Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anciaent Volkl question

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing on a pair of 2005 Volkl Energy Motion XTPs since 2006. I bought them in the 2005 end of season sale without any thought. Does anyone recall / have access to the relevant reference literature to tell me what these skis were designed for, and how out of date they are in terms of technology (nil points for anyone who replies "five years"...).

I was at a ski shop today and realised how behind the curve I am when it comes to ski equipment. I was on the brink of chucking £500 at a pair of Salomon X-Wing Tornado Ti's, but I'm not sure how much better these are than my existing skis and thought I'd find that out first.

I've been skiing for nearly 20 years, going between one and three times a year since then, so I'm a decent skier, but I haven't the space in my head to spend time learning about ski technology (and sorting out the marketing drivel from the facts). I just want a pair of skis that can go anywhere, fast.

Additionally, these Volkl's are hideous. Very out of date graphics and a colour that has been described as "Jewish racing gold". If the skis are worth keeping, is there any way I can update the look with my cack-handed craft skills (paint or transfers)?

thanks in advance for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fatenbread,

Welcome to SHs and a brilliant first post.

1. they were designed for skiing I think. Probably on snow (They're too narrow, IMO, for water skiing).

2. I don't know the ski. They're not quite ancient. I think they're probably a mid range (i.e. intermediate) piste ski. 1-3 weeks over 5 years takes you about 50% of the skis useful life. You may find a decent tune makes a big enough difference to not need to replace them. Things haven't changed that much. Then again...

3. go anywhere, fast. Hmm, I'm not a fan of Salomon X-Wings. You are better served by trialling a few different pairs of skis in resort on your next hols. Don't buy till you try. You can't go far wrong with Volkls. Or Stoeckli.

4. Leave out the possibly-anti-semitic colour assertions round here please. Cool Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd suspect they are perfectly competent piste skis usuable anywhere. When you say "go anywhere fast" - couloirs, monstrous mogul fields, steep powder fields? There may be other skis that do the job better here but if you mean go anywhere on piste fast then I'd think they'd be fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fatenbread, weel I still own, and occasionally ski, a pair of Völkl P30's dating from around 1997. They have seen a lot ( and mean really a LOT ) of use, but are still excelent race carvers, and have not really lost any of their spring. In contrast I once made the mistake of buying a pair of Atomic 'all mountain' something or others, which were great for two seasons and then went dead; felt like having a pair of sponges strapped to your feet.
Your Völkl's are probably just fine, but what you really want to do is find an excuse for getting new skis! Don't touch Salomon though... A pair of Völkl Mantras is what you really want!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
I'd suspect they are perfectly competent piste skis usuable anywhere. When you say "go anywhere fast" - couloirs, monstrous mogul fields, steep powder fields? There may be other skis that do the job better here but if you mean go anywhere on piste fast then I'd think they'd be fine.

I think they were billed as "expert carvers" when I bought them, but I hoped someone with a Volkl 04-05 catalogue or a 4 foot deep pile of Ski magazine next to the bog might know more, and be in a position to tell me where they sit in the current line-up of ski types.

They still seem OK, but when all my ski buddies are now on newer (and heavier) skis like Dynastar Legends, it's almost a struggle to keep up, desite being the resident hooligan in the group.

To clarify what I mean by "anywhere fast", I spend my time on the mountain going from A to B (usually for lunch) and back, by whatever means necessary. I'm probably on piste for 70% to 80% of the time, but frequently take "route 1" and go as the crow flies if it makes sense. I'd also spend the whole day on a particular slope if there was a mammoth powder dump, but as I ski mainly in Europe, those days are few and far between. Moguls do not interest me, I would never take my skis off and hike to get to a particular slope, and I've never jumped of a cliff that was higher than 6 feet - I am now too fat and old to enjoy falling over.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I am now too fat and old to enjoy falling over.

Laughing are you a lot fatter than when you bought them? What length are they?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I am now too fat and old to enjoy falling over.

Laughing are you a lot fatter than when you bought them? What length are they?

I've been between 13 and 14 stone (depending on squash / football activity and beer / pizza consumption) for several years now, before I bought the skis at least.

They are 177's.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fatenbread, we have some very similar skis, same size. They're in France so I can't check the details. My son, same kind of weight as you, and a very good skier, uses them on piste and enjoys them - he's not someone to complain about his tools, especially when he doesn't have to pay for them. wink But they wouldn't be his ski of choice and off-piste, certainly, he would always grab some longer skis if he could (when someone else is paying) though normally on powder days he'll go straight for the snowboard. I think when he did a season a couple of years ago he had some chunking great Dynastar Legend 8000 (does that make sense, I'm no ski guru?) from the hire shop and he quite liked those. He says he finds the Volkl Energy Motion skis "a bit skittish". We've had ours since long before 2005. Probably about 2000. They've not been skied a great deal - they're too long for me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

some chunking great Dynastar Legend 8000 (does that make sense, I'm no ski guru?) from the hire shop and he quite liked those

Well, chunking great is an unusual description for 80mm underfoot all mountain skis lol, but they are great skis. Not as good as the replacement Sultan 85s though, which the OP should definitely look into, as they would be perfect for what you describe.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 4-07-10 16:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
well, what I meant was that they were a fair bit longer and heavier than the Volkls.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, fair enough. I wish mine hadn't broken Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You might want an interpreter, but Energy Motion XTP does Google http://inzerat.i-bazar.cz/carvingove-lyze-volkl-energy-motion-xtp-177-cm/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
You might want an interpreter, but Energy Motion XTP does Google http://inzerat.i-bazar.cz/carvingove-lyze-volkl-energy-motion-xtp-177-cm/

thanks. that tells me they are worth 2,000 Czech kronas second hand, but not what they are like, or how I can make them look super-awesome...

Anyhoo, having got them down from the loft (ready for their extreme makeover), I have learned the following from what is written upon them:

1770 mm length
19.0 m radius
105 mm tip (with "extended tip profile")
65 mm waist
93 mm tail

This seems thin compared to the 2009/2010 range. Is there a gear junkie who has bothered to read this far down my thread to tell me what it all means?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a gear junkie, but I got the distinct impression that the extended tip profile is what the XTP acronym referred to, but you had probably already guessed that - why that should make a difference god only knows Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
Not a gear junkie, but I got the distinct impression that the extended tip profile is what the XTP acronym referred to, but you had probably already guessed that - why that should make a difference god only knows Laughing

I think so, based on googling and translating Swedish, Polish, Czech and French... Not apparent in which dimension the tip has been extended, or why however.
snow report
Fatenbread, what "number" are they? 320? 420? anyway, they're still punter piste skis. Possibly good ones, possibly not.
ski holidays
I think that the "Energy Motion" was the top of the Energy xt range, ie ahead of the 320, 420 etc. They have the woodcore construstion with a titanium stiffener (again, according to what is written on them). Could be wrong however.
snow conditions
pam w has mentioned them before:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57691

and milkshakelad:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3827
snow conditions
The shape is a typical piste ski shape of 5 or so years ago - now I'd guess Volkl have widened the tips and tails by 8-10mm or so and added a few mm in the waist. But so what? If you really have a problem with them you'll know, if you just "want" some new skis why not go demo some at a snowdome or in resort?
ski holidays
altis, and that's helpful how exactly?

Fatenbread, no, there were a bunch of them. The number is important.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

I know what you are getting at - my wife has the "energy xt 320"'s of a similar vintage. However there are no markings at all on the ski other than "Energy Motion", "XTP" (which is on all extended tip Volkls) and "energy xt" which is the ski range. All original markings are still on the skis.

Volkl don't always use a consistent numbering protocol within a range - Current Unlimited range goes AC20, AC30 AC50, Grizzly. I know that "motion" is also the name of the Marker binding system that attaches to rails on the tops of the skis (which both my skis and my wife's have), but it appears as if this is the only name of this model.
ski holidays
Fatenbread wrote:
under a new name wrote:

I know what you are getting at - my wife has the "energy xt 320"'s of a similar vintage. However there are no markings at all on the ski other than "Energy Motion", "XTP" (which is on all extended tip Volkls) and "energy xt" which is the ski range. All original markings are still on the skis.

Volkl don't always use a consistent numbering protocol within a range - Current Unlimited range goes AC20, AC30 AC50, Grizzly. I know that "motion" is also the name of the Marker binding system that attaches to rails on the tops of the skis (which both my skis and my wife's have), but it appears as if this is the only name of this model.

I've also found a review site with the full Volkl range for 2001 - 2010, and it's not there! Maybe Snow and Rock have a sideline selling Taiwanese fakes in their end of season sales Very Happy .
ski holidays
Fatenbread, your answer here is to rent some newer skis for a day next season and see what you think. If you're worried about that eating into 'normal' skiing time then think about an extra early season long weekend... snowHead

If you don't want to read up on what you should be looking for, ask the shop for an agressive ski that's around 70% piste-focused (make sure they think you're a decent skier, or they might fob you off with some crap). Failing that, ask for some Dynastar Sultan 85s or Volkl Grizzly (others are bound to suggest some others you could try).

If you find they feel massively different then start trying to work out which pair you like. If not, then feel warm and fuzzy about having saved £500 wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy