Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone ever skied Saas Fee in August

Poster: A snowHead
and is it worth doing?

Ta
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We skied there on the glacier on a Warren Smith course a couple of years ago. With hindsight, the course was not appropriate for our level of skiing at the time. However, whether Saas Fee is worth skiing in August depends on what you are wanting to get out of it. If you are there to improve your skiing, don't mind T-bars and the company of racing teams jostling in the lift queue to make the most of their summer training, then it's probably worth it, especially if you intend to spent part of the day doing other things. If you intend it to be mainly a skiing holiday then I'd personally leave it to the winter. We went for a second time in February the following year and had a great holiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iski wrote:
If you are there to improve your skiing, don't mind T-bars and the company of racing teams jostling in the lift queue to make the most of their summer training, then it's probably worth it, especially if you intend to spent part of the day doing other things. If you intend it to be mainly a skiing holiday then I'd personally leave it to the winter.

Good advice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob/Iski

I am considering taking my son (14) with me on the WS mid August.

We don't mind T-Bars, are there to improve our skiing - dont really fancy getting jostled but generally can give as good as I get.

Can you shed any light on -

What is the extent of the glacier area?

Is there any off piste/bump potential?

Is there any powder potential?

Cheers

Fifespud
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Firstly I would say 14 is a perfectly good age to do a Warren Smith course, my daughter did that course last summer with some friends, she was 15.

I've skied Saas Fee a few odd days in summer and have encountered mega slush to mega powder, and most of the in betweens.
It is very high, you do notice the altitude, but that altitude can mean good powder at times.

The area is not huge, but plenty for a Warren course, which is drills and skills focussed. If you have not been on one of his courses before be aware that it is not "follow me" style at all.

Off piste is an absolute NO! You are on a glacier and off piste could be VERY dangerous.
The WS team always create a bump line for training purposes.

Skiing is done by 1.30 and you have all afternoon to do other things, of which there are plenty in Saas Fee in the summer. I particularly recommend the high ropes course (Especially the final zip line over the gorge) and the dry toboggan thing (do it with no braking at all...takes some nerve but great fun).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp, I was hoping that someone would come along with more experience of snow conditions/terrain on the glacier than I have!

Fifespud, Another vote for the dry toboggan thing Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fifespud, never skied in Saas Fee but rungsp's comments are the same as my experience with a few days of summer skiing in Tignes. To get an idea of conditions are typically like you could read this summer's snow reports by easiski who teaches in Les Deux Alpes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fifespud, if you spend several hours mastering very specific and focussed skills (e.g. skiing with only one ski - boot only on the other foot) you don't need much terrain. wink I spent a whole week on just about one run last June, in L2A. Thankfully our one-footed exercises were done with two skis on! When I did a course in Tignes in November it was the same story. One nice wide blue run, for 3 mornings lessons. For a start that's all we needed - and most of the rest was full of racers.

You don't go summer skiing in search of big terrain. You might get a few inches of fresh snow on the pistes overnight though - a real treat. Being right up on top of the world, skiing, when the valleys below swelter in the sun, surrounded by mountains, is very exhilarating.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is the extent of the glacier area? About 5-7 Runs with a few bits off the side that are accessible (Conditions Dependant) Massive snowpark if you are into that kind of thing with one of the best summer pipes in Europe

Is there any off piste/bump potential? Yes there is a small section that Warren uses for bumps, conditions dependant but there is always variable / bumps on it all summer - Plus you have lots of rut lines to play in when the race teams go home.

Is there any powder potential? - Yep have skied powder there once in the summer they got a substantial dump overnight. Its not grab your snorkel powder but a decent covering and amazing fun.

Village is epic with loads to do in the afternoon. Bob run is awsome as is the Magical Forest trail.

On top of Warren you have the British Freeski camps on out there all summer if the 14 year old is looking for something diffrent. Will be out there for 3 weeks this summer so there will be reports coming back regulary from mid July to August.

PM me if you need anythign specific
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fattes et al. Thanks for all that. I have done Warren at Verbier and know the routine. Suppose I was concerned that there would be one gentleish piste and we would spend a week simply doing static braccage (sp?) turns. I could see my 14 yo getting a little bored with that - not to mention me! Sounds like there will be some bumps and some powder potential and he will definitely enjoy the park if they take us there. I texted one of the less 'aggressive' WS instructors last night to get his view on the course - I am awaiting his response.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another thumbs up for the summer toboggan run - did it with the kids a couple of years ago. Great laugh, just make sure you don't end up going after someone who looks a bit nervous and puts the brakes on for the entire run !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ArseneWengen wrote:
Another thumbs up for the summer toboggan run - did it with the kids a couple of years ago. Great laugh, just make sure you don't end up going after someone who looks a bit nervous and puts the brakes on for the entire run !

That will be me!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud, If the young lad likes the park stick him into this http://www.britishfreeskicamps.com/

I am up for correction here but I think Saas is one of the steeper glaciers along with Tignes which is why it attracts allot of the race squads etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for replies all. Just to clarify, my wife is intermediate and our two young kids are also intermediates. Woudl it be pointless for them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
northernsoulboy, will you sign up for some type of instruction or ski course?
ski holidays
Northernsoulboy - if you mean would the Warren Smith course be pointless for an intermediate - I would say no - some folk turn up having barely been on skis. Although you would probably want to be skiing reds with a degree of control to really start getting something out of it. They split you based on ability - well one run down a 100 yard bit of piste into groups of 8 - so you should be with folks of your own level. It all depends who else turns up. You wouldn't want to be significantly worse than the bulk of poorest group, but a genuine intermediate (such as myself) wouldn't be.
snow report
northernsoulboy, how intermediate are they and how young are your kids? We went up for a look around last year and decided against it with our youngster.

Ed123 went up with his son last summer, see his thread here

Also I recommend the toboggan too and if I could do it with no brakes(well after a few gos Embarassed ) then anyone can Laughing It is brilliant!
latest report
Rob@Rar - I wouldn't bother with any instruction, no.
Fifespud - tbh I was thinking of just taking the kids and wife and bombing round what part of the mountain is open; it would be an add on to our usual skiing, not a 'proper' ski holiday.
Sarah - these are nine (twins) and I would say are cautious. I'll follow the link, ta.
snow conditions
northernsoulboy, The British Freeski camps are ideal, the kids can have a go at the park, but you can also get general freeride coaching if you don't fancy the park. There was a couple who were on my camp and didn't really bother with the park aspect so they ended up with 1:2 coaching and got loads out of it. As everyone says there is loads to do I am heading out this month and not skiing at all.
ski holidays
Quote:

just taking the kids and wife and bombing round what part of the mountain is open

it would probably not be worth the expense and hassle of getting yourselves up there, and having all the gear with you, if that's the plan. I've not done Saas Fee but I've skied in Tignes and Les Deux Alpes in the summer - with lessons. There isn't a huge amount open, and much of it won't be available to you, because of the race training. I wouldn't personally bother with summer skiing with no tuition. When I did the Tignes trip the people we had lessons with had a friend who had decided he was just going to "bomb around" and he got pretty bored, frankly. He wasn't a bad skier, but he had no interest in anything other than getting top to bottom with as few turns as possible and there really wasn't the scope. But a holiday in the mountains in summer is wonderful without any skiing. Like Gsyfreerider I shall be doing precisely that in a couple of weeks.
latest report
Go to Chile.

Put it on your credit card.
latest report
I was in zermatt last august and went skiing with my 9 year old for a morning up on the Klein Matterhorn. The blue runs right at the top were in pretty good shape and we spent an hour or so on them; we had that area virtually to ourslelves. The red runs lower down were very hard packed and crowded with race teams. It was fun for a morning but we and the rest of my family, despite being keen skiers, preferred to spend the rest of our week there walking and mountain biking. I imagine saas fee would be similar to this.
snow conditions
really stupid question - how cold is it at the top in saas fee in august and how many layers will we need? we're booked on a WS course, and are having packing dilemmas what with needing to fit golf gear andmountain biking stuff in the luggage....
ski holidays
k - when I was in Zermatt in August I wore a base layer top, windproof fleece and salopettes. That was about right - I needed them first thing but was too hot at the end. Take the factor 50.
snow conditions
Pack your rucksack tactically with a couple of other layers, I spent first 3 days sweltering and then got high winds and snow last time I went in august. Also drink and take loads if water. When it was really hot I drank 3 litres of water easily. Once you get dehydrated your energy levels will disappear.
snow conditions
northernsoulboy, Will post a report on conditions on Thursday afternoon to let you know what it is like.
snow report
Right Guys have been on the ground in Saas Fee since late on Wed Night, so far so good.

Weather Has been HOT HOT HOT Hight 20's to low 30's in the village and up top although the Glacier is in pretty good condition it could do with a couple of cold days to help it.

Conditions are quite good till 11:30 but after that it is turning soft very quickly and almost impossible to ski on.

Saas Fee Ride has been cancelled for tomorrow but there is some cold weather forcast over the next few days which should hopefully help things along.

Couple of big name skiers and boarders are knocking about the town and then it is the usual mix of Racers, Warren Smith and his crew and various all sorts.

There is a daily blog going up on the Irish association of snow sports instrcutors facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/notes/iasi/saas-fee-rpm-day-1-july-16th-2010/138579592838700#!/IASIsnowsports?ref=ts
ski holidays
k wrote:
really stupid question - how cold is it at the top in saas fee in august and how many layers will we need? we're booked on a WS course, and are having packing dilemmas what with needing to fit golf gear andmountain biking stuff in the luggage....

K - what week are you going?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi guys,

good to see people interested in summer skiing. Just got back from Saas-Fee on Sunday and it's looking good for the summer. A few things to add to whats already been written:
- We managed to talk the Saas-Fee Bergbahnen into allowing us to run a full time area for Moguls with Expert, Advanced and Intermediate moguls (Basically 2 zip lines and 1 variable)
- Our Academy will be operating a GS courses for summer 2011 with our own dedicated lane on the glacier. This will be open to all out clients (Athletes, Instructors + Recreational skiers)
- The snow is Saas-Fee has been good this season with some extra little dumps of snow that other places seemed to miss, check this link out from when I skied there in March,
http://youtube.com/v/oF_-95QHZ58, this was just a random day I had, couldn't believe how much extra they had.
- We will be running our 5 days courses for people who want to develop piste performance, moguls and variables
- We will be running our summer GAP Year Ski Instructor Training program
- We will be running our ISIA Level 3 training program

If anybody has any questions about Saas-Fee please feel free to call me on my UK number, 07775 500599.

Cheers,

Warren
snow conditions
Just back from Saas Fee last night, conditions on the hill are super considering how bad some resorts have faired this season., Will get some pics up later when I am home and a trip report.

From the top down to Morine and Spielboden approx 2,400 is in great condition, below this not as good but still skiable with decent cover but heavy going.

Glacier area used in the summer is in superb conditions with plenty of snow stored up around the glacier for use when required. The park above Morine was in super conditions with tons of features to play on and a really well shaped pipe and kickers.

All in all a great conditions for the second last week in April under any circumstances.

Will be back out there the 1st week of August for my wedding Skullie I will be skiing so shall post a TO when I am out there.
snow conditions
i went up there 2 summers ago , very icy and i can't remember how much the lift pass was for the day , i just remember thinking Shocked may be worth finding out the price , p.s go in the glacier and have a walk round while you're up there Smile
latest report
All I can say is my son and I did the WS course last August. Obviously it gets slushy by early afternoon, but you start early and there were 2 or 3 hours when conditions were excellent. The terrain is slightly limited, compared to Hintertux say, but you don't need miles of pistes on something like Warren's course and from what he is saying above, it sounds like they have more access this Summer.
I have found the course very instructive, and the improvement in my sons skiing (14) was nothing short of remarkable.
Saas Fee is a lovely town, nice restaurants etc.
I'd recommend it.
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:

Will be back out there the 1st week of August for my wedding Skullie I will be skiing so shall post a TO when I am out there.

Fattes13 - we'll be in Saas fee from the Sat 1st Aug (i think) with mrs sev112 and daughter - so i will look out for wedding party Smile Fantastic place to get married
snow report
sev112, Sunday the 1st? Its Swiss national day and my annual celebration of my birth ha ha we will be arriving in that night and if you are around we shall be having lots of celebrations through the week and I am sure i can sneak you into the afters just do the snowHead secret handshake
snow report
Would agree with Iski - if you are doing a course there and working on exercises/coaching/technique or you just want to play on the park (they have a great park up there on the glacier in the Summer - checkout the Grom camps website) and you are a ski junkie who can't survive the summer then it's fine.

But... if you just want a recreational ski it's icy then slushy, skiing time is limited to mornings, the ski area is very limited, it's a 45+minute ride up 2 gondolas and a train and it's all T-bars on the top! The ski area is prone to being closed in any type of poor visibility - which can be frustrating if it's snowed! Winter skiing it certainly isn't!
snow report
Fattes13,

Must be the 31st then - i leave the dates and practicalities to Mrs Sev112 - i just do the packing and driving Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy