Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

You already know this but......... Jon's Ski Tuning course

Poster: A snowHead
is well worth the time and money Very Happy

Sorry for a posting that has content that has been aired as often as helmets, snowchains and inner tip lead together Toofy Grin

But it is worth saying again.

Ok it was 500 mile round trip but what I learned:

I will never take my skis to to be shop tuned again unless of course i want them to be butchered into something completely unlike the ones i bought.

Tuning your own is not difficult or complicated if you have been shown properly and you have the right equipment, and it need not take a great deal of time.

I throughly reccomend spending a few hours of your time drinking tea and eating biscuits with Jon Toofy Grin and learning how to do it properly.

(and yes you can tune skis with your hand in plaster rolling eyes )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have you got a website link for the courses ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/ wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, Boredsurfing,

Thanks for your help. Afternoon course booked for me and Mrs W, 8th Aug.

Really looking forward to it.

Ya see, without snowHead I would never have known about this. Exellent.

Thanks again
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne, what's your preference for biccies then?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just thought I’d give some feedback, in case anyone else in wondering whether it’s worth making the trip to Nottingham to participate in one of Jon’s ski tuning courses.

Basically a resounding Yes, excellent course.

The course only last about 3 hours but there are lots of topics covered and with the opportunity to ask as many questions as you want (useful for someone as dim as me).

Jon uses simple diagrams, that even I could understand, to explain the finer points of edge angles and the difference that can be obtained by various tuning methods and, more importantly, the reasons that you may want to tune to different angles.

To start with you’ll learn why it’s vital to have a black marker pen in your ski tuning kit. Go on the course and you’ll find out.

We were shown how to work out the true angle of the edges on your skis – whatever it says on the box or the guy in the shop told you it would be, also what kit you’ll need to service your own ski and what you don’t need.

Next, how to tune up a new pair of skis yourself to whatever edge angle you want or just check that they are what you thought they were. I prefer around 88’ as it’s about right for my normal ski day. ie. teaching all levels (from 1 to 5, although, for me, it’s predominately students at levels 4 & 5) half the time and blasting around with my mates the rest of the time. Also we were shown how to recognise what the shop has done when you put em in for service and how to rectify any problems caused by this ?

Waxing methods are all covered. We didn’t go into the waxing methods required for racing but rather the stuff you’ll be doing 99% of the time. I honestly didn’t know how to use wax to clean the base of the ski, brilliant. I thought my bases were clean but the amount of crap that came out of em, well, shocked.

We have all done it, whizzing down then you feel a drag on a ski, look at the base and there is a hole or a scrape. Instead of paying a shop to do it for you, Jon will show you how simple it is to repair the damage.

All in all a really useful few hours delivered in a relaxed and light hearted manner by Jon who has a wealth of experience and in-depth knowledge about all aspect of keeping your planks in tip top condition.

Off to WH Smith today to buy a marker pen.

Here is a link to Jon’s site
http://www.skituning.co.uk http://www.skituning.co.uk[url]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent write up... sounds worthwhile, but Nottingham is too far.

One question though - which could determine wether it's likely i'd go on a similar course or not....

How much does it cost to buy the minimum of gear that you need to tune your own skis if starting from scratch?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly,
Give Jon a call. His contact details are on his site.
I know he sells all the gear and he will tell you what you need (and what you don't).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think there are some kits priced up on there. I think I paid about £100 for the stuff I needed last year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just be careful. Lilke all addictions, you start on the small stuff, doing it socially.
Then you know how it goes... you feel a need to have a better iron. Then someone mentions that the bench you've got isn't quite right. And it would be so much better if only you bought the latest scraper... and you know it would be a real bonus to have one more grade of diamond file to give you that 'special' finish.

Before you know it you've become a fully fledged gear geek. Me? Nah. I mean, you know, I can handle it (sniff), give it up at any time if I wanted...

I hate you Jon. You've made me fill my ski locker with stuff , and I can't stop.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Booked mine for the end of September - can't wait! Is it wrong to find the smell of hot wax and p-tex strangely alluring?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zski, no Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimW, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin , I've just seen your post, I think we need to set up a self help group Very Happy

Happiness is a warm PTex gun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimW, haha i'm booked in with Jon on Tuesday morning and guess what.............I bet i'll have all the GEAR by the end of the month lol! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this something that can be done as a group? Possible Snowheads meet/event? Jon, maximum sensible group size, potential dates?

Can any of the guys that have done it advise the rough costs of a basic session (assume the 3 hours above is a sensible intro) with the man?
ski holidays
timbarrett, you need to get all the gear this month before the VAT increase wink

Monium, check this out.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
timbarrett, you need to get all the gear this month before the VAT increase wink

Monium, check this out.

And that runs for 3 hours? If so, we'd better put our diaries together. No need for group sessions at that kind of price.

Alternatively, can I tempt you into an afternoon session one weekend in our workshop, 2 minutes from Hemel slope? Happy for you to set up 2/3 sessions during the day if it makes the travel worth it - I don't know how portable the stuff is that you need to run things.
latest report
An old topic, but rather than start a new one a resounding thumbs up for Jon, thanks for the day, excellent and I learned so much in such a short time.
Oh yeah and and full afternoon just talking about skis and skiing - my wife just wouldn't understand.... Very Happy
Thanks and highly recommended
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy