Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to go in December (for Christmas and New Year possibly) can anyone recommend a catered chalet?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might like to give an idea of your budget. There are some which cost insane amounts of money.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Budget isn't a huge consideration, so long as it's worth the money, we don't want to get fleeced but we are happy to pay for the right facilities.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

so long as it's worth the money

Here are a few for around £1k each, which looks like the going rate for Val D:-

http://www.igluski.com/searchresults?sort=3
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, I didn't realise that included fights, some cracking deals.

But not for the dates we want, I don't want to go Sunday to Sunday, we want December 23rd to Jan 3rd, I doubt we're going to find anything.

Why do the French resorts make it so bloody awkward!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Budget isn't a huge consideration

well my son cooked part of one season at a rather smart one, but for Christmas AND New Year it would cost upwards (possibly quite a long way upwards) of £100K. Mind you, that's for the whole place, and it slept at least 20 people though most parties didn't fill completely. And the food was good. Flights and transfers not included. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Why do the French resorts make it so bloody awkward!

Who is really being awkward here?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well beequin, as the paying guest, I dont think selecting my dates is awkward, if we can't find somewhere in Val we'll go somewhere more accommodating, it's not a problem, it isn't THAT good a resort.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Standee wrote:
I didn't realise that included fights

Typical for Val d'Isere chalets. There's the "English yobs v. Russian bodyguards" special which attracts a lot of attention and black market bets. Plus more standard fare such as Dutch v Parisians.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Standee, you'll have no problem selecting your dates if budget isn't a consideration.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I heard Bansko is the ne Val D!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Standee, you'll have no problem selecting your dates if budget isn't a consideration.

That is what we thought, but I honestly cannot find the holiday we want, everyone seems set on Sunday to Sunday, if anyone can point us in the direction of a good quality Chalet that would be brilliant.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
markwarner usually do sunday to sunday
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standee, pay for two weeks (excluding flights) and select your days accordingly within that period wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

pay for two weeks (excluding flights) and select your days accordingly within that period

exactly! Book separate flights, hire car(s) or book taxi(s). Simples.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Standee, pay for two weeks (excluding flights) and select your days accordingly within that period wink

I dont see why we should have to, we'll find somewhere that isn't so inflexible.
ski holidays
Quote:

we'll find somewhere that isn't so inflexible.

You think? Good luck with that one at peak season in one of the busiest resorts in Europe. Laughing
snow report
Standee, most places over the Christmas/New Year period should be able to fill their beds with 'Sunday-Sunday' bookings so there is no need for them to be flexible. I'd imagine that independent chalet operators, rather than larger companies, should be more able to accomodate your needs especially if you can fill their property. However, due to the time of year they probably won't.
snow report
Standee wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

I dont see why we should have to, we'll find somewhere that isn't so inflexible.

You must be taking the pi5s???

Assuming you aren't.... The reason you have to is otherwise the chalet company ends up with half of one of the busiest weeks of the season with noone in it.... Anyone who accomodates your request is either stupid or has something wrong with their chalet.
ski holidays
Standee wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

as others have said good luck...it ain't going to happen...if it does the price will basically be for 2 weeks and you will be using the place for the time you want and paying for it to be empty for the extra days...they may tell you you are only paying for the time you are there....you choose if you believe it if you wish

the only places any resort who will split that week up are those who have major problems or are two stops from upton park

you might get lucky with a hotel but i doubt it
latest report
Standee,
With Christmas falling on a Saturday there are some operators doing a Monday to Monday Dec rather than the Sat or Sunday change overs, if you found a TO that was doing this for the 27th to the 3rd then for the other days you would need to find a hotel on an individual night basis.

hope that helps
snow report
Standee, I really don't see the problem here. Budget isn't a major consideration (lucky old you) so just get on with it. Put together your own holiday - it will cost you plenty to have both Christmas AND New Year but given that for New Year, in particular, practically every bed in val D'Isere will be full, why would anyone sell you just part of the week? It's a popular and expensive resort. But even unpopular cheap ones won't sell you part of a week at their most profitable time of the year, so you just need to work with it, or think again about your plans. Why not just go for two weeks? Even in low season (e.g. mid January) you won't be able to book for less than full weeks until much nearer the time as people will only do it if they're desperate or, as suggested above, mad.
ski holidays
Standee, perhaps you should go and do some research and come back and report to us your findings wink
latest report
I really despair of you people, prepared to shell out for a mediocre resort on the resort terms, typical Brits.
latest report
To book 12 nonstandard days during a premium vacation period in a premium ski resort with a premium brand in a premium snow location will require a premium accommodation solution in a premium hotel or premium chalet or premium condo.

You best dig deep, braw.
snow report
Standee, what's this 'resort terms' stuff? The supply of accommodation is down to individual providers, not the resort. If you are indeed "happy to pay for the right facilities" then get your dosh out and shut up. And if you think Val d'Isere is mediocre, why are you going there?
snow report
Standee wrote:
I really despair of you people, prepared to shell out for a mediocre resort on the resort terms, typical Brits.

Val d'Isere - "mediocre resort"??? Then why do you want to spend your Christmas and New Year there?

And you are the only one who will need to shell out for it as the rest of us don't expect the ski industry to bend to our every request at their expense.

Can you not see the economic problem with your request that is blindingly obvious to everyone else?
ski holidays
I wouldn't recommend a chalet to this guy - imagine inflicting him on someone you like, who runs a nice chalet? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He does not want to spend Christmas and New Year in Hull, now that would be mediocre!
ski holidays
This has to be a wind-up Laughing
ski holidays
Well the OP was remarkably vague, that's for sure.
latest report
there you go pam w fixed it for you

pam w wrote:
Well the OP was remarkably unrealistic, that's for sure.
latest report
Standee wrote:

But not for the dates we want, I don't want to go Sunday to Sunday, we want December 23rd to Jan 3rd, I doubt we're going to find anything.

So he didn't expect anything anyway rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:
"We are happy to pay for the right facilities"

or, it would appear, not. And he still hasn't told us such basic info as the size of the group.
snow report
Standee, would apparently have all the money required, however we have discovered he does not have the "sharpest edges"!
ski holidays
[quote="BobinCH"]
Standee wrote:

Val d'Isere - "mediocre resort"??? Then why do you want to spend your Christmas and New Year there?

And you are the only one who will need to shell out for it as the rest of us don't expect the ski industry to bend to our every request at their expense.

Can you not see the economic problem with your request that is blindingly obvious to everyone else?[/quote

Chalet Owner by any chance?

I want to go to Val because we've been to the PDS the last few years, I asked a simple question and all I get from the people currently posting is attitude, which is completely unlike genuine snowHead .

So, I'll apologise if I have offended anyone, and I'll accept the apologies of people making personal comments about me when they know nothing about me. We're looking for accommodation for 2 people, which in itself seems to be a problem as a lot of places are still looking to sell full chalets, we may be too early in the season, I am also a bit concerned about transfer times from Geneva, it states 3 hours or so, but that is if the weather is fine, what is the "realistic" transfer time?

And can I suggest, respectfully, that some people posting on here have a look at themselves, and how welcoming they are of new or infrequent posters, it's a bit embarassing for the snowHead general population.

Maybe I should mention IPods and Helmets?
latest report
Standee, I'm not sure you have offended anyone. You just continue making stupid remarks. It appears most peole posting on here think you are the embarassing one.

Ps I'm not a chalet owner
snow report
Standee, actually your 12 days spreads across 3 weeks of Sunday to Saturday
ski holidays
Standee, Normal transfer time is 3- 4 hours from Geneva but it did take 8 hour once on half term week
snow conditions
Thanks Glen, we're managing to get somewhere with flying into Chambery by the looks of it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy