Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Walking Holiday Sept

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I know this isn't an appropriate forum but I'm new to hill-walking/hiking and you're all the only mountain people I know Smile

I'm thinking of going on my first walking holiday in Sept and haven't been in Austria in a while and miss it. I originally was thinking of Zell am See with a view to doing a day on the glacier but starting to think Kaprun won't be worth the hassle at this time of year.

So Alpbach is coming in looking like fantastic value for money but I've never been - anyone have any experience?

Thanks everyone
Rebecca

PS Anyone know of a snowheads for walkers? Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forum.asp?sp=&v=8

Personally I'm not a massive fan of either forum, but worth having a look at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Elizabeth B!
Will definitely have a look but have a feeling it would be very hard to match the snowheads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MissRibena, Gosh - I wish my apartment purchase in Zell was sufficiently progressed to make you an offer! Seriously, we liked it so much we bought a place. What ever you find, I hope you enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks holidayloverxx!

I kinda know I'll love Zell. Never been but ever since I saw my first brochure I thought it looked amazing. The Zell holiday is working out 200 quid dearer than the Alpbach one, and I sorta know I'll ski Zell at some stage but I might not ever go to Alpbach. Mind you there are good deals for Kitzbuhel and Niederau too but neither really are tingling my taste buds. But I love Austria and I'm all excited just to be typing the place names! lol.

(and great to be back on snowheads ... missed my ski holiday this year and was too depressed to visit til now! Smile)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MissRibena, hey, keep in touch anyway. skiing and walking have different requirements I think - what you experience for one might be fantastic (and I hope it is) and for the other could be a completely different set up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpbach is a very pretty village, but tiny. Zell is a big, bustling place. There would be lovely walking round either, but they're very different. Are you going on your own?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I must admit that afer 3 trips to Zell this year I would hesitate to say it's either "big" or "bustling". Compact and charming come to mind more readily. Mind you I work in London and I wouldn't really call that "bustling" in most parts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some lovely walks near Gossausee up onto Dachstein range. You could look at http://www.gasthof-gosausee.at/

Another option would be Schladming or Rohrmoos take a look at http://www.schladming-dachstein.at/en/summer/hiking/

Staying round Lech is lovely too walking the Kaesestrasse in Bregenzerwald http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at1/_area/585617/_subArea/585761/index.html

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, it's bustling compared to Alpbach, with far more going on. Alpbach is really tiny! Personally I'd probably go for Zell, because having big water in the landscape does add a lot. And gives you some walking options which are not too strenuous.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can recommend Obergurgl. Had a great time there some years ago. Skiing looked a bit limited but great walks in the summer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I agree, we fell in love with the Lake and Mountain combo. I haven't done much walking and am looking forward to doing some in August Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MissRibena, are you booked yet?

I'd recommend not using any sort of TO and booking flights and accommodation by yourself. If you head into the Steirmark / Dachstein area they offer a fantastic summer card with free busses and taxis to take you to the start of a hike or bring you home after a long one... it also includes swimming pools and loads of other activities. http://www.summercard.info

It also includes quite a few ski/mountain lifts plus the dachstein glacier. (but not carrying sports equipment - so you have to pay for skiing Sad ) The card comes included with a lot of the hotels... well worth checking it out!

My friends also run this http://www.bikeandhikeaustria.eu/hiking.htm this is a really good package and the hosts are really nice chaps too (Larry is an awesome chef!)

Anyhow - I hope you find something that pleases you!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

MissRibena

I would definitely recommend a DIY trip.

We've done about a dozen summer self guided hut to hut trips in various parts of Austria. Train and bus connections from airports to the mountains are usually excellent.

There are 500 "huts" in Austria alone and the word "hut" is actually a misnomer. Forgive me if you know this but (for those who don't) the word is derived from the German word for refuge - Hutte. All huts are of a very high standard and many are more like mountain hotels. The vast majority have wardens living there, who serve food and (importantly) drink.

Details of routes are available from the Austrian Alpine Club (in the UK) and joining the club gets you a reduction of up to 50% on the cost of a bed in the huts.

For starters I'd recommend the Stubai Valley in Austria (based around the village of Neustift, near Innsbruck) or the Karwendel range on the German/Austrian border, just south of Munich. Both areas offer routes of anything from day walks to week (or more) hut to hut trips.

A summer hut to hut trip is hard to beat and I'd really recommend it. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. Am going alone so convinced myself that the smaller resort and hotels in Alpbach would be more intimate and easier to meet up with people. I rang the Alpbach tourist office and they have a really good program of walks, cycles etc. until the middle of October. But now you make Zell am See sound so fantastic again I'm wobbling!

Would normally do DIY but no direct flights from Ireland to Innsbruck or Salzburg in Summer/Autumn. Sad That hut-to-hut trip sounds amazing. Mind you it's working out really good value with a TO and zero supplements and it's my first time on a walking trip so I could save the hut trip for next year Smile
latest report
The Grand Hotel in Zell has deals on for single travellers (basically get a double twin at the singe rate). Great place and can be very competitive on price. Half board for a family of 4 for a week in a suite was 1400 Euro a week last year.

Bike hire is free too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy