Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ipod friendly helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Ok guys,

Putting aside the debate of whether or not you should be plugged into your iPod whilst on the slopes i would like to hear from anyone who uses either the standard ipod headphones with a helmet or the newer helmets with built in speakers.

I am a big fan of music whilst skiing and so far just use my standard headphones tucked under my hat. But next year i am planning to buy a helmet and would like to know how comfortable headphones are underneath them. Also how good the dedicated helmet systems really are.

Many thanks

Jon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a wired one and it was a pain - plugging/unplugging the headphone jack into earpad is an back bottom and easily forgotten so it gets ripped out when you take helmet off. This year I just dug out my free Apple earbuds and they're actually way better. Leak enough outside sound that you can hear what's going on, can just pop them in and out yourself. Not 100% comfy, but it'll do. The helmet specific pads are just a sales point imo.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comfort is the biggest thing for me and of course having them stay put. I was concerned that any helmet movement would dislodge the standard ear buds....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dunno, they stay in your ears without a helmet, the pad just holds them tighter. If your helmet is slopping around it doesn't fit...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I, on the other hand, vote for the wired-for-sound helmet. I hate those in-ear thingies - they fall out all the time and hurt my ears. Though possibly I just have bizarre lugs. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a wired for sound Giro helmet, and it's great. I leave the jack plugged into the helmet - it's hardly too challenging to get used to dealing with it. I just take the helmet off (e.g. in a restaurant) then throw the rest inside. The lead is quite long enough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, proper in-ear earphones are great. I have found (to a point) the more you are willing to spend the better they fit. Sound quality is a whole lot better too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snapzzz, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Don't bother with headphones, just get some super-bass speakers and pump out the music wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Snapzzz, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Don't bother with headphones, just get some super-bass speakers and pump out the music wink

What from the bottom of the mountain!!!! lol
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC wrote:
Dunno, they stay in your ears without a helmet, the pad just holds them tighter. If your helmet is slopping around it doesn't fit...

When i push my ear buds in the bottom piece where the wire comes out kinda sticks out away from your head. If you press this in then the speaker bit pops out of your ear. a bit like a see-saw effect.
i was concerned that the helmet would put pressure just there and continually just pop them out my ears.
I guess i will just have to try some.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, I spent a pile of cash on some once, and they still fell out and hury my ears. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, hubby and kids have the same problem, there are loads of pairs of unsuitable headphones in our house. Hubby has stolen my K2 ones for his own helmet. I hate headphones, I like to share my music with others.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got a helmet that is audio compatible, but as I haven't got the speaker bit for it, I just shove my existing earphones in to the holes where the speakers should go. Does the trick and I found it more comfy than having my headphones under the helmet as they were a little too uncomfy where the helmet earpads were pushing on the earphones. Not as bad with the helmet ear pads removed, but I then got one very cold ear (snowboarder)!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I usually ski with one earphone in, I haven't had any problems with using a helmet (with a Giro and a Sweet lid). In most helmets it'll only be the earflap over the ear, which isn't going to be as tightly fitted as the main shell, so you shouldn't have it being 'popped out.'
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The in ear ones are best for comfort and quality of the listning experience, the standard apple ones tend to fall out too much. Only down side to in ear ones is that they tend to get damaged easier if you snag your wire. Mind you I tend to buy cheapies anyway
latest report
Hells Bells, just for that, I'm going to spam you with my blog again: http://misplacedperson.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/i-said-turn-that-racket-down/ Laughing

I hope you're not 'sharing' rap music with everyone in your nice Monetier apartment building.
ski holidays
Snapzzz, I got a K2 helmet this year with built in headphones. Bit of a pain really with the wire, to the extent that I'll take the wire out for next trip. If however you like listening to music whilst skiing then they should do the job nicely
snow conditions
Quote:

I hope you're not 'sharing' rap music with everyone in your nice Monetier apartment building.

Oh please, credit me with more taste !!! Laughing
ski holidays
I got a K2 Clutch Pro last year, and it is brilliant. I wouldn't ski with an in the ear headphone in - blocks out way too much outside noise. The K2 I can set so that I can hear somebody shout a fair distance away, can have a conversation on the lift, but can hear the music fine and when I am just cruising it is right there.

Incredibly cheap as well at £50, you might as well get one wired for sound and if you don't like it just take the pads out - easily done undoing the velcro bits.

http://www.conspiracyclothing.co.uk/acatalog/K2_Clutch_Helmet_Pro_-_black_09_10.html

I don't even notice the wire - it goes from my ear inside my jacket to a pocket, what's to notice?
ski holidays
I got narked with having a cable so bought a bluetooth stereo headset which fits perfectly in my K2 helmet lining, I then bought a bluetooth transmitter (takes a standard 3.5mm stereo input) and then spliced my ipod and walkie talkie together and fed it in to that.

I've got all the cables and everything wired inside my jacket lining and the only thing showing is the waterproof mic for talking on the walkie talkie. I got a waterproof ipod remote so I can change track, pause and change volume. All I have to do is unplug the ipod, walkie talkie, blutooth transmitter and bluetooth headset and charge them overnight.

I can listen to music whilst riding and if anyone in our group calls out on the walkie talkie I get it over the top of my tunes.

If you want any details on any of the stuff I've got let me know and I'll give you model numbers and explain how it's all wired up. Took me freakin ages to work out how to do it but it is genius to use Smile

Oh one last thing, if you have a European ipod it will have had the volume levels restricted. If you do a seach for software called 'gopod' you can take the limit off (I found my ipod wasn't quite loud enough when limited for this solution)
snow report
Snapzzz, i've got the red hi-fi helmet.dont have the audio accesories, just put both ipod earphones into one side of the helmet, works a treat....

the helmet looks good too.... Cool

http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?Product=5795BD94-A59D-4F3C-BF78-C33E85D7E05C&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=pound&ref=base
snow conditions
Ive got a Bern Baker with 8 tracks audio (speakers in the ears) and the sound is great and the helmet looks a treat, the only problem i found is the earflaps seemed to crush my ears after prolonged use and i would say my ears are pretty small Sad Also the wire that comes with it is long enough to take off your helmet whilst it is still attached, plus the port on the helmet is like an extra strong one, that makes it alot harder for the cable to get pulled out.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 15-06-10 17:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've got a Technicals rucksak that has an iPod interface on one of the straps. The iPod sits in an insulated & padded pocket in the top, connects using the proper iPod interface, giving access to play/pause, forward/rewind, and volume. Headphones then plug in to a jack on the strap. I use earbud headphones, but there's no reason why it can't connect to speakers built-in to a helmet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy