Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Face of the Aiguille Blanche de Peuterey skied

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this has been reported all ready so apologies if it has.

Second descent of the aiguille blanche de peuterey & it's taken 30 years since stefano de benedetti's original descent. Not sure of the exact details as I learned about it elsewhere & i don't speak italian so am unable to find out the specifics due to this but to give you an idea of how serious it is here's a picture of the nth face. Most serious impressive descent of the year? Certainly a contender.

& here's the video of the italians on it
Aig Blanche ski descent from Luca Rolli
http://vimeo.com/12465276
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kudos to those dudes.

It is a 5.3 descent and fairly steep.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is some HUGE exposure!! Snow conditions look perfect though, you couldn't really hope for better. Any ideas how steep it is, 55/60 degrees? The bottom pitch (below the abseil) looks to be the steepest...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
frank4short, Cool, was wondering when someone would pull that out of the bag - there have been a few attempts in recent years - some French guys had a bit of an epic on there a few years back - can't remember if any of them skied it though.
Cordier route (or thereabouts) on the Courtes gets my vote for descent of the year, though the Blanche is right up there & certainly way more complex in terms of access & exit...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Impressive.

But let me get this straight, the first guy to ski that did it on his own?!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
30 years since the last descent - you have to wonder what sort of gear it was originally done on.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
30 years since the last descent - you have to wonder what sort of gear it was originally done on.

and you could guarantee that snowheads would say it was the wrong gear wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, sure as hell wasn't ski boards Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm pretty sure the original descent is covered in the 'Steep' movie with an recent interview and original footage of the Italian chap. I looks steep in that !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, same mountain, different line
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, The line the Italian took in Steep, mostly rock to the left side on the still above ?

Just watched the video link above, def steep.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 13-06-10 20:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First section looked fab.

Abseil not so much.

Kudos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, that's it
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hardly any skiing in it, dont see the point other than to say you have done it
latest report
That was rad.
Go italia.
Interesting double pole plant jump turns.

Quote:
Hardly any skiing in it,

Only a few 1000m

Quote:
dont see the point other than to say you have done it

A bit like any form of mountaineering ?
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

"old skool stuff" more of a "paddle turn" as it was called way back
ski holidays
ChrisWo, de benidetti indeed did ski the NE face line alone, though he climbed it with someone else, who presumably downclimbed it...
latest report
geeo, 'extreme' ski mountaineering is certainly an acquired taste. But seeing a face or line in the distance and thinking 'wow, that looks amazing! I wonder if I can ski that?' for some triggers an urge to give it a go. The process of waiting for conditions and weather and the process of preparing physically and mentally for the descent is very motivating and focussing (and sometimes frustrating). And when the day comes to ski it, the sense of purpose, the focus required and the resulting feeling of being 'at one with the mountain' makes it a truly satisfying experience.

Making good precision turns on steep and exposed slopes is a real joy too - different to charging in deep pow, but they still feel great (often they feel much better than they look!)
snow conditions
geeo wrote:
Hardly any skiing in it, dont see the point other than to say you have done it

Jeez this is a tough crowd that video is awesome.
There seemed a reasonable ammount of skiing in it even if the technique is a bit ugly to watch at the top. This seems a hell of a lot more of a challenge than hopping in a copter and straight lining down.

As a non mountaineer/maggot if the second guy abseils down do they leave whatever anchored them at the top?
snow conditions
Pussy... Should have hucked the cliff!
latest report
betterinblack, Most likely they dug down to the permanent ice under the snow and rapped off a V-thread.

A V-thread is when you use an ice screw to make 2 angled inwards bore-holes that meet at the back, and then you leave a short piece of thin rope threaded through the 'V'... (sorry if teaching to suck eggs!)

And yes, you are right, it is quite a different thing to do this sort of ski mountaineering to heli dropped stuff in AK. Both are awesome, just different IMO...
latest report
I guess the other thing about the video is that it was shot by the skiers themselves, and it is not easy to do that on 50+ degree slopes! So by no means will all the skiing on the face be included in the film - just short editted sections....
latest report
That is absolutely amazing. Kudos
ski holidays
Is this the same face?

http://blog.jonessnowboards.com/2009/05/the-alpsextreme-camp/

Potential snowboard attempt....
snow conditions
the picture at the bottom of the blog post is the same face....

Looks like that blog is posted by the Jeremy Jones - a very good boarder!!

It's nice to see top freeriders like Seth Morrison and Jones thinking lines like NF tour ronde and aiguille blanche are 'gnarly' and freak them out a bit!
snow conditions
Just noticed that this blog was posted in 09....pretty sure he didn't do it in the end.
ski holidays
So maybe i was a little harsh... im sure they did get to ski plenty of vertical after the jump turns, just the video didn't impress me much Smile and my imagintaion was lacking when i watched it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pic of Stefano De Benedetti on the North Face of Mount Blance, from the movie Steep.
http://www.tetonat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/stefano-de-benedetti-on-the-north-face-of-mount-blance-600x396.jpg

http://www.tetonat.com/2010/06/second-descent-of-the-aguille-blance-de-peuterey/
ski holidays
RESPECT!!
latest report
DB, Yep, that original line looks crazy. The line in the saddle looks easy in comparison.
ski holidays
double pole plant jump turn on the real exposed steep stuff is classic Remy Lecluse, and as he's still alive that's sold it for me. Provides a stable safe (relative) platform when you really really dont want to fall.
snow conditions
DB, there's a great comment on that second link where someone is complaining:
Quote:
not impressed with their (hesitant, stiff) skiing technique

?????
"Sorry boys, get back up there again and rip it freeride styley, any sign of a jump turn and there'll be big trouble...." Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
offpisteskiing, the debate about use of helmets also reminded me of somewhere Laughing
snow report
This line was first skied by Anselm Baud and Patrick Vallencant in 1977, at least according to Anselm's book. De Benedetti skied a variant on this line in 1980 and then skied the line on the left of the photos above in 1984. That line is even more insane. Hilariously, Anselm features both lines in "Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles Rouges - a guide for skiers", as though some gringo like me might buy the book and then head up and ski it. It hasn't been repeated AFAIK and prob never will be - global warming means a lot of those lines set down in the 70s and 80s are a lot harder to do now because there's never enough snow on them.

The section of Steep is here, from about 5.20 in:

http://youtube.com/v/2Kdn-vtOsco&feature=related

The Aiguille Blanche actually appears about 5.50, with no snow on the second line Benedetti skied, the cliff to the left of the couloir. You can see Anselm and Patrick skiing the line the Italians are skiing here at about 9 mins.

I love Benedetti's commentary in this part of the film, really sums up why we go into the mountains and the attraction of extreme skiing (albeit I've never been in a position where if I fall I die, seriously hurt maybe Laughing ). But you do feel like a little Superman when you come off something you know you shoudn't have Very Happy And you never feel more alive than when you think you might have been close to death...
snow conditions
Some words from the 2 guys here:

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/news/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=37454#

Are there any other 1st descents by Stefano De Benedetti that have yet to be skied again ?
snow conditions
Wow. I don't remember seeing the OP video when it came out. My bowels felt very free when watching the first turns on the descent Toofy Grin
snow conditions
No helmets! Only a small chance of other skiers colliding with you I suppose. Little Angel
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Are there any other 1st descents by Stefano De Benedetti that have yet to be skied again ?

Prob a good few, like the one to lookers left of the line skiied in the above video. I mean it looks like a rock cliff, but if you look at the photos at the start of the Italian's video you'll see one of them when there's a lot of snow on the face.

They say global warming has made it harder to do some of the lines done in the 70s and 80s as they're much more rarely in condition. I think a lot of the lines on the Italian side you also have to really climb to get to. Here's a video from Jeremy Jones 'Deeper' where they try to board the same line done by the Italians here and you get an impression of how hard it is even to get to the line. You really have to have a climbing ethic also. Its not like some of the other lines in that range which are closer to the Aiguille du Midi lift:

http://www.outsidetelevision.com/shows/jeremy-jones-deeper/blanche-de-peuterey-episode-6

Just to say that both that video and the Italian's video say that Benedetti was the only one to ski that line, but as per the video I posted above, Baud and Vallencant skied the face before him, I think Benedetti's was the second descent and the first to go down the spine in the middle (the Grivel route).

There have definitely been a couple of repetitions of some of his lines, like the Mont Blanc West Face Benedetti direct route, there's another video of that floating around, its a line that goes from the summit of Mont Blanc down somewhere to the right of the face here and has been done a few times as far as I know (look at Tobias Granath's site for some more madness - http://www.tobiasgranath.com/group.asp?catID=311).

Personally I think that face, the blanche de peuterey is the most daunting looking thing I've ever seen that's been skiied. It looks like death, a broad, gaping death. And the thought of those dudes going down them in the 80s, on crap gear, and in Benedetti's case, alone, is incredible. The guy is a hero!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 19-05-12 23:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

"old skool stuff" more of a "paddle turn" as it was called way back

sorry guys but at a 60% pitch would you want your skis down the fall line for very long?

Awesome video made me feel a bit sick to be honest.

Andy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy