Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Unlimited Pass for Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used the Chamonix Unlimited Pass to ski in Verbier? I'm reading that you have to line up each morning to get a Verbier day pass for each day you wish to ski Verbier, and I'm wondering how much of a hassle this becomes (v's paying extra for a weekly Verbier pass). Would it be possible to get the next day's Verbier pass in the afternoon on the way down from the mountain? Can they be talked into issuing a weekly Verbier pass in exchange for the Unlimited Pass at all?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmmm, only done it the other way round but when I went to chamonix I did have to get a fresh ticket every day so wouldn't be suprised.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sinbad7, we have used a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass regularly in Verbier for the last 2 seasons. Last season was an improvement on the first season in that the pass was extended to the entire 4 Valleys and the staff were used to the arrangement.

We had to renew it on a daily basis - which we usually did in Le Chable, where at weekends we rarely queued. I'm not sure what the queues are like in Medran. When we did a week in Nendaz we renewed it each morning in Siviez where there was never a queue, despite it being Easter week.

I think I did once get the next days pass the afternoon before but that might have been the first season when they were more flexible.

Last season they were strict on only issuing a 1 day pass.

There were changes between season 1 and season 2 so this could change for better or for worse next year. Hopefully they will continue the arrangement as it is a superb lift pass!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sinbad7, umm, why would you want to (use the MBU I mean)? Unless you're planning on skiing Cham/Courmayeur as well. I can't recall if we tried to get the pass the day before, I think we may have done and were turned away

Plus, I'm not aware that it's been confirmed that Verbier is on the MBU for next season.

(and what BobinCH says, he's been working that system (to ski Verbs/CHam/Courmayeur) much, much, more than I have)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sinbad7, As a general point the queues in Verbier are very much a timing/ location thing. As BobinCH says le chable is rarely a problem, getting there early to any of the sales points will also dramatically reduce your wait. If it's going to be a weekend day then consider getting your pass at savolyeres or le rouge rather than medran.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After 3pm you *should* always be able to pick up your ticket for the following day.

Using your Chamonix pass for free tickets Vs buying a weeks Verbier pass? I'll let your wallet decide that one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Plus, I'm not aware that it's been confirmed that Verbier is on the MBU for next season.

Please tell me you have no particular reason to suspect it won't be!!!!!!!!! Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, a group of us are planning on staying a week in Chamonix (Argentiere) followed by a week in Verbier (or vice versa). Getting a 13 day pass in Chamonix is a reasonable saving against 2x weekly passes, although if it resulted in a half hour wait for a daily ticket each morning it may not be worth the hassle. Hence the query.

So, it works in reverse as well then? Seems logical, really, although I've only been studying up on the Chamonix side so far, and I haven't seen mention of the same deal on the Verbinet site.

We'd be uploading at the Medran each morning I suspect, which would mean the largest of the queues (if any). May not be a problem at all on weekdays.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sinbad7, I don't think it works the other way. Or it didn't last year. Even with a Verbier season pass I think you only got a 50% discount on the daily Cham pass. We couldn't quite work out the logic of this but there you go....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker, no particular reason and certainly no inside knowledge.

It's just that the Compagnie des Alpes (Compagnie du Mont-Blanc) divested themselves of their last stake in TeleVerbier some months ago. And given all the hoo-haa over Les Houches, the usual montagnarde attituides, rivalries, etc., and it's just not something I'd be counting on.

Sadly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH, it depended on which Verbier season pass you had, the annual pass did pretty much what your pass did: new pass each day think you needed your passport to proove it was your pass. Plain season pass got you a 50% discount.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yep, annual pass rather than season one needed. not much in the price difference and well worth it if you're going to do a few trips over
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I understand correctly sinbad7 is just doing 2 weeks so the annual pass is no good to him
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the responses. We've just recently taken the decision to stay in Argentiere for a fortnight and explore the valley in a bit more depth, do a day in Courmayeur, hire a guide on a few more days, ski off the back of le Tour into Switzerland and generally get to know the valley a bit better rather than moving on to Verbier for the second week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sinbad7, If the MBU deal is still on you could do 1or2 day trips to Verbier though.
snow conditions
Don't see why not. What's the best approach to get from one to the other (and back) for a day trip?
ski holidays
sinbad7 wrote:
Don't see why not. What's the best approach to get from one to the other (and back) for a day trip?

Drive to Le Chable from where you can get bubble up - approx 45 mins from Cham as long as road clear (ie no dump the night before)
snow report
sinbad7, I'm based in Samoens and will be attempting to do 3 x 1 week in verbier this season and I've found this link: http://www.chamonet.com/lift-system/chamonix-lift-pass-prices-winter.htm and note that the prices are likley to be more favourable buying in Chamonix for use in Verbier as outlined in the realted posts rather than buying in Verbier and reversing the process. I'll spend the other weeks driving round the Chamonix resorts although i generally prefer the Grand Massif as the snowbowl generally has much better snow conditions compared with Chamonix and ofen Verbier too. Will only splash out on one season ticket so this looks like my best bet -

I now need to find some convenient budget accomodation for the two sperate weeks in Verbier when I'm not with the Missus. Ideas/suggestions appreciated please Cool
snow conditions
Jivebaby, Would you be happy staying down in Le Chable? Quicker access to the skiing than most accommodation in Verbier and much better value. What are you looking for, one bed/studio/room?
latest report
Jivebaby,
Quote:

i generally prefer the Grand Massif as the snowbowl generally has much better snow conditions compared with Chamonix and ofen Verbier too

Yeah that'll be why it has such a hard core reputation.

Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
Thanks Steve Sparks, Just a room would be OK -depends what's on offer and pricing. Will need access late for social stuff in Verbier and I've no idea how long the cable car from Chable takes or at what times it runs: appreciate any feedback there too please:

I'll know my dates soon which will help and I've more or less decided to take the Chamonix unlimited pass at €780 as otherwise it will be €420 for the Grand Massif plus 3x CHT345-390 depending upon whether 6 or 7 days are needed, which will be a lot more ;0(
snow report
Jivebaby, OK, I'll see what's about when you know dates. Cable car from Le Chable to skiing about 20 minutes (by passing any queues in Verbier), cable car Le Chable to Verbier about 10 minutes. It runs 0830-1830. There's a bus in the evenings with a late service at weekends.
ski holidays
wow .. that is quite a bit cheaperthan buying a 4 valleys season pass ... only problem is that you have to go to cashier every day if you're over in the 4 valleys (which i'm more likely to be)
snow report
Hi there. I'm about to move to Nendaz for a year. Has anyone got any advice on getting accommodation? I'd ideally share with others, so if there is anyone moving there soon that would like to find an appartment then please let me know! What are general opinions of Nendaz? How accessible is Verbier from there? Smile
snow conditions
skates, suggest you put this in a new thread to make it more visible. You can also try sending a private message to swirly or gorilla. They rented in Nendaz last season and can give you the low down.
latest report
Swirly, Hey, about to move to Nendaz, are you still there? Can you give me any information about the resort? I'm going to be looking for a flat but I'd probably rather live with other people! Will it be pretty dead in the next couple of months? Hope to hear from you soon.
ski holidays
Also, how do I send a private message??
ski holidays
skates, just replied to your other thread, sadly I'm not there anymore.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name,
Quote:

Jivebaby,
Quote:

i generally prefer the Grand Massif as the snowbowl generally has much better snow conditions compared with Chamonix and ofen Verbier too

Yeah that'll be why it has such a hard core reputation.

I'm rather bemused Sir new name - This forum is "SNOWHEADS" and the Snow part really should be a big clue.

We also we like to be considered as the worlds friendliest ski club (see logos etc) ..............ergo I'm not sure that you mean or how your response fits with these two objectives, unless you like skiing on rock instead of snow or ice rather than powder in which case it makes perfect sense: Moreover, yes Verbier/Chamonix have bigger reputations for hard-man skiing conditions but there are times when the GM area really has better snow due to its bearing relative benefit from the regular wind patterns which bless the Alps. The off piste can be difficult to reach and may sometimes require abseiling down cliffs to reach stuff well off the beaten track which is very easy in full back mountain gear, skis, avalanche pack etc, or require intimate local knowledge which is why it is so highly regarded by serious skiers. If this area remains a secret domain for only those that aren't too proud to ski in fantastic conditions irrespective of its Vinnie Jones hardness rating them count me in. I'm personally more interested in skiing on/in great snow rather than vainly choosing a resort that has a fantastic VJH reputation or more importantly perhaps for me at the time I want to ski, has very little good snow.

I'm Cool not Puzzled nor Confused
latest report
skates,
Quote:

Will it be pretty dead in the next couple of months? Hope to hear from you soon.
I was in Verbier last weekend and was gobsmacked as it really was a ghost town, especially as driving back to Samoens Sunday evening had the village teeming with people and had some really good live gigs which were free to enjoy over the following days. I mentioned this to a journalistic contact who lives in Verbier and he confirmed at least for Verbier it was normal which I was surprised with. That just goes to show that it's easy to jump to conclsuions and that conditions in ski resorts whether cultural, socila or ski conditions shoudl never be taken for granted just becuase a resort has a "big" name.

You may find Chamonix cheaper and more intetesting for those two months if you are able to postpone arrival, but that of course depends upon your needs/requirements.

Hope it all works our well and maybe I'll see you on the hill in Verbier later?
Cool
snow report
Well Jivebaby, I think Verbier and the Grand Massif are the two best overall ski areas in Europe.
The Gers area and the cliff bands above Lac Vernant and Samoens are as good as anywhere...almost, but Verbier tops it for the overall experience.
French Switzerland is just such a nicer overall experience than French France.

Chamonix would be well down my list (yeah I know...mega etc but badly connected, cold and dark valley, ....I just don't like it)
ski holidays
rungsp,
Quote:

Well Jivebaby, I think Verbier and the Grand Massif are the two best overall ski areas in Europe.

Shhhhhh...!!!!! I tend to agree although in the past I've arrived back from or just left the GM to ski in Verbier and really been surprised at how much better the snow conitions were in the GM, but when the snow is good in Verbier it really is huge set of mountains and can be a fantastic challenge. Having said that, some of the best powder days we've had were a few years back when we just drove down to Sixt = just 50 or so lucky skiers who had acres of unskied powder. The hoi polio waited for lifts to open aftre pistes were dammé which was our good fortune.

Apart from consistency (Ice = Argentiere, Avoriaz = mega Queues) etc the basics kinda have to be right but the element of just good luck, or simple good timing can have a tremendous impact upon how good the skiing is.
snow conditions
Jivebaby, Thank you kindly for the probably undeserved knighthood. I shall ask Admin to change my sig.

I'm not dissing the GM - I think you may be being a little proprietorially touchy.

In fact I would be rather delighted if it was added to my Mont Blanc pass as we spend 3-4 weekends in the GM a year, which almost adds 50% to our lift pass spend (can I have the PDS while we're at it?)

I'm just a little bemused at your statement.

GM certainly gets good snow - and much better snow than its altitude would suggest (yes, yes, yes, I know, height isn't critical, see my previous rants about height fetishists) and it certainly has some excellent and easily accessed h.p. We could make exactly the same statements for the PDS.

But "generally better snow"? - I will confess I haven't noticed that...

Maybe it'll be the new tagline, "Grand Massif, just like Chamonix or Verbier but with better snow"?

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

(The GM also requires navigation of a couple of particularly perilous pistes, crammed with idiots mostly in partial control and with too much speed.)
latest report
Steve SparksDates look like 15/01/2011- 22/01/2001 plus 12/03/2011-19/03/2011 or 26/02/2011-05/03/2011: My course request went in today and these are the dates I've asked:

I can possibly come a day or so earlier/leave a day or so later but these are all course dates and I'll hopefully be attending the first one plus of the other two: I'm happy to share, cook and be sociable:

Many thanks Cool
snow report
Picked up next year's pass yesterday and was told by the lovely Sandrine at the lift office in Le Chable that they're limiting the reciprocal agreement to eight days in either direction this year as a consequence of the massive disparity in effective price because of the strong CHF.
snow report
Steve Sparks, Was that verbal or in writing ? Crying or Very sad
snow report
Steve Sparks, that's not great news. I haven't seen any info about that on the CdMB site yet. I usually get the season pass email from them around this time of year, so hopefully there will be more details in the email.
snow conditions
Jivebaby, It was verbal, but I did quiz Sandrine about it as although 8 days in Cham will be fine by me I had some mates who were thinking about the buy in € to ski in CH option. She explained that it would have been a "catastrophe" for Televerbier had they not limited it. Aosta valley still unlimited though.
latest report
Yes - Worth checking how many days your MBU pass actually covers you for in Verbier.
Last year we had 6 day pass - but this only allowed 1 day in Verbier.
We got a couple of days by swapping passes with friends who were not going to use the Verbier option.
ski holidays
PBJ, We're talking season passes Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy