Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Something to be cautious about when hiring from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
This is really only relevant if you returning the car before the desks open early in the morning (seems to be 6am ish) and is probably something that experienced rental car users would do anyway.......

Anyway story goes like this

Arranged everything at the hire rental desk in terminal, one piece of damage noted on the roof of car.

go to carpark 51 on bus, inspect car, loads of damage not on form, so get hire company employee to note all the extra damage on the form.

As i was very late (easyjet was late) off i go skiing

Return car at 5.30am 5 days later, the key drop just has a slot for keys, with no documents to include as well. (had copied the damage form)

So leave copy behind desk in terminal in envelope. (desk was closed at time, doesn't seem to be a post box)

When i got home sent an enquiry about the rental on the website, but no reply at all............

6 days later get invoice for £650 damage i had done! (most of the extra damage was not noted however which calls into question the post rental inspection process.

Lots of phone calls later finally I get a letter stating has been wavied, hope you will use us again. which i won't as their customer service is appalling.

My advice would be if you are returning car before the desks open, and you find extra damage, GO BACK TO THE RENTAL DESK IN THE TERMINAL, no matter how late you are, I know its a pain, but it avoids all the extra stress.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carroz, it's commonly known as the "English tax"... have had a similar claim attempted against me having had the car inspected on its return... Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guys, even though it's more or less underground, go round the car with the video on your mobile (or photos). Always take up any scratches not not noted immediately. Same applies if you're in a car crash, if you remember, take immediate photos.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once got a puncture en route back to Geneva. No jack in the hire car!! With time very pressing, no choice but to drive miles on the flat tyre to exit the motorway - knowing that I'd be trashing the tyre.....Then borrowed a jack from another car and made it to the airport, by which time it was a mad dash for the flight (130kph on a space saver wheel marked "Max Speed 90kph".....Skullie)

In our rush we explained to the car hire bods what had happened. They showed us the (empty) compartment in the boot where the jack should have been but agreed that there wasn't one. We even had our copy of the return receipt form signed to say what had happened.

Despite that, my credit card was charged the maximum excess of £750 Shocked Shocked while they calculated the cost of a replacement tyre. Turns out that the car hire broker that I used (despite a co.uk web address) was based in the USA and was more than happy to side with the rental firm (Budget). Despite my protestations, representations etc Budget argued that there had been a jack - and suggested that I must have used it to change the wheel then thrown it away to cover up the fact that I had had wrecked the tyre Evil or Very Mad. They even helpfully e mailed a photo of the little compartment in the boot - naturally complete with jack. They ended up reducing the excess to £250, which was supposedly the cost of a new tyre for a big Mazda Shocked , at which point the broker said there was nothing more that they could do. End of story Sad .

So now we check every hire car to make sure that there is a jack....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My mate is a branch manager for a UK national rental company. The staff get paid a bonus for spotting damage that can be charged for.

His advice is to pay the CDW and treat it as part of the rental cost.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Simply write a series of increasingly ludicrous and sarcastic emails until they refund the money they have stolen from you as an act of 'mgoodwill'.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64467

(I never got the extra £1.93, they reneged on it.)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker wrote:
My mate is a branch manager for a UK national rental company. The staff get paid a bonus for spotting damage that can be charged for.

His advice is to pay the CDW and treat it as part of the rental cost.

A round about way to increase rental company income, finally out in the open!!!

Rental company wants you to pay more for the same hire. So they invent all sort of "demages" until peeps got so tired of it they just paid the extra "CDW"!

That being the spirit of the "advice".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't dream of hiring a car without CDW
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pretty much all European car rental feels like a scam waiting to happen from dark parking lots where there is no chance of inspecting damage pre commencement to overly narrow parking bays which breed scratches (step forward old GVA car hire) to the "late pick up fees" when the desk is still attended. Its often impossible to get someone to inspect your car even if they are there.

Curiously the same companies have a much more relaxed approach in the US. Fully inclusive means fully inclusive and check-in and inspection is hassle free with a bloke with a pda doing a brief walkaround of your car then printing a receipt while you unload. Simples.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We get a cover for the year it costs the same for the year as it does for a week with Hertz. A no brainer for us as we hire about 5-6 times a year!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Roy Hockley, me too. Mine is from www.insurance4carhire.co.uk

Mind you, I've hired many, many times without excess waiver and never had a problem including once when I did actually bump the car Embarassed and they signed off without noticing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Somebody I know once rented a car and noticed a small scratch on the door pane after leaving the airport. Phoned the company, was told "no problem, we'll make a note of it".

That same someone later proceeded to take a tight turn around a very narrow street corner. The one brick sticking out from the corner of a house resulted in a serious scratch on that door pane.

The rental company never charged him...so if one is lucky, things even out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian wrote:
including once when I did actually bump the car Embarassed and they signed off without noticing.

was that the snowbank incident on the way back from La Grave? i couldn't believe that didn't damage the car!
snow report
 brian
brian
Arno, no, I'd forgotten about that one. (I wasn't driving then anyway). This was in Leukerbad, very tight car park, gave it a dent and scratch on the front wing. A local garage in Grimentz knocked the dent out a bit but it was still pretty noticeable.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nickski, absolutely agree. I take 5 views on picking up the car (I include the roof) and close-ups of any obvious damage. I repeat this at drop-off. A set of digital photos costs nothing.
snow conditions
Just take 2 sets of photo at pick up time, from slightly different angle.

If there's any arguement of demage, show them the 2 sets, one taken at pick up and one taken at return. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy