Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gradient lens for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
My missus has her eye on some new sunglasses for skiing, she was looking at a set of Oakley Forsake glasses, but they come with a gradient lens, ie starts off light at the bottom and darkens through the lens.

Do people reckon they would be ok for skiing or not?

The Oakley website says:

VR50 Brown Gradient Lens: Medium light. Subtle, contrast-boosting tint with smooth transition in shading from darker top to lighter bottom. Excellent all-purpose lens.

Using their snow simulator it looks ok to me!

http://uk.oakley.com/women/pd/6398
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of my first ever sunglasses for skiing had graduated lenses, although I do not remember exactly what the pattern was. I hated them.

As I recall, my problem with them was that my eyes would settle on one part of the lens but everything else was much too dark. It seemed to take too long for my eyes to adapt to the other parts of the lens, or everything stayed too dark. On the other hand, with a same-darkness-everywhere lens my eyes would adapt to the lens and fairly easily cope with changes to the local lighting conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bearing in mind a lot of the UV is bounced back up from the snow, I would think the light bottom would be a disadvantage to skiers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In what situation would a gradient lens ever be useful? Unless you actually looked out of certain parts of it for specific light levels which i imagine would be kind of irritating.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dwarf Vader, that was my gut reaction to the graduated lens too. Also I wonder how a lens simulator works with a graduated lens - which bit of the lens do they assume you are viewing through.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum wrote:
Dwarf Vader, that was my gut reaction to the graduated lens too. Also I wonder how a lens simulator works with a graduated lens - which bit of the lens do they assume you are viewing through.

click my Oakley link, then scroll down and click Lens tint and you will see, they show it graduated!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-06-10 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like a very bad idea, for the reason that Dwarf Vader says. Unless you could get some that start dark at the bottom, get lighter in the middle and then dark again at the top.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyph, that's what my skiing sunglasses do (not that I wear them much now I mostly wear a helmet)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, intrigued, how does a helmet preclude the need for sunglasses - does it have a peak, and even then how does that protect you eyes from snow glare - or does it have a visor Twisted Evil

I have found the simulator - didn't look hard enough before, it looks like the lens is more darkly graded at the bottom, which would explain things somewhat.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 21-06-10 18:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, because GrahamN will wear goggles with his helmet??
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells, well that is the only assumption I could come to, but I then wondered why that might be so - I often wear sunnies with my helmet. I only take goggles if the day is not a blue sky one.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, GrahamN uses The Force when skiing with a helmet on, so eye protection is superfluous.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Bearing in mind a lot of the UV is bounced back up from the snow, I would think the light bottom would be a disadvantage to skiers.

I don't think there will be a difference in the amount of UV protection in a graduated lens from Oakley, but in a sunny day there's probably not going to be a difference in the level of light between the sky and the reflection from the snow so I think a graduated lens would be a bit of a disaster.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum, GrahamN uses The Force when skiing with a helmet on, so eye protection is superfluous.

and he's got a helmet on so it doesn't matter if he crashes into something
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

and he's got a helmet on so it doesn't matter if he crashes into something

Wait, I thought that was the seatbelt / airbag combo not skiing with headphones that stopped him from getting hurt. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

kitenski, for all those reasons above. It may well be safe for your eyes according to Oakley, but IMO it wouldn't be comfortable.

el nombre, reading outside? Doing anything where you look straight forward or down but don't want the subject area to be too dark, whilst still protecting from bright light above. Maybe just shopping on a high street? OR When you're out clubbing.

I'd guess that a few years ago nearly all glasses designed for skiing / mountaineering (ie glacier glasses), DID have graduated lenses - but in TWO directions. A couple of pairs I had gave very dark bottoms, very dark tops with a lighter strip in the middle. One would presume to lower the impact or reflection from the snow, direct light from above whilst giving you good vision directly where you look. I know that lens technology has progressed a long way since then, but it's a thought. Wink Not to mention it could give a very cool mirrored look...
ski holidays
parlor, the lenses you may be talking about are Vuarnet's "Skilynx". A lovely all round lens.
latest report
under a new name, never had the Vaurents, Sad I know that at least one pair would have liked to have been though...
snow conditions
parlor, shame. My last pair of their wayfarer rip offs are languishing with broken hinges. 3 opticians have said no fix possible, I am keeping trying. Awesome retro, great lenses.
ski holidays
parlor, Fair enough, I was thinking of goggles as i never wear sunnys when skiing due to the sunnys + helmet = douche equation. You'd look a bit odd walking round M&S or in a club with goggles on. For glasses though i guess these lens' have their benefits as you've pointed out.
snow report
el nombre, fair point, I didn't really get that you were referring to goggle lenses. Having said that the strip option might be a good idea for those brighter white days...

under a new name, I have a pair of original Wayfarers sitting here if you like. Wink Actually I also have a pair of original Oakley Frogskins, the mother-in-laws from the early 90s, sadly the plastic has decayed and the arms will no longer stay attached at the hinge. Sad Oakley can't help as they changes the hinge on the newer Frogskins, shame.
snow report
andyph, i had a pair in the early/mid eighties - made by Style Eyes - mid/deep amber fading to a light amber/yellow in the middle and back to a mid/deep amber at the top. mighty fine they were too.
snow conditions
Past tense, rogg? Were they consigned to the large round receptacle labelled "80s fashion"? I still have my 80s Briko wrap-arounds, although the EoSB fartbag day was their first outing in many years. Embarassed
snow conditions
unfortunately destroyed in a motorbike accident Shocked
snow report
And I thought this was an article about varifocals...
now where are my reading specs?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy