Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

xmas break

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. I am thinking of treating the family to a skiing holiday over Xmas. There will be eight of us, and I am trying to do it on a budget. My plan was to get cheap flights to Geneva then drive to a nearby resort, no more than 2 hours away. I would like to book a log cabin, near to the ski lifts. Only 3 in our party can ski, hopefully the rest of us will learn by the end of the holiday. Can anyone suggest suitable locations/ski resorts/accomodation, as I am clueless.

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
honest7, welcome to SnowHeads. Christmas can be an expensive time to go skiing, although it is usually cheaper than New Year week. How many of the family are children, and what are their ages? Do you want a catered chalet or a self-catering one? The more information you can give us the better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

We are all adults, three sons and three partners plus hubby. I am stuck with taking holidays during the school holidays. I would like a self catering chalet, somewhere easy to get back to from the slopes. I have a dream of us all being huddled round a roaring log fire on a crisp cold evening. Sad I know! As I said before only 3 of us can ski, so somewhere where we could all have a go would be great.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would recommend flying into Grenoble and trying Les Deux Alpes. This resort is excellent for all abilities and only an hour and a half from Grenoble airport. There are plenty of accommodation options including le cret hotel, scuba ski to name but a few!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
honest7, Hi! Maybe you could try Flaine/Grand Massif area as this is only about 2 hours from Geneva but whether the snow will be great at that time is down to providence and the wind. We did Christmas 2 years ago in apts in Flaine and had great time, though Flaine is sadly not to everyone's taste with it being a bit [well a lot] concretey...Les Carroz is lower down and seems to have chalets etc etc as does Samoens which looked lovely, as does Morillon. Marcellus who posts here is a bit of a local expert, so you could try to private message him?
I am not sure what there is to do though in that area for non-skiers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I have a dream of us all being huddled round a roaring log fire on a crisp cold evening. Sad I know!

It's not sad at all, but what IS sad is that you are unlikely to get a roaring fire in a budget self-catering place, You are not likely to get a log cabin, either. I could recommend you a wonderful one, which I looked at for a family Christmas - until I discovered that in Christmas week it cost 3000 euros!

In practical terms, you are most likely to find an apartment in a biggish block. For 8 of you, you either need 4 bedrooms, or 3 bedrooms and 2 people sleeping in the living area. Few apartments have 4 bedrooms, and they tend to be expensive. 2 x 2 bedroom apartments in the same building might even work out cheaper.

Christmas isn't reliable for snow so although in some years most resorts have good snow, it's best to aim for somewhere with quite high slopes available, in case you hit a poor year for snow.

Christmas in the snow is great - far better than sitting at home watching too much TV!

Be careful about your flights. Cheap flights don't really exist at Christmas, and you'll need to time your travel to fit with the accommodation you book - it's no good booking something mid-week then not being able to find accommodation.

For the beginners, especially, good quality ski lessons will be important. Plenty of advice about that, and everything else, on here.

It's a shame you're stuck with the Christmas holidays - in mid January a holiday will cost half the price and there's more likely to be good snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It sounds like you want the cliche chocolate-boxy kindof thing, so the big French ski factories aren't really the place. Look into the smaller resorts in Switzerland and Austria, Hinterthal/Hochkoennig, Wagrain, the Stubai Valley area, maybe Samnaun (ski area linked to Ischgl's), Grindelwald and Adelboden. Worth looking into Kitzbuhel and Zermatt too, but they'll be harder to do on a budget.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy