Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best mountain restaurant in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
From BobinCH, elsewhere,

Quote:
Chalet Etoile, the best mountain restaurant in the Alps

Now, I haven't been there, but I'm going to suggest a couple that would at least be in the running:

- Our new favourite, "Chiecco", Courmayeur. Just awesome, awesome, awesome - http://www.chiecco.com

- Always worth a visit, and now with a credit crunch menu, "La Terrasse", Les Lindarets (PDS) (which knocked out its next door neighbour, "La Cremaillere" also great if rather more traditional).

- If it's just cheese and potatoes you want, Francois' "patates au reblochon", Chez Nannon, Nyon (PDS) will put a warming furry rug round your arteries in seconds.

Any more?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name, Zum See in Zermatt is my personal favourite.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chalet Etoille in Cervinia Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, hah! I've now seen pictures and see what you and Bob are talking about. A fine display Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

- Our new favourite, "Chiecco", Courmayeur. Just awesome, awesome, awesome - http://www.chiecco.com

your'e right it rocks, definitely one of the favorites Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for the Etoile in Cervinia - along with the Auberge de Christommet in Megève.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Before reading the first post i would have said the one in courmayeur - is this the one half way down a blue run towards serotta? Remember a lovely restaurant in that area.

Another favourite of mine is the one right at the bottom of la rosiere - lovely smell of woodsmoke as you approach, nice hot chocs and waffles.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowymum, Chiecco is just above the gondola base station on the left looking up, next to the drag lift which accesses the trainer slope
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, been to Chiecco. Not in the same league as chalet Etoile for food, ambiance or hot waitresses Very Happy

Zum See and chez Vrony, both in Zermatt are also excellent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everything tastes amazing at 10k feet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Mooserwirt is ace for lunch, before the crouds rock up for apres. The place just before the flat section on the 'smugglers run' from Ischgl to Samnaun is pretty good too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Chalet Etoile, excellent food, service and the only proper on hill toilet in Cervinia Laughing

Other favourites Simi and Findlerhof, both in Zermatt. Zum See for afternoon cakes Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, You haven't lived unless you've experienced the mille feuille at Zum See. Cool Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, Auberge de Christommet is indeed lovely - terrific food and spectacular scenery. While our female guests seem particularly taken with the cuisine, the male guests seem more intent in declaring the place as having the best views in the whole La Gietttaz-Le Jaillet sector... can't think why... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH, wow!

I must go.
ski holidays
Some pics of Chalet Etoile and Zum See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62294

At Chalet Etoile it's even better in Spring when they open up the outside terrace....

And for when the weather's bad the view inside isn't bad either Toofy Grin (Pinched this from welove2ski)
latest report
Hospiz Alm in St Christoph is pretty special
snow report
geepee wrote:
sarah, You haven't lived unless you've experienced the mille feuille at Zum See. Cool Madeye-Smiley

I've had them! Couldn't remember what they were called, yum yum Laughing
latest report
right at the top of the lift coming out of gressony heading to alagna is a a very old refugio, the guglielmina.... http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com/en/firsthome now that rocks for a spectacular venue with superb food and wine...just they have far too much good wine to want you to ski down safely... you can however stay the night Toofy Grin
latest report
CEM wrote:
right at the top of the lift coming out of gressony heading to alagna is a a very old refugio, the guglielmina.... http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com/en/firsthome now that rocks for a spectacular venue with superb food and wine...just they have far too much good wine to want you to ski down safely... you can however stay the night Toofy Grin

Great location and looks like a cracking place to stay for first crack at any overnight powder! Wasn't overly impressed with the food....

It features here though, along with Chalet Etoile and some other ideas http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/budgettravel/4968216/Affordable-restaurants-in-the-Alps-Where-the-ski-instructors-eat.html
snow report
BobinCH, strange, we had a fantastic lunch there a few years ago.... may have been something to do with who we were with though wink
ski holidays
This thread is making me hungry. Can't contribute much from our area, but La Ferme de Victorine in Notre Dame de Bellecombe does good food and is affordable, though the grumpy proprietor can be a pain.
snow conditions
BobinCH, it is a great location and it is a cracking place to start the morning with (especially now that there's some hot water and they've snow proofed the windows (it's not such a good start to the day waking up to an couple of inches of snow on the floor)). It's also a great place for a Hogmanay party...

NY Eve 2006

The food's OK - traditional stuff, simple but well prepared, the donkey stew is interesting, but the wine list is excellent. You don't go there for the food though.
ski holidays
Belliou la Fume at Pre St Espirit (Les Arcs 1950) holds very good memories for me from the food, setting and ski in point of view, but is a pain to leave on clanky old chairs.
snow conditions
I've eaten well in Deux Lacs in VT and of course anything in VT holds special memories for me, even though it is probably by no means the best that exists. The nicest food and most glorious settings I've so far enjoyed in a mountain restaurant was the Carlina in Belle Plagne - it wasn't cheap though. Don't forget that as a self caterer on holiday I don't have much to base those recommendations on though.
ski holidays
Life doesn't get much better than eating a Plat-du-Jour washed down with Rose on the terrace of the Bel Air in Courchevel, it might not be the finest dining but the package is something I look forward to returning to
ski holidays
I found a couple of photos taken at the Carlina - happy memories Very Happy

(I've done them as images in the thread as I reduced the file size prior to upload - hope they are not too big)

BTW we didn't request the Heinz - it was on the tables by default Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 25-06-10 13:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
boabski wrote:

Seconded.

Actually the most enjoyable lunch I've had on the mountain was in Westendorf. I can't remember exactly where the place was, but it was on the way to the snowpark from the main area. Tiny little hut, like a shed. Rough, unsanded wooden benches and tables. Run by one old local lady, who cooks and serves. Only bottled drinks, no taps. The BEST homemade gulashsuppe (mit Brot) I've ever had the fortune to eat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think my favourite is in Courmayeur also. Not Chiecco 'cos I've never been there, I think it's called Le Vieux Grenier and the onion soup is to die for. Very Happy
latest report
I wonder how many of us are having to look up old records, internet sites, piste maps and old threads to find the names Laughing I had to. I find unless you do somewhere lots of times you retain the name for a very short time, if at all. I tend to think there is a restaurant I'll stop to eat. I'd put the Carlina in our Les Arcs thread, so I knew I could find it.
ski holidays
Megamum, I agree. This is how I found my favourite on the internet:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/729630/Courmayeur-An-eggnog-followed-by-lunch-to-ski-for.html
snow report
Megamum wrote:

BTW we didn't request the Heinz - it was on the tables by default Laughing

Hmmmmmm.....I don't see any on any of the other tables Very Happy
snow report
Not a foodie generally.... with that in mind... Chalet Togna (sp?) above Mottaret was serving really excellent food last year.
latest report
geepee wrote:

It's actually called a Napoleon. They have a world championship for making it every year. I believe that the Zum See Patisierre won it a couple of years ago.

Chalet Etoile is fabulous, so is Chez Vrony, Blatten also a favourite, but IMHO Zum See knocks them all for six. We've spent some serious money in there on occassion.
snow report
Kramer, the Mediterranean fish soup, followed by Osso Bucco (or on a Sunny Spring day - buffalo mozzarella followed by Beef carpaccio) and rounded off with the home made Tiramisu, washed down with a few bottles of Chianti, an Espresso and a Grappa, served by a charming, beautiful waitress. Life doesn't get better than this!
The Swiss can beat the Italians at many things but not food and wine (and the Swedish win hands down for the waitresses!)
snow conditions
I have three votes:

As the title just says "mountain restaurant in the Alps", there is a clear winner: Café des Alpes in Orsières. Anyone in the Valais should eat there at least once in their lives. (Not a mountain restaurant in terms of being in a ski area)

My second vote would be for La Croix Blanche, Etroubles. You can ski to this one, skiing out not so easy Wink If you ski from Switzerland to Italy from Super St Bernard, this is where you stop for a late lunch before getting the bus back to Switzerland.

My last vote is for the lodge at Whitewater. Not the most aesthetic mountain restaurant, although it is very nice. The food is superb - nearly all organic, a huge variety including options for veggies and vegans. Daily specials, self service or table service. Doesn't break the bank. They have two beautiful cookbooks available to buy that have some of their more famous dishes in.
latest report
Mcdonalds, main street Zermatt, dont be fooled with the gastro hype of the mountain take away shops.
snow report
parlor, well, if we're extending to restaurants in mountains not needing to ski to...

sans doute, "Le Sapin" in Champoluc serves one of the best tagliata in the world.

Le Bistrot in Chamonix used to be out of this world. It may still be.

BobinCH, hmmm, you're not selling me on it. I can prep cheese and raw meat very happily at home...I'm still with Chiecco, even though I will concede that the ambiance is a little "special". I would find roast suckling pig an entertaining challenge to cook myself. (I'm using the criteria that I prefer restaurants where I can't so easily cook the food myself, to those where I (or TOH) can).

I do not, I confess, have a cadre of smiling Swedish hostesses to serve it to me however, so that still gets you points...
snow report
boabski wrote:

I presume your referring to "a la Carte" and not the mass production rip off McHospiz menu?

Having said that the overriding best menu on offer in that joint is the Wine list Very Happy
ski holidays
Another vote for the Hospitz Alm. Supposed to be even better in the evenings, but only being a seasonnaire I couldn't afford to sample it then!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy