then it nice to be in the fresh air on the chair. You just have to be ready to scoot off at the top if not on the modern ones that come almost to a standstill.
snow report
Chairlifts for me during the day. I don't mind gondolas first thing in the morning and last thing at night to get on/off the hill.
ski holidays
Chairlift in the sun.

Cabin in all other weathers.
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:

I don't care as long as they replace the chair we have which is run on geriatric marmot power Toofy Grin
latest report
Skis dangling in the air, hip flask in hand, slight risk of mobile phone/car keys/poles etc being dropped to certain death,the Austrian next to me cursing the very air I breathe in German.

Chairlifts all the way! Very Happy
snow report
redrunmarcus, I gave up using that lift wink Will they keep the faster alternative?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, probably not...............maybe we could buy it and operate privately.................. snowHead
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, How cool would that be snowHead
snow report
Boredsurfing, very ......could have a B B Q at the bottom as well Cool snowHead
snow report
Gondolas, nice and warm in the winter. chairs are too cold if you're out all day and can't go in to warm up. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
It has to be a chairlift. Gondolas seem like cheating. Nothing beats your skis rocking while you look at some seriously stunning scenery.
snow report
on a chair lift you can look at the scenery and switch off and relax, in a gondola most times you have to look at the smelly person squeezed in right in front of you. If the gondola is empty or you are with you mates then fine Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Detachable, covered chairlift.
snow conditions
I think it is Zermatt has a lift that is a mix of Gondola and Chairs so every 2nd uphill is on a chair and the rest are Gondola based.

Best of both worlds and no argument Smile
ski holidays
Aren't we all just getting a little fussy ? wink If I gain altitude without having to walk, then I'm not that bothered any which way Cool
ski holidays
Hear, Hear!
Gondola, Chairlift, Poma, T-Bar. All the same to me. Not so keen on dangling sardine cans (cable cars) though.
snow report
The best ascents are self-powered. snowHead
latest report
Chairlift much preferable to Gondola. Hate having to take my skis off to get in the gondola, but the main reason I hate them is that gondolas encourage extreme amounts of faffing even in normally faff-resistant skiiers. If you measured the amount of faffing people do after a gondola I reckon its roughly twice as much on average, as after a chairlift. People much more likely to mess with boots, gloves, helmets, rucksacks, hair, goggles, sunglasses, start taking photos, need the toilet, need a coffee, need to apply sunscreen, need to put on additional clothing, need to feed the dog, water the plants, etc etc etc after gondola. PLus they are more boring and you dont get to sit in the open air.
snow conditions
Batman_123, you're right! Must admit that, if my first uplift of the day is a gondola, I tend to get there only half-dressed, carrying sundry bits of equipment including the suntan cream and with my boots undone - so my own faff factor will be at its maximum. Embarassed
ski holidays
Hurtle, Laughing God point well made, should suit my teenagers very well.
snow report
Hurtle, I know, its a pattern I have been monitoring for a while. Very very important at times.
Gondolas are also worse than Pomas and T-Bars on the faff factor scale although I am yet to decide which of those two causes most faffing. T-Bars get people up quicker (assuming equal basic speed of lift), if people are able to go 2 at a time, but then people faff around at the top as they get there together and need to talk about how funny it was that one of them nearly fell off or some other hilarious incident that occurred on the way up, and once this conversation has started, more faffing will ensue and boots will start being fiddled with (plus rest of list mentioned in above post). Pomas on the other hand are a bit slower in only taking one at a time, but tend not to encourage people to faff once at the top, so actually I think less faffing on Pomas than T-Bars
snow report
Batman_123, made even worse by the fact that in the gondola they could have spent the whole ride faffing with sunnies, sun-block, lippy, phone-a-friend, nom some jelly babies, check the piste map, ...
Only excuse for faff is finding a gap to put skis on, and bash all the sticky snow off the boots that just accumulated in that 15m walk.
ski holidays
andy, yes, the do do exactly that, and then have to do it all again afterwards. Especially the checking the piste map thing that people insist on doing all the time, over and over Evil or Very Mad
I agree, there should be limited room for faffing while skiing, you've hit the nail on the head with correct and only excuse for it Very Happy And the good thing about chairlift is that it eliminates that need for faffing altogether Very Happy
latest report
Gondolas are rubbish with fat skis! I'm terrified I'll lose mine when I put them in the snowboard rack.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy