Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is a "talweg"

Poster: A snowHead
Local resort forecast, and other French forecasts, sometimes mention a "talweg". My huge French dictionary translates this into English as "talweg". Not a lot of help. My rudimentary German can't make sense of it either ("valley away"??). Could someone explain it, please? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From MSN Encarta
Quote:

thal·weg [ tól vèg ] (plural thal·wegs) or tal·weg [ tól vèg ] (plural tal·wegs)
noun
geography line connecting lowest points: a line connecting the lowest points of successive cross sections through a river channel or valley
[Mid-19th century. From German, from obsolete thal “valley” (now Tal ) + weg “path.”]

I'm still none the wiser, so ........
The crests or ridges (Kammwegs) are in red and the talwegs are blue
Quote:

Thalweg is a German word meaning: way of the valley (and Kammweg means "way of the comb literally").
Synonyms of watershed: ridge line (ridge line), watershed (watershed), dorsal, interfluve.

So for the purposes of weather forecasts, I'd guess it simply means at valley bottom. For once a very simple German word rather than a compound. No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. Cool Loads more esoteric stuff here
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it's a trough. A thalweg or talweg is normally a line connecting equal points of height in a valley - but specifically the lowest ones. In a weather forecast, I'd expect it to be a trough. A trough is an elongated area of low pressure that can turn into a more classic low pressure region, but often does not. They can create cloud and rain on their leading edge and if they meet up with other conditions for instability can enhace their effects. That's pretty poor definition on my part, but you get the idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skanky, I reckon you've got it as used in weather forecasting. Of course - a trough. Easy when you know how. Shocked But in physical geography it's not equal points of height - just the lowest points in a series of sections across a valley. Next question, pam w wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-04-05 11:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, yes, sorry. I knew that, but didn't write that. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it's the centre of a low pressure area. The isobars in a depression link points with the same pressure - the innermost isobar links the points with the lowest pressure - hence the literal translation of "valley line". From a forecasting standpoint, it implies that wind speed & direction will be very variable. The high pressure equivalent is a dorsal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
your all wrong, isnt it some kind of monster out of Lord of the Rings?!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MMMMmnnn Puzzled
I'm no met man Julian but from the stuff I unearthed above it seems to be a linear feature in undulating ground or pressure - not a small roughly circular isobar of a conventional low pressure system. I'm happier with skanky's view - but open to correction. tomski01Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Julian T, it could be a applied to a LP as well, but I assumed the "weg" bit meant a trough. I think a depression in German is "Tief" something, high pressure being "Hoch" something. A dorsal I think is a ridge rather than a HP region - though that may be a French/German difference.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found this on meteo.fr

" Un thalweg (ou talweg), encore appelé creux barométrique , est une région dépressionnaire de l' atmosphère prenant à l'horizontale une forme suffisamment allongée pour qu'on puisse y distinguer un axe passant par son centre : la direction de cet axe reste à près uniforme sur les différentes surfaces où est examinée la dépression , c'est-à-dire sur la surface du niveau moyen de la mer et sur les différentes surfaces isobares standards . La forme et la cote des lignes isobares au niveau moyen de la mer ou celles des lignes isohypses sur une surface isobare mettent alors en évidence, sur chaque surface quasi horizontale, une "vallée" qui est le tracé de l'axe du thalweg, rassemblant les points de la dépression où la courbure des lignes isobares ou isohypses est maximale (autour de ces lignes, le vent circule dans le sens inverse des aiguilles d'une montre pour l'hémisphère Nord, dans le sens opposé pour l'hémisphère Sud : on parle de courbure cyclonique ). La configuration topographique inverse d'un thalweg est celle qui est associée aux régions anticycloniques de l'atmosphère et s'appelle une dorsale "

neither my French nor my meteorology are equal to this, but it's obviously a trough (thankyou, skanky), and I suppose that a "dorsale", defined in the final sentence, is what we would call a "ridge".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In German . It means Valley way (line)

In German "Tief" is Deep
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
here is an example of it, in a forecast related to current weather

"Le conflit des masses d'air est impressionnant et la situation en question est exceptionnelle depuis plus de vingt ans, en effet rares sont les talwegs aussi bien alimenté en air froid"

must be jolly deep troughs then
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"The conflict of the masses of air is impressive and the situation in question has been exceptional for more than twenty years, indeed rare are the thalwegs as well fed in cold air"

Is that for twenty years, or in twenty years? What's it a forecast for?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a forecast for the next 72 hours, skanky, to be found at

http://www.infoclimat.fr/bulletins/?bulletin=alpes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dunno then. Can't tell from that my French isn't good enough. It seems to me to be more appropriate for a trough, but as it's probably idiomatic, it could mean a depression.
ski holidays
Actually, yesterday evening a trough moved in from the west overnight and it pretty much stretched from the Uk to Spain, so that may well have been what that report was referring to.
snow conditions
You are all barking up the wrong tree. I am sure that a Talweg is the new VW 4x4. Simply cant understand all this weather speculation on Snowheads. My skiing is over for the season for goodness sake.
snow report
Reading all this it's difficult to know if the tal wegs the dog, or the dog wegs the tal.
snow report
Quote:
a Talweg is the new VW 4x4

Uh-huh, obviously one that can't climb hills.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
skanky wrote:
"The conflict of the masses of air is impressive and the situation in question has been exceptional for more than twenty years, indeed rare are the thalwegs as well fed in cold air"

Is that for twenty years, or in twenty years? What's it a forecast for?

depuis is usually more like since. I think the above translates as an exceptional situation like this hasn't happened for more than 20 years.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
It is a trough, check it out here, 3rd blue table down the page - http://www.franksingleton.clara.net/french.html
latest report
brian, thanks. The problems with automatic translations.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy