Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard gear to do me next season ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just accepted a job in Val Thorens next season and could do with some new gear.
Anyone got experience of Burton's Mayhem 159 wide and flow 5 bindings ?

Any suggestions on a new set of boots would be great too as my ones are in bits. Anything in size 12+, without laces.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-06-10 20:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gav88, you might do better posting in the snowboarding section, or at least altering the title of your thread to make it clear that it's snowboarding gear you're after. Have a great season! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For snowboarding I reckon you'll wreck a pair of soft boots in less than 80 days riding so for a seasonnaire I'd suggest buying in resort from a shop with a no hassle reputation for warranties. Flows of course = the ghey wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cool well if not flow any ideas on a good sturdy alloy pair ? my plastic ones never last
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry just a standard snowboard joke - I've snapped all pairs of plastic and metal bindings I've had eventually so can't really recommend anything specific.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gav88, have a look at Bent Metal, not tried them myself but know people who swear by them, and ran with them for 5+ seasons. All injection moulded aluminium. With you on the no laces bit - boa all the way for me, though make sure you carry spare wire and know how to thread them before you're trying to rebuild your boot buried in 4 feet of fresh snowHead . Have a look at the Boas from ThirtyTwo, they're firmer than Vans range, if that suits your purpose.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that, I'll look into them. want to order new gear prob from snow and rock before their sale runs out, they offered me even more discount on what's listed on their site and I'm very tempted.

I'm anti laces because of my current LTD boots, first they cut the hand off you trying to pull them tight, then again 3 to 4 more times a day re tightening them (I know everyone is going to say put on your gloves while doing this but I cant tie a good tight knot), THey take ages to get on and off, then the buckles eat at the laces and they fray and need replacing, and the locking ratchet part of the lace on the foot is a nightmare to adjust and tighten. So as a result I think I want simple pull or twist style ones.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you could try Salamon malamutes or f22s
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
malamutes seem to have great reviews so its them with a 159wide burton mayhem now all I'm missing is a set of bindings that are up to taking a season of battering ???
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
For snowboarding I reckon you'll wreck a pair of soft boots in less than 80 days riding

Meh I bought my boots in 1999, true they only got through last season with the addition of a lot of araldite and duck tape but they've out lasted two boards and two sets of bindings.

wrt Flow you are, of course, correct wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly, Seriously - you've never cracked the spines on them? Clearly not Burton, Salomon or Head then from my experience. Got through 3 pairs of Malmutes under warranty in 2 years a while back though arguably I do put more force through them than the average punter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, for sure they were (or are as I still haven't dumped them Laughing ) Dee Luxe which are made by Raichle, as far as board boots go I think they're much more well known for hard boots but I've got a pair of their mountaineering boots that I wear for ice climbing and they seem pretty solid too. It was actually the stitching that failed and the upper has begun to come away from the soles on both boots, mainly at the heel but also at the toes a bit. I'm not a fan of burton in general but norris had some of their boots that have vibram soles and also a reinforced toe box to make kicking steps easier, they seem like a good idea but I don't think they'd fit me as they are quite wide. Looks like the end of my seasons for a little while so I might just break out the araldite and gaffer tape again.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gav88, It is worth considering the type of riding you will be doing on this upcoming season. Many riders end up buying new kit once there as the gear they took with them wasn't 'good enough' for their riding style.

In my opinion Salomon Board boots fit GREAT and far out weigh the ridability and Control when your gunning it compared to say, DC boots i have tried. But with regards to build quality.. only time will tell!

Binding wise i would seriously look at getting Some Union bindings. Maybe the Force or contact if you want a softer flexing freestyle binding?

Union are pretty much known as bomb proof. Extruded Aluminium heel cup (some models 'force SL' etc are even CNC cut) much stronger and lighter than standard, Magnesium buckles (rate them over aluminium for there cold temperature working propertys and strength in general). Plus they focus a lot of their attention on making sure base plate contact (flat spots) with the snowboard are kept to a minimum. This will improve the flex of which ever board you choose! This surface area technology by the way is something a certain company starting with B and ending with N are focussing a lot of attention on this coming season NehNeh

I know of a great shop that has some PURPLE Union Superpros (Ltd mix of Force and Force SL) Neh Neh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy_snow_web wrote:
Gav88, It is worth considering the type of riding you will be doing on this upcoming season. Many riders end up buying new kit once there as the gear they took with them wasn't 'good enough' for their riding style.

In my opinion Salomon Board boots fit GREAT and far out weigh the ridability and Control when your gunning it compared to say, DC boots i have tried. But with regards to build quality.. only time will tell!

Binding wise i would seriously look at getting Some Union bindings. Maybe the Force or contact if you want a softer flexing freestyle binding?

Union are pretty much known as bomb proof. Extruded Aluminium heel cup (some models 'force SL' etc are even CNC cut) much stronger and lighter than standard, Magnesium buckles (rate them over aluminium for there cold temperature working propertys and strength in general). Plus they focus a lot of their attention on making sure base plate contact (flat spots) with the snowboard are kept to a minimum. This will improve the flex of which ever board you choose! This surface area technology by the way is something a certain company starting with B and ending with N are focussing a lot of attention on this coming season NehNeh

I know of a great shop that has some PURPLE Union Superpros (Ltd mix of Force and Force SL) Neh Neh

That's great cheers, well I have a soft, super soft sit up as it is and was looking to go stiffer. My current gear is not over the hill yet (excuse the pun) so I'm hoping to have a 155 soft board a new 159 wide stiff board, soft flex bindings, new stiff bindings, well worn soft boots and again new stiff ones so I can mix and match or just set up the old gear for the park this season. Plus whatever the tour op gives me ( might even ask for ski's)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy