Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oops! Bitten by plastic (again)

Poster: A snowHead
Avulsion fracture Left proximal Phalynx, Fracture distal Phalynx and UCL Ligament injury. rolling eyes

basically ive pulled my left thumb back far enouch to break both bones and pull the ligament off the broken middle bit, (how very careless of me Embarassed )

Anyone have any guesses how long I will have to sport my latest fashion acessory?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevindonkleywood, OW!!!!!! Shocked Bad luck, hope you mend soon. (Have never skied on plastic and don't think I ever will, thanks all the same.)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood, nasty, I feel your pain, and it's one reason I haven't skied on plastic since. You got a pot on it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, I was adviseD that if my UCL had been detached it would have required surgery. RVI have a wonderful hand surgeon apparently.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds relatively minor Happy. Friend went for a *big* crash whilst racing at Pontypool two weeks ago: after 5 days in two different hospitals and x-rays and MRI scans, they *still* hadn't worked out quite how much he has broken: last I heard it was wrist, elbow, shoulder, and collarbone - all on the same side. Made it a bit difficult for the hospital to plaster, as they had lots of difficulty supporting his arm on what was left. Ow.

[It was even more impressive than last year's "Crash of the day" -
http://youtube.com/v/MztKCFcWMxQ - but it was too far away for me to get on video this time. ]
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pot on and hopefull ??? as UCL has torn a bone flake off with it so they think it may reattch as the bone flake knits back in.

edit for wrong ligament oops Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-06-10 8:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, LOL im doing it in a slower more controled way Scaphoid first then Ulna now this little prob rolling eyes my a&E loyalty card only needs 2 more stamps before i get the brain scan which is probably what i really need Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW, bloody hell, do you guys do this sort of thing for FUN?! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, brutal isn't it, and to think this was recommended to us before we went to the Alps for our first ever skiing holiday Shocked . The UCL injury and Bennet's fracture meant I nearly had to miss the whole trip .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevindonkleywood, in that case I'd say you're looking at 4-6 weeks before you can use the hand properly, if not longer. One recommendation -PHYSIO, private if possible, as you can get more sessions than NHS will offer you, Get some exercise putty or a spring thingy to strengthen up your grip afterwards.
I persuaded them to take off the pot, and my father-in-law ordered me a thermoplastic splint. That made it possible to use some ultrasound on the ligament to speed the healing, and was easier for showering etc (not to mention driving and getting a ski glove on, even if it was larger). I made my holiday three weeks later, but couldn't really use the hane properly. I didn't even think about reporting it to our insurers, although I suppose I should have done.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW, enjoyed watching last years COTD , he looked fairly tidy into the first couple but it all started to go horribly wrong on the third, great bit of footage for training though. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevindonkleywood, that does sound rather painful, poor you - I hope you recover prior to the proper snow season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Smile Thanks, Im just hoping just that too Very Happy , but not only that has it has healed well by then but that I have not done something worse in the meantime. For now I will stick to the snowflex Smile and fat slow skis and stay off the dendex
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevindonkleywood, Bad luck. I had a few minor versions of your injury gripping the plastic after a fall.
I stick to snow now. It's much kinder on the thumbs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A tip that I came across recently was to sew thumb of ski glove to index finger of ski glove; thus reducing possibility to repeat over-flexion of thumb (need to sure that ski pole fits through gap of course). Talk of the plastic run and Pontypool took me back to a misspent youth - and learning the lesson that falling on your bum at speed melted your tracksters to your back bottom and caused much hilarity Embarassed
snow conditions
Ian Kenvyn, I might just try that with a couple of pairs Smile
latest report
kevindonkleywood, it was the same guy as in COTD.......

There may be an aversion to Pontypool in the future! It's a shame, because he's a really nice lad.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy