Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Headphones on the Piste

Poster: A snowHead
As a previous thread asked for the pros and cons of wearing headphones and listening to music on the piste to be left out......
I can't see how this can be safe, part of safety on the piste is being aware of your surroundings.
If there is a skier/boarder in your vicinity is it not safer to be able to hear them?
Could it be construed as a participating factor should the be an accident?
Just wondering on the general consensus.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chattonmill, you might like to use the search facility to access some (many) lively discussions on the topic.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a point when the volume is such that you can hear both.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, Ahh sorry!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tend to look where I'm going too. Pretty helpful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now then, where's that yawn smiley?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
Now then, where's that yawn smiley?

You're normally wearing it, non? wink

This might be a rerun but it's always valid.

Skiing / snowboarding needs no soundtrack other than the natural one supplied that doesn't endanger other people.

Wearing headphones = wearing condoms.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, in your opinion, that is. Wearing headphones and listening to music doesn't endanger other people.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone condone wearing headphones when cycling on busy streets? It's ( IMVHO) much the same - other than you are going considerably faster in the latter case. And if your reactions a dulled by an instant, then sorry hyweljenkins, yes you can endanger other people.

Wearing an mp3 when walking the street is only likely to get yourself hurt (although not noticing so early, for example, a car backing out of its driveway may cause trauma and distress to the driver if they hit you) but whilst in charge of a 200lb missile at 40 mph? ( that's me on skis btw) - not so sure its smart thing to do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins wrote:
parlor, in your opinion, that is. Wearing headphones and listening to music doesn't endanger other people.

In your opinion: SOME PEOPLE don't wear them LOUD enough to endanger people. Good for you. I still think it's really sad that you need to somehow 'enhance' your skiing experience. Maybe you're doing it wrong?

Easier just to ban them, zero tolerance. That's what I'd have.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you hear a horn when you've got the radio on in the car? You can? Oh goody. That's because you don't have the radio on so loud it makes your ears bleed.

The same is true of the integrated helmet speakers - on mine it simply won't go up loud enough that I would consider it loud in any way shape or form.

Just not a risk unless you turn your amp up to 11. There is a balance to be struck.

If you are travelling everywhere at 40mph I don't see why headphones are a problem - it's not like anyone is going to hit you from behind.

I fail to see how music or any other noise is going to cause you to crash into something - somebody out of control might crash into you, but it won't be your fault - you are either the downhill skiier, or you are looking where you're going.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimW, I wear headphones while road running. I've never run in to anyone or caused anyone to dodge for cover. Wearing headphones doesn't endanger people. Idiots endanger people. I wear headphones while skiing, and I've never hit anyone or caused anyone to dodge for cover. I wonder how I manage.

parlor, nope. I wear mine to block out the inane drivel from people like, oooh, you, on the slopes. I assure you I'm not doing it wrong. What is so brilliant about the sound of the wind rushing past your ears?

Monium, if someone hits you from behind, the headphones have nothing to do with it. The idiot that hits you from behind does, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, stop being so bossy. NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins wrote:

parlor, nope. I wear mine to block out the inane drivel from people like, oooh, you, on the slopes. I assure you I'm not doing it wrong. What is so brilliant about the sound of the wind rushing past your ears?

It's all part of the experience, being on the mountain hearing foreign accents and languages, hearing people laugh, people swear when there's an incident, hearing people having a good time, having a laugh, hearing the silence, the sound of planks through snow. It is sensory deprivation as Parlor's earphone-condom analogy suggests, blocking out one of the 3 channels of stimulation.

If I was having sex with a beautiful woman I'd want to hear her and not the latest 'Lady GaGa' album piped through my Sennheiser earbud earphones. hyweljenkins, Does it make sense to you now?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, what else will you ban? Alcohol? (a contributory factor in many accidents). Helmets which can injure the people you crash into? (a friend had a terminally smashed knee, which all the best knee surgeons in Austria couldn't put back together, when an 10 year old idiot in a tuck position crashed into her on the side of the piste when she was wiping her 4 year old's nose).

It's really sad that you haven't experienced the pleasure of cruising down an empty piste to Vivaldi's Gloria.
snow conditions
if your finding your helmet integrated speakers are just not loud enough, you can buy some pretty good mini headphone amps, they plug in through the jack plugs. work a treat
latest report
PisteHead, if you think sex with a beautiful woman is only as good as skiing you've never had sex with a beautiful woman.
latest report
I guess I'd want total awareness if I was skiing a *really* euro-busy piste, but otherwise, I don't see how not being able to hear will ever make me crash into anyone, or hearing the person smashing into the back of me would help.
ski holidays
parlor, agreed.

most of us spend so little time exposed to the elements these days. Why dilute the experience? Are people really that bored by skiing?
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:
PisteHead, if you think sex with a beautiful woman is only as good as skiing you've never had sex with a beautiful woman.

I think the only way to settle this is nekkid pics of said beautful woman. Then the jury can vote wink

To the original question obviously the workaround is one of those boombox backpacks, I'd recommend using one in parlor's vicinity.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-06-10 19:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Chattonmill wrote:
Hurtle, Ahh sorry!
Don't apologise, there's always someone ready for another crack at the whip! Just thought you might like a little preview! Laughing
snow conditions
What about pretending you've got an i-pod on and singing your way down the slopes like I did this year? It was a great way to stop me thinking about the perils in front of me and relax and enjoy the journey. Springsteen's 'Thunder Road' was on my 'i-pod' all the time and was a great help to this nervous, wimp of a skier - and the battery never ran out! Try it, it's fun but don't blame me if you suddenly have men in white coats skiing down after you! wink
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:

Haha. It's rare to find me on a piste and when you do, all you'll hear from me is "inane" excitement. Drivel, no, I save that for winding people up on the internet.

You even think it's just about the sound of wind rushing past your ears, it's not. For you piste lovers: it's the delicate changes of noise as your edges go through a series of engagement. For me, my preference is powder, where I like to here it woosh, and maybe even sloosh! The best noise is when it's so deep it rustles against your clothing as you steam through it. Truly motion-in-poetry.

TBH I think there is actually a much more subtle danger in not having all of your senses turned to maximum. When one of your party skis ahead and makes a wrong turn. Countless times I've skied with people (sans headphones) and had to yell at the top of my voice for them (often) not to hear me, turn left, turn right, STOP!

You're in one of natures most beautiful places and you should be taking it all in, the mountains talk to you. Not just the dreaded "whoompf" before an avalanche, the beep of a piste beast, let skiing be at the center of all your senses.

The Buddhists say "All mountains are the temples of God and are places which destroy Sin".

I guess you like your "raise the roof" happy clappy stuff. For me, I like it pure.

No body is right, but you do look like a bunch of berks listening to whatever it is you're listening too when you don't have too... Bored? Go home. Rhythm? Learn to ski. To get psyched? Mwwwwaaahhhhhhh.
latest report
Not on snow, but tragic consequences can occur as a result of wearing headphones, and not being aware of your surroundings

From another article I read it would seem they were very loud as the traindriver sounded his horn to warn him too Sad
snow report
Quote:

If I was having sex with a beautiful woman I'd want to hear her and not the latest 'Lady GaGa' album piped through my Sennheiser earbud earphones

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Fantastic! Surely the best argument to end this argument!

There's a time and a place for music and skiing and bedroom activities are together best done "sans musique" via headphones IMHO.

Couldn't agree more with Parlor on this occasion. Surely, being in the mountains is about, well, being in the mountains and experiencing the natural environment. And by the way, I love my music. But I somehow can't imagine or believe that (no matter how much I love 'em) my favourite Rammstein tracks would enhance my favourite ski runs...

And while I'm on, what is it with the "gigantic is better" headphones? Don't they look rather silly? Puzzled
ski holidays
There are clearly some snowheads who will be aghast at the new government's plans to cut down on the "Health and Safety" excesses of recent years.
snow report
pam w wrote:
There are clearly some snowheads who will be aghast at the new government's plans to cut down on the "Health and Safety" excesses of recent years.

Not me. I prefer a sensible approach to life.
latest report
I love my music and to me it enhances my skiing experience. There is nothing better than having some decent track accompany me downhill..
We have all watched skiing videos with awesome soundtracks haven't we? Well i like to live that.

As many have said previously i dont think it creates danger. True, you may not hear it coming your way from behind and thats a risk i take but it doesn't mean i will plough into anyone else as i use my eyes as my primary source of input and i am always looking where i am going.

Sometimes i turn my music off where i want to go natural and sometimes that does it for me too.

Choice is the thing here, there is no right or wrong. Those that want to ban it should ask if it would be acceptable to ban the deaf too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PisteHead wrote:

If I was having sex with a beautiful woman I'd want to hear her and not the latest 'Lady GaGa' album piped through my Sennheiser earbud earphones. hyweljenkins, Does it make sense to you now?

I dunno, i reckon Poker Face could be just the track.
ski holidays
What do you recommend to accompany sex with a less-than-beautiful woman?
ski holidays
Snapzzz wrote:
We have all watched skiing videos with awesome soundtracks haven't we? Well i like to live that.

Choice is the thing here, there is no right or wrong. Those that want to ban it should ask if it would be acceptable to ban the deaf too.

Joking aside as I mentioned the ban first, you're an idiot. I made a ban joke because IMHO if you have headphones on you can't be concentrating 100% on your surroundings. A deaf person is probably more aware of their surroundings that you are. rolling eyes

AND:

You are definitely doing it wrong. Set you music to the video after you see how the line plans out. Skiing to the music while your skiing the line means your timing is all wrong. Ski the mountain. Watch the video. Find the music to match.

Next you'll be telling me it's acceptable to use a mobile while skiing. rolling eyes

Shocked no helmet! Wink
snow report
parlor wrote:

Joking aside as I mentioned the ban first, you're an idiot.

So anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot?

Grow up.
ski holidays
Snapzzz wrote:
parlor wrote:

Joking aside as I mentioned the ban first, you're an idiot.

So anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot?

Grow up.

No. Saying blind people should be banned from skiing makes you an idiot. Did you read past the bit where I called you an idiot or did the internet chat room rage kick in straight away? I think I made it pretty clear, but don't beat yourself up about it, I am an idiot and I certainly need to grow up.
snow conditions
I often have one headphone in whilst skiing on piste or in the bumps, I haven't had any problems re other skiers, and it can be fun to ski to the rythm, and do something stupid as the song breaks.

I won't usually listen to music whilst offpiste though, communication and general awareness of what's going on around you are more important there, but also when you're out in the real hills away from the resort, there is much more wilderness/mountian to be in tune with, if that mkaes sense.

hyweljenkins wrote:

I dunno, I'd take a waist-deep bluebird day over pretty much anything. Maybe you just don't get laid enough wink
ski holidays
this thread is laughable. ban earphones on the piste, are you having a laugh!!! Next you will want piste police who check every single person who goes onto the mountain to ensure they are fully equiped with gear for every eventuality. Its about time common sense to hold, if you want to listen to your music ( i never do if im honest) then fine, or if you would rather listen to nature instead then thats also fine. Really dont see the problem, just a thought, i thought you had to give way to the skier infront, so if you have music on, does this impare your eyesight aswell? Puzzled
snow conditions
parlor, you need an irony/joke smiley ..... some are missing it and taking you seriously Little Angel
snow report
I'm confused do I have to have the sex on piste with an iPhone or is it off piste without an ipod Confused
ski holidays
most of my group wear headphones whilst skiing, I get pissed off with them just looking blankly at me that I end up pulling them out. Laughing It is dangerous, although.. I agree that there are dangers of wearing them on piste, but thats not the issue. The problem is with guys wearing them whilst skiing off piste lines, thats dangerous, not being able to hear the avalanche.
snow report
excellent, a decent argument thread at last. I'm no fascist, people should be free to do what they like within reason, but I do think that you're somewhat of a heathen if you use headphones while skiing/boarding. Quite apart from the beauty of the mountains etc, one the main issue I've found when I've experimented with headphones is that you don't hear your own skis on the snow and so deprive yourself of essential feedback. I'm in complete agreement that you don't need to add to the mountain experience by adding music, that's what the apres is for.

Ricklovesthepowder, we seem to agree on most things, but it's not as simple as "downhill skier has right of way". Many times I've had to take evasive action because I've heard someone approaching from above who wasn't paying due care and attention and I've had to take evasive action on their behalf. If I was wearing headphones the chances are I wouldn't have heard them. If they are approaching from behind then it's their responsibility to take evasive action, but saying "it wasn't my fault" is very little consolation if I'm being carted off the mountain on a blood wagon, holiday ruined, after being hit by an idiot.
snow conditions
.....so

Skiing in Europe is pretty much the best there is, anyone who goes skiing in North America or migrates there is a moron. Long flight, immigration hassle, lack of predominantly cheese and potato based fare (aside form poutine) , everyone's fat etc etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy