Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

January 4-dayers?

Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed because of where Christmas falls this winter the TOs are offering 4-day ski hols in early January at half the price of a normal week-long trip. If the schools have gone back by then, this might even be feasible for me. What's the deal? Is it the same as a normal week holiday but with 3 days skiing instead of 6? Is it worth all that travelling for 3 days of skiing (guess I can answer that already!). It might be extremely tempting if there are some last minute deals to be had then too.

As ever, still looking for ways to go skiing more than once next season (already going to Kitz for a week in March). Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4 days is a really good length for a ski trip if you don't use any holiday days for travel
i guess that the downside of using a TO is that you likely have 2 full days of airports and coaches and no skiing and that creates too high a ratio of travel time to skiing for me but i guess it depends on what else you will be doing with your precious holiday days later in the year
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll have to use holiday days I'm sure. I work 6 days a week after all. Plus I only ever do TO, not the DIY route. But I'm liking the idea of a nice short extra ski trip if the funds allow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia , which TOs? Presumably the big boys (TUI group) or are the smaller companies doing the same thing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tiger2, I've only really looked at the big four, most of the other TOs don't offer much in the way of regional departures. However, with the peculiarities of Christmas this winter, it's feasible that most might be doing something like this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia,
What Arno says:
4 days is a great way to take ski hols but with a TO, a lot of that will be eaten up by logistics....
You're better off DIY in that case..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler said
Quote:

4 days is a great way to take ski hols but with a TO, a lot of that will be eaten up by logistics....

Not if you treat then as a cheap carrier rather than your mother. Flights + accomodation for a couple of hundred quid is a good deal. Make sure you go somewhere with a short transfer or book your own and Bob's your father's brother.

IMHO a late flight out and ski on the homeward bound day (being transferred back out of resort at 15.30/16.00 ish) is always better than an early flight expecting to ski on the first day. With the latter not only are you tired after having been up since 3am, I always stress about flight/transfer delays etc eating into my ski time. With the former, if you arrive late at night in resort (due to delays) it doesn't matter - you still wake up feeling good for the first lift in the morning and you get a good 6 hours skiing on the last day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tiger2, true, if your TO actually does flights late in the day. what I meant in my first post is that if I organised myself, I can get the last flight to GVA after a full day in the office, ski 4 days then come back on the late flight from GVA after a full day on the slopes. the holiday days i take are all for skiing, none for travelling

i'll admit that there are cheaper and more stress free ways of doing a bit of skiing but you can't beat it for maximum skiing pleasure with minimum days of annual leave taken

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-07-10 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, DIY would not save me any time or money, I'm sure of that, I've looked into it before. I reckon a last minute TO deal will be my best bet. Plus trying to persuade my friend that she wants to come with me and share a room. I'd even go somewhere beginner-friendly (Arinsal, Rauris, Niederau, Passo Tonale?) especially for her. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4th Jan is the departure date which is a Tuesday. The TO flights seem to be early morning departures which means being in resort by dinnertime and on the slopes in the afternoon. Then 3 full days skiing, back home on Saturday. So I would need to work Monday 3rd, then take the rest of the week off. Could possibly work the Saturday afternoon depending on what time I get back. It has potential as long as the schools go back that week. And there's any snow of course. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Which days would TOs be doing 4-day breaks? I'd have thought they'll do Sun-Sun for the Christmas & NewYr weeks (transfer days being 26th / 2nd), and 1st week of Jan becomes 1 day shorter than usual, with a Sun-Sat changeover? (or for those that do Sun-Sun changeovers normally, then it's a normal week for every week, with no special Christmas/NewYr arrangememts).

I'll probably be squeezing in a few 2-day ski trips, with no days taken as annual leave.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy, TUI seem to be doing 4th Jan for 4 nights or sometimes 3rd Jan for 5 nights but only for their Saturday departure destinations. The Sunday departures seem as normal. Ditto Neilson and Inghams.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As above DIY 4 dayers great - minimum of 3.5 day's skiing more than enough to burn yourself out. Definitely save time if not money. As above TO more dubious unless they are specifically guaranteeing you skiing on arrival/departure day.

If you want to go to Andorra - late evening easyjet flight out to Barcelona, hire car, stop in a moderate hotel en route, Andorra in am raring to go. 3.5 dyas skiing, drive back to Barcelona. Evening flight home Simples.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia,
Quote:

So I would need to work Monday 3rd

Monday 3rd January is a bank holiday - or does that not make any difference to the work that you do?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski, I normally work 4 out of 8 bank holidays.

fatbob, didn't mean this to turn into a DIY versus TO thread, but DIY does not appeal to me at all and does not make financial sense. I'd forgotten that Andorra is a Sunday changeover day so that option is probably not possible. Italy or Austria for me usually, France is over budget.
latest report
queen bodecia, Loud & clear. Not sure I get the point of a Tues-Sat TO holiday though - you still miss 5 days of work (assuming your second job is a Saturday)& only get 3 days skiing.
snow report
fatbob, the point is for me that I might swing 4 days off from job number 1 rather than a week off.
ski holidays
Not to mention the cost seems to be pretty much half of a week's holiday.
ski holidays
One of the best bargains we ever had was in January 2006. New years eve fell on a Changeover Saturday which was obviously an unpopular day to travel out. I can't remember if we booked on the Thursday or just the day before but we had a whole week in Tignes for just over £200 each - all travel and half-board included!

I can't remember the TO but the 'chalet' was well weird. It was on the ground floor of a tower block and the doors of the wardrobe fell off as soon as we touched them. But the chalet host was great and the location good; right in the centre of Tignes.

The best bit was the fireworks outside the Maison de Tignes at the stroke of midnight. We just stood there along with thousands of others, tired and emotional with fireworks going off all around us and listening to 'Move On Up' (used on Bend It Like Beckham) on the sound system.
latest report
queen bodecia, I think this is a great idea for you, I have been looking at them too and agree there are some good deals. I think you could even wait til last minute on this and get a real bargain. We might look for one or do Sun-Sun that week as only 3 days off school rather than a full week, bank up the full week off for later wink
ski holidays
I'd agree with sarah - booking late also helps with the snow equation. Doing it for half the price of a normal trip makes it a good buy, whereas normally short trips are not very cost-effective. As for the travelling, people do make heavy weather of it. With just a couple of adult friends, take a couple of good books, and chill. Aim to get pass and gear sorted on your first day but don't fret if things get delayed and you can't ski.

For a beginner, ski school might present difficulties, though it should be low season for private lessons.

I think a short trip immediately after the extended grot of Christmas and New Year sounds terrific!
ski holidays
sarah, pam w, thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. And a potential way for me to have two ski trips. I could book the time off work then wait until the last minute to book too. After all, I already have one trip booked so it wouldn't be the end of everything if I didn't find anything when the time comes.

Now how to persuade my friend? LOL! Laughing
snow report
Any day arrival short breaks in Tignes and Les Coches throughout season, and special dates for xmas too...here's the Coches prices, Tignes will be uploaded in the next few days:

www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-melezes-and-mazot/availability
snow report
Joanne Mountainsun, and I was just about to suggest that queen bodecia had a look at your deals !!

queen bodecia I think early morning flights are a must, so any deal that has early morning flights out should be fine with a TO, or alternatively split it with an 'all in' transfer/accom/food deal and organise your own flight - not quite DIY as such.
snow report
Thanks Joanne Mountainsun. To be honest, I probably wouldn't be thinking of France and I don't really want to organise my own flights, I like everything done for me, lol! But I'll see what availability is like when the time comes and try to keep my options open.
snow report
queen bodecia,

I wasn't making a point about financial cost, merely about how time is used.

From a personal point of view both time off (only get 20 days off a year and am the only skier/boarder in the family)) and money are precious. In the trip you suggest, you're off for 5 days and ski 3 days (maybe 3 and a bit if time and ski pass allow). Not the best use of resources in my view.

I don't have any issue with TOs and if their timings were suitable for me I'd have no quarms using them. I have no doubt they can provide a cheap deal.

But I stand by my view that a long week-end is best served by DIY. In January I flew to Munich just after work on a Wednesday evening, arrived in Kitzbuhel by late evening, followed by 4 full days on the snow, flying back on the Sunday (9.30pm flight).
That's only 2 days off work.
The flight was £96 with easyjet (including snowboard carriage at £37), 4 nights B&B was £190, Transfer was shared, about £60pp. Not the cheapest way to do things I agree, but the best way to make the most out of your week-end/short break.

If your budget only allows you the TO option and you can afford the time off then obviously it's great too have that option and I'm not knocking it down. Just saying it's worth having a look at DIY in that particular case..
ski holidays
queen bodecia,

Easyjet - Gatwick - Innsbruck (I don't know where you'd prefer to fly from), leaving early morning (6:55am), return late afternoon (3:50pm) = £107 (inc skis and baggage) return (4-7 Jan)

Hotel Ibis Innsbruck (3*, Innsbruck city centre) = £71 per night BETWEEN TWO - so £105 each for 3 nights

3 day Lift pass (multiple resorts around Innsbruck - Igls, Axamer Lizum, etc) = 102euro = £84 (according to google)

Free ski bus between resorts (15 mins or so to Igls, and not usually very busy), short, direct and cheap bus transfer from airport to city centre (10 minutes)

Total = just under £286, 2 full days and 2 half days skiing. Actually, that's probably about the same as the TO deals?

Alternatively, theres lots of hotel/lift pass combos (in the resorts) or ridiculously cheap city centre B&B/lift pass combos here: http://www.ski-innsbruck.at/
snow report
Kruisler, DIY doesn't appeal to me for many reasons but the main one is transfers. Any potential cost saving is completely lost when trying to sort a DIY transfer for one or possibly two people. Paying for and driving a hire car by myself doesn't appeal, nor does lugging my gear on and off of public buses and trains. I just want to get off a plane onto a coach that stops right outside my hotel. I'm happy to pay for that convenience. My other issue is being stuck high and dry by myself somewhere if anything goes wrong. I like the fact that a TO looks after me, has a duty to get me home, and there's always someone on hand if I need them. I totally understand why some people like organising everything for themselves and feel happy to potentially save a few quid by doing so, but it's not for me.

I also think the choice of budget flights from regional airports here would make something like you're suggesting quite unlikely for me. But anyway, I appreciate the suggestions.

clarky999, Innsbruck is a good plan but I wouldn't ever want to fly from Gatwick, plus I'd only ever seek a TO deal, but already the brochure prices are quite attractive and who knows these might get cheaper still nearer the time. Axamer Lizum looks like a possibility, that's near to Innsbruck and says it's beginner-friendly?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, qb lives Derby/Notts according to her details so Gatwick is probably not an option. However, the prices look reasonable so the point is valid.

queen bodecia, for a 4 day break you'd really want to be no more than 2hrs from resort and if you are discounting France then you are looking at Swiss resorts from Geneva or Austrian ones from Innsbruck or Salzburg. If you can get DIY flights from your local airport then clarky999's suggestions look ideal. The problem I found was that my local airport (LPL) only did weekly flights to Innsbruck. I'd be surprised if TOs are able to offer skiing on day of arrival and day of departure nor would I expect the cost to be much cheaper than a full week
ski holidays
halfhand, Innsbruck or Salzburg look best although there are a few Italian options from Turin too. France is just that bit more expensive and hotel accommodation so much rarer. Easyjet don't fly from East Midlands any more so it's only BMI Baby or Ryanair, which would work out a lot more expensive than a TO trip, when adding luggage, DIY transfers, etc.

I've just priced up a TO trip to Rauris for £308 each including flights, half board hotel, transfers, 3 day lift passes, ski carriage for me and equipment hire for my friend. I know it's a very small ski area but it's only for 3 days and would be ideal for my beginner friend.

However, I'm prepared to wait and book late for a potentially better deal.

Plus I have to see if my friend actually wants to go. She might still hate skiing after her second attempt at Tamworth this weekend!

Although in fairness I'd still be tempted to go by myself. Very Happy
ski holidays
Or fully inclusive to Axamer Lizum including full board and lessons for my friend for £365 each.

I need to stop looking now, lol! Laughing
snow conditions
It's been awhile since I've been to Axamer (must be around 10 years now!), but my Mum had no problems (and while she's not a beginner, she much prefers beginner slopes), and my school took a load of people there once, lot's of them beginners. From what I remember of my trip, there were some nice long runs, and the ski school was good. It's around a 30 minute (free) bus ride from Innsbruck city centre. It's not (or wasn't) a resort as such though, I think it only had one hotel 'on site,' we (and, I think, most people) stay in Gotzens, which is again another short (10 min?) free bus ride from the slopes. There was an ace little tee-pee (sp?) style apres bar at the bottom too.

A lot of the Innsbruck locals seem to go there (I didn't last season as it wasn't on my gf's student lift pass), and it was (when last I was there) pretty un-British.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Good on yer. Sounds a bargain. Deffo consider going even if your friend backs down. Very Happy
ski holidays
I do 4 days every year and love it... 3 long long days but all good Smile

Have done Avoriaz, St Johann, Saalbach and Morzine for 4 day trips all minimising travel... and maximising slope time and jager time Smile
ski holidays
To be honest the time off work isn't the biggest issue for me. I get 3 weeks and 9 days from April to March. In theory the 3 weeks should be spaced in four month blocks, but since Jan-March are our slowest months at work, there wouldn't be a problem with taking both my other weeks then (I've just had my summer week this week). I don't think I've ever used up all 9 days.

My only real issue is cost. Saving up the thousand pounds I need to go skiing each year is hard work, but I have managed it for the last three years and last year I managed to save an extra few hundred quid for skis, boots and new gear. So based on that theory I should be able to afford a second short break ski trip! Watch this space! Very Happy
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
4th Jan is the departure date which is a Tuesday. The TO flights seem to be early morning departures which means being in resort by dinnertime and on the slopes in the afternoon. Then 3 full days skiing, back home on Saturday. So I would need to work Monday 3rd, then take the rest of the week off. Could possibly work the Saturday afternoon depending on what time I get back. It has potential as long as the schools go back that week. And there's any snow of course. Very Happy

I wouldn't read too much into the early morning departures right now, they may change, my flight to Innsbruck for next year was originally put down as departing at 0700 it will now be 1430 so I won't be arriving in Galtur until 8-9pm at best.
snow report
Hmm, since Crystal are doing a nice BOGOF lift pass offer at the moment, we are tempted to book now (and yes, I have managed to persuade my friend, she did very well on her learn to ski in a day thing at Tamworth and has already booked her next lesson!).

I've found a few options all under £400 including flights, transfers, accommodation & lift passes, what would you choose?

Rauris, Austria, 4 nights, 3 (and possibly a half) ski days, 4 star half board hotel with pool. Pros: nice hotel, beginner-friendly resort, flying from East Mids. Cons: low resort, snow might be iffy, hotel a bus ride from lifts.
Scheffau, Austria, 4 nights, 3 (and possibly a half) ski days, 3 star half board hotel. Pros: bigger ski area, flying from East Mids. Cons: low resort, snow might be iffy, hotel a bus ride from lifts.
Passo Tonale, Italy, 5 nights, 4 (and possibly a half) ski days, 3 star half board hotel. Pros: decent ski area, high resort, I have been before. Cons: resort village a bit soulless, flying from Manchester.
Val Di Fassa, Italy, 5 nights, 4 (and possibly a half) ski days, 3 star half board hotel. Pros: large ski area but don't know much about it. Cons: flying from Manchester, need to use ski bus to get around.

There are a couple of options in France that have come in under budget, but involve either self-catering (which will probably work out more expensive in the long run) or a catered chalet in Les Deux Alpes (not sure about resort suitability for a beginner nor do I like catered chalets as a rule). However, equipment hire is a lot more expensive in France for some reason.

Opinions anyone?
latest report
Quote:

equipment hire is a lot more expensive in France for some reason.

not if you use something like www.snowrental.net (no affiliation, BTW)
snow conditions
queen bodecia, I wouldn't necessarily rule LDA out for beginners. There are several nursery slopes, some free, at resort level. Good slopes to advance to at Les Cretes and higher up.
snow report
Quote:

Val Di Fassa, Italy, 5 nights, 4 (and possibly a half) ski days, 3 star half board hotel. Pros: large ski area but don't know much about it. Cons: flying from Manchester, need to use ski bus to get around.

where in Val di Fassa? Ski Bus not a massive issue. sH Birthday Bash snowHead was there last yr (and next valley over this yr), so plenty of hints can be given if required.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy