Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations of in resort child care

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to find alternative arrangements in regard to child care.
Normally we go with esprit as the childcare is excellent but this year we are running into a few difficulties. Namely my son and daughter are going to be in separate child care and their lessons alternate between morning and afternoons so they will be apart all day.

Of course all the adverts tell you that there are so many kids they will have a great time but basically my daughter did not enjoy it last year. She was on her own with other kids but did not enjoy the ski lessons and became really clingy towards the end of the week and it made it really hard for her mother. She was just under 4 last year and next year will be just under 5. She actually cried her eyes out the last two days when we left her.

My wife is absolutely adamant that she is not prepared to go on a holiday that my daughter will not enjoy but the problem is that the group we are going with does not have any kids within her age group. When we started to discuss skiing the other day she burst into tears and said she didn’t want to go and hated it. Not a good starting point really.

My 6 year old son was with his mate all day and loved it and he will be 7 next year but esprit say it is absolutely not possible in any way to put them together.

I am now trying to find an alternative but as esprit offer such good deals (free kids etc) we can not find anything close to it price wise and as a couple of our friends are as tight as a gnats whatsit they are not prepared to go with Mark Warner or someone else like that.

I am looking into renting an apartment and making my own way and organising my own childcare but again it is like a black art trying to find the right child care. I am very nervous about dropping them off in some huge French speaking playground with 1000 kids.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a really good child care outfit in the three valleys or val disere or somewhere where they will take both kids together and potentially a three year old as well. I want them to have fun, learn to ski and be in a friendly environment and not feel abandoned.

Thanks for help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mheadbee, We used to use Esprit but with 3 kids we found it cheaper to buy a place. We bought in Les Arcs but still use a nanny from Val at Safehands. Just booked with her for next year and you would be shocked how easy and cost effective it is to book a private nanny. Used them 3 times now, the kids love them and service is great. Her main base is in Peisey in Les Arcs but we don't need the nanny till 9.30am ish so they can ski over (we are in Arc 2000) and they have lessons from 1.30pm so the nanny gets to ski the afternoon. She only covers Les Arcs but life's a bitch if you 'have' to going skiing in Les Arcs to keep the kids happy.

There are better and cheaper options than Esprit, though in fairness the time we did use them they were brilliant.

http://www.safehandsfrance.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want a combination of lessons and well run creche I think Snow Bizz in Puy St Vincent are the best option and are very good value compared with other child friendly companies. The children's lessons are all in the morning and there is a creche option in the afternoon (you don't have to use every day) and evening club/babysitting option too. We went with them when our children were 3 and 6 and had a brilliant holiday. Both children skied in the morning and did the creche together some afternoons. The accommodation is fine but not luxury - advantage is that it is metres from shops and chair lift. Resort good enough - not my favourite but worth going to at least once for the snow bizz experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mheadbee wrote:

I want them to have fun, learn to ski and be in a friendly environment and not feel abandoned.

You may well consider that my reply is of no use to you but have you considered ski school/private lessons in the mornings followed by the afternoons skiing together? Works well for lots of people.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the suggestions, i will certainly look into all of them.

The problem with private lessons is that it can all start to get very expensive, the great thing about esprit is that you get first child free and second 30% off in a full catered chalet, most other companies give you a token £50-100 off per child so you wind up spend another £2000 on the holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mheadbee, sorry to hear of your difficulties with Esprit, we have not been able to use them despite having wanted to because of their inflexibility, in our case they couldn't accommodate an already skiing 4 year old, wanted to put him in a garden.

snowymum, is right about Snowbizz and I second her suggestion! They will be cheaper than Esprit almost certainly. Your kids will be in seperate skiing groups I think (this may be negotiable if it is important to you) but at the same times and then would come together afterwards in the creche if you want afternoons covered too. They also have an evening kiddie club for 2 hours each night which is great. The ski school is their own and the lessons are exclusiveley for their clients. It is a very good set up indeed. Also it is a family run small firm and you can very easily phone and have a chat with them, mentioning your needs and worries, and you will probably find it very reassuring. Can't speak highly enough of them in terms of personal attention and childcare. Small resort but nice feel, good snow and good weather record. Best of luck with it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good to know I'm not the only one who has found Esprit too inflexible to use. I was very keen to go with them a few years ago but the reason we've never used them is that you have to take their charter flights/coach transfers and we didn't want to. I think its odd that they don't mind missing out on those customers who want to fly scheduled, drive or use the direct Eurostar ski train and it has put me off them as a company. I was also put off by their extras like a few pounds per night for an ensuite bathroom.

mheadbee - If you put esprit prices for every aspect of the holiday and snowbizz in a spreadsheet I'd be very surprised if Esprit is cheaper overall (I do a spreadsheet for each skiing holiday and include accommodation, food estimate, travel, lift pass, ski lessons, ski hire).
Many of the resorts Esprit use are better known ones with more expensive lift pass prices, ski schools.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowymum, I can understand the bit about travel , they will have the number of beds very closely matched to the number of flight seats, so they can lose out if they sell one without the other.

Totally agree though about their ridiculous charging structure of supplements for this that and the other, drove me mental Evil or Very Mad I really think it is not possible to book any room anywhere with them which doesn't have a supplement for something Laughing Other operators manage to have a pretty fixed inclusive price with only obvious stuff as supplements but not Esprit. My final straw came with them when they wanted to charge me a very hefty underoccupancy supplement because I had only one child sleeping on a sofa bed when they could have put two on it Laughing This was on a summer holiday booking with them, I told them we would be happy to take the holiday but no way were we paying that supplement, if they could have given us a room for 3 we would have taken it but they couldn't and to have to pay for only one 'space' being used up on a sofa bed I found ridiculous Laughing They did waive it. We went and had a really excellent summer holiday with them, their product is certainly very good it's just the inflexibility in the booking process I find frustrating. I had a thread on Esprit ridiculous supplements a while ago.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mheadbee, You could look at Venture Ski in St Foy, I know their child care is very good, they are a bit more money than Esprit, however when you look at the savings on the lift pass this makes up for it. They are quite flexible on all aspects being a notch up from other operators plus the chalets are much better and the food is great.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mheadbee, I feel your pain....and wish I'd appreciated how easy the child free years were!!

2 suggestions:

1. A private nanny for the week in France would be about £550 (perhaps cheaper with the exchange rate) which doesn't compare too badly to £460 for 2 x childcare. Plenty about if you google. Of course only you know whether this would suit your kids.

2. Hang around for a late "Single Parent Saver" deal with Esprit. There are tons, every week every year, so not much of a risk. You and your son could go skiing for under £1000, and you could then use the £1500 you'd save on a full family trip to go on a second holiday (probably not skiing) focussed around the family. (This is the theory I'm trying to swing past my wife this year anyway)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jimihendrix, i like you idea and have gone one better. I have decided to ditch the family ski holiday and go to florida instead for 2 weeks. My wife wanted that and my daughter is delighted. My son is also over the moon at going to disney but part of me feels a bit sad because i know how much he loved skiing an I really wanted him to go again.

However, on the plus side i am going with the lads. i always do a long weekend with the lads, usually 4 days skiing but the indications are i could get a whole week this time round. I still feel guilty about my son, i suggested last minute single parent with esprit to my wife and she responded with "what about my holday then", I said she was getting disney but i realised i could be jeapordising the lads trip from bring a full week if i pushed it. the fact it would be easier for her to have one chld rather than two when i am away does not seem to help!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mheadbee, JimiHendrix,

sounds like the best of both worlds! I used to find that after waiting a little time then dropping into the conversation that its cheaper to do a weeks skiing than a long weekend worked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, I did that 6 years ago when my son was 2 months old. I was trying to go for 3-4 days to join the group and it was "pay for a week and go for 3 days stuff". Eventually she said, just go for a week, and I acted all surprised as if the thought hadn't occured to me, "well, I suppose I could, but I would feel awfully guilty, but if you do insist" I said as i casually pulled my already packed suitcase out from under the bed.

The other tactic of course is that her best mate decided the same day as us to ditch their family ski trip and told her husband (my mate) he could have a week. I have 8 months to work on it so the best thing is just to keep quite and "assume" it was agreed it was a week. It will all come out eventually and i will say, "but everybody else is going for a week, you cant change your mind now"
Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mheadbee, take it your wife is not a snowHead then? wink

Glad to hear you sorted out a holiday, enjoy Disney Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the fact it would be easier for her to have one chld rather than two when i am away does not seem to help!

that's a shame, because I think splitting kids up so that each has 100% of a parent, doing something they can enjoy together, is often much better than shunting them off to expensive "child care". The kids and the spouses all tend to like each other a bit more after a break, too. wink
snow conditions
JimiHendrix wrote:
1. A private nanny for the week in France would be about £550 (perhaps cheaper with the exchange rate)

Paying £320/400 euro for a private nanny next year in France.
latest report
thefatcontroller, all day or half days?
ski holidays
rob@rar, Private nanny for 3 kids from 9.30-1.30pm. It wouldn't have been more for the nanny to stay and collect from ski lessons (kids going private lessons next year but I daren't enter that thread Shocked wink Laughing ) but we like to be fair to the nanny so we have promised we will be back to collect so the nanny can ski from 1.30pm for the afternoon. Happy nanny, happy kids.
latest report
thefatcontroller, is that through Safe Hands?
snow report
rob@rar, Yes.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, thanks, useful info.
latest report
It will sound very biased if I said I'd rather put one of my nuts in vice than swap family skiing for family Florida won't it ... Very Happy
snow report
ctskifam, Amen Cool
snow conditions
ctskifam, I have no nuts, or would concur.
snow report
pam w, Reading some of your exploits I would says you have balls wink Toofy Grin
latest report
What ctskifam didn't say is that Ski Famille may be your answer. We didn't want to go with Esprit last year because our 3 children would have been in 3 different childcare options. Also we didn't want our 5 year old to have to ski everyday as she found it too much. And we didn't think the 3 year old was ready for skiing at all. With Esprit we wouldn't have had any flexibility with ski lessons at all.

Ski Famille offer you in house childcare - all the kids together, and they will take them and pick them up from ski lessons.
We had a fabulous time, kids loved it!
The go to Les Gets and Reberty (3 valleys)
ski holidays
tizzyb, thanks very much, glad you had a great time. I try not to push myself too blatantly ... mostly. To give some balance I used to work in Florida quiet a bit so my bias is not entirely pro family skiing, it's also anti Florida! Works for loads of people I know, just not my cup of tea.
ski holidays
You could try renting an aprtment in Siviez, Switzerland. Its cheap because there is nothing there, but is actualy the best access into the Verbier ski system.
At the bottom of the appartment block is Arc En Ciel, a ski school that pretty much only does children.
They have a creche for those too young, and will teach them upto junior racer level
As an instructor myself, I have always been really impressed by them
Easy to get to from Geneva
Its why british couples with young children have bought so many of the apartments
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What Alan McGregor, said, appts are reasonable too . . . for Switzerland. Arc En Ciel are good apparently, friend regularly drops her two with them for a morning.
latest report
mheadbee, hello!

we have a similar family structure to yours and similar probs. Me ad Mrs Ed- both keen skiers. Boys now 8, 5 and 18 months.

We have gone skiing a lot sk (since kids). This is not easy and compromise is the order of the day if you want snow......

1. Money- it costs a lot.

2. Time skiing- no mater how much you spend you will pay more for less skiing than ever before.

3. Off piste- with kids you just can't go very early- you have to drop off- skiing you (I ) tone it down a lot - I really don't want to get injured whilst on holiday with 3 kids.

4. Kids-if they are going to grow up in a family that goes skiing a lot- then when they are young- for a week, two, may be three a year they are going to be abandoned- for a little while - in a creche. Best English speaking, best with other kids, best with family- but the bottom line for us is that these have not been a given. We love our kids - a lot. Mrs Ed and I get a baby sitter once or twice a year and go out together- actually not at all for the last 18 months....but we do go skiing. Apart from the baby they have all been left- screaming or not in creche at one time or another. But the up side for the older 2 boys is they now ski- and have a great time. Our eldest boy has now 13-15 weeks skiing and skis fast enough......

Suggestions.

A lads trip with your oldest child- we have done this 3 times with last minute Esprit 'single parent saver' type hols. From 5 - this is a great - cheap- dad-son bonding- fun- everyone is happy (except now Mrs Ed who wants to come too). In your circumstances this would be my favoured option- to tide you through your younger child's ambivalence.

As suggested already a private nanny and DIY apartment- the draw back is that what kids like on holiday is- other kids- and this option does not give that. Also you might miss what I think lots of people like on ski holidays 'the crac'

Group holiday with friends who have exactly the same aged kids; private lessons for younger kids, shared private nanny and or shred DIY childcare- this is fine if you have a group of friends who can fill a chalet- an uber organiser and a chalet (in Peisey) run by another friend. We do this it is a good option ....

Bottom line- who decides where you go on holiday?- you or your 4 year old child?... sorry to be harsh. I think your options in the posts above are reasonable- either she goes with you all (in creche)or she skips a year and instead you go with junior. Or I guess the question is do you have any good gear you want to sell?
ski holidays
mheadbee, I have been with Skifamille a few times recently, I am 100% happy with every thing they offer and do, my children ( 3-5) love the nannies, the skiing ,the holidays and the other children in the chalet will probably be in the same ski class. My elder daughter is not the easiest to keep happy , but had a great time and by the end of the week was skiing icy blue runs with me, so the instrctors in Les Gets know what they are doing, I have not used them in the 3V's. Cost is an issue, but there is no easy solution to that, other than rent a chalet with friends and share the child care between you , but how hard would that be , looking out at the piste when it is your shift with the kids?
snow report
we loved snowbizz in puy st vincent, childcare there is excellent. found espirit too inflexible (can't eat dinner with children rolling eyes )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy