Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens in March with a baby

Poster: A snowHead
Hello. I'm planning a trip to Samoens next March for myself, the OH, our new baby and the in-laws. I've chosen Samoens because the village is not too high, it looks like a nice village to potter in, it's not far from the airport and it has access to a large ski area.

Does anyone know what the snow in Samoens in March is generally like? I've got some prices for the MGM apartments there and it's much cheaper the w/c 12 March than the w/c 5 March. We'll probably go for the cheaper week if the snow is generally ok through March.

Also, I know that the skiing starts/ends above the village - can you get a gondola up to Samoens 1600 so that non-skiers (and baby) could meet skiers for lunch (when they're not miles away)?

We're hoping to stay in the Residence La Reine Des Pres. Anyone have any experience of it?

And does anyone know how to pronounce Samoens...?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NatalieG, prounounced Samwans snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NatalieG, I suspect the price reflects french school holiday dates, probably March 5 is still holidays for one of the zones but by the 12th they are all back at school. Can't help with the other queries though sorry.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big nursery (Garderie) in the centre of Samoens. Our youngest was there two years running when about 1 and about 2. Perfectly possible to get the gondola up to the skiing for visits to the snow - should be plentiful in March. Can also drive up.

No experience of the accomodation you mention, we use Les Fermes du Samoens through Ski Peak - works out cheaper then booking direct and you get Eurotunnel with flexiplus thrown in as well.

Nice market on Thursday(?) morning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess there's not often much snow down in the old village itself? Attractive place, precisely because it's a proper valley village. I've only been there in summer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know that particular MGM development but I'm sure a recent MGM place would be good quality - though it's quite a long way from the village centre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NatalieG, Can't comment on MGM, but we went in early-mid March 09 and conditions were fine. No snow in the village itself, but plenty on the mountain - had fresh snow 3 out of 6 days. Things can get a bit slushy on the lower reaches down around Morillon and Les Carroz later in the day, and things can get icy in places from freeze/thaw, but that's to be expected pretty much anywhere in March. It's about 90 mins from Geneva, we used Geneva Airport Transfers (www.genevaairporttransfers.com) who sucessfully moved 12 of us plus luggage quickly, easily and very reasonably.

Interested in the baby minding thing, as our little boy is a souviner of that trip so will be about 15 months come next March.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello,
La Reine des Pres is a lovely residence (brand new last season) located 350m from the cable car and 450m from the village centre so is in an ideal location. There is also a free shuttle bus which runs to Samoens village and the lifts which you could get. As for the snow conditions this should be fine at the time you are looking to go. Although as already mentioned there wont be any snow in the village itself. If you want an idea of what the snow is like the best thing would be to have a look at snow reports from past years. We have these on our website for Samoens. I hope this helps you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've been to Samoens for the first week of March for the last 5 years - first year with a baby and a 2 year old, this year with a 5 & 6 year old. All but one year my parents have come with us to childmind. The first year, I promised them there would be no snow in the village (having been there a few years earlier). They had to dig the car out every day - I don't think it ever stopped snowing! the roads were always clear to push the pram and pushchair along though. I think this year was the first year we haven't had any fresh snow in the village during the week. The temperature at village level has varied from 20 + degrees (parents very happy) to extremely cold this year (parents hibernated as they didn't have much childminding to do)

It is a great place to go with little ones and grandparents. Samoens is a lovely village to potter round and you will find many grandparents doing the same thing. My parents have used both the gondola and the road up to 1600 to meet us for lunch. There are a few different bars to meet at for variety. My parents prefer to take the free lift from the top of the Grand Massif express to the top of the old gondola and sit in the sun at the one of the bars there.

We may well be back in the first week of March 2011...... snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou wrote:
NatalieG, prounounced Samwans snowHead

oh, not Sam Owens then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much, everyone. I'm not actually looking for childcare as the grandparents will be helping out with our little one but thanks for the recommendation anyway. Skimummy, it's good to hear that Samoens works well for that arrangement.

RobW, thanks for the reply. Do you mean Ski Peak or Peak Retreats though? I've had a google and Ski Peak seems to do holidays in Vaujany and Alpe d'Huez only. I will keep looking if it's definitely Ski Peak.

HollyPR, I will have a look on your website for snow reports, thanks.

Richard_Sideways, congratulations! Your first? Ours will be a year at the end of next March so a bit littler than yours.

Does anyone know if it's possible to leave skis and boots either at the bottom of the lifts in Samoens or at the top of the Grand Massif express (either in lockers or at a ski shop)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NatalieG, Yes I meant Peak Retreats. Sorry for the confusion!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW, not at all, just wanted to check I wasn't missing out on a bargain! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NatalieG,
We hired the kids skis from the Skiset/Roland Gay shop at 1600 this year. We had free use of a locker next to the shop or could have paid for a heated locker at the top of the Grand Massif Express. I'm not sure if you can hire the lockers without renting from the shop though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Skimummy, all bar one of us would at least be renting skis so that's helpful to know. Seeing the in-laws this weekend so will discuss with them, but if they're happy I think we will be booking next week. How exciting! Now just have to find some stomach muscles from somewhere...
latest report
We are booked into the Residence La Reine Des Pres in Feb half term and hear that it is decent. The place will be quieter when you get there and a lot cheaper, but we are now controlled by school holidays, such is life.

I stayed in Samoens in the past and it always came across as a good place for families, a real village not just built for the ski industry with a good gondola up to the slopes and some pretty good ski ing with a couple of new fast lifts recently put in as well
snow report
Thanks chrisb. Have booked today for w/c 12 March (through Peak Retreats). Hope you have a great time in Feb.
snow conditions
Hello, used this area extensively over a number of years, children now 7 and 4 so have mixed and matched many facilities as the've grown and all have been good. Always 1st, 2nd or 3rd week in March and always had snow (even when less good they seem to manage it well as lots of slopes are north facing.

Stayed this year 2010 with peak retreats and shared an appartment for two families. Our favourite is Morillon 1100 as it is directly on the snow which gives walk out access to chair lift, good lunchtime meeting with no need to get anyone up a lift to meet but less to do than Samoen village for non skier.

There is a thread earlier this year (Creche in morillon) with some good discussion i've contributed to and quite a lot of detail if you go to that village.

Samoen is a really nice village, gondola is about 1.5km from centre with bus connect. Both samoen 1600 and Morillin 1100 are really nice places to sit out for lunch and kids toboganning etc with reasonable pricing.

Hope this helps.
snow report
Thanks ski3. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy