Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in the summer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A while ago I posted (in AZ) plans for a summer driving tour over a few alpine passes and I was wondering what skiing will be available? Tentative dates are August 26th - September 2nd. Availability of a bit of summer skiing would influence our route. So can anyone advise me?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Come and visit me! Seriously though, we ski Kitsteinhorn all over the summer and I think that late in the summer it could be very limited up there, plus a few of the lifts are always taken by race groups. Skiing is IME great til abou 11 ish, then time to go down and swim in the lake or go biking. Saas Fee/Zermatt are fantastic, the last 3 years my son was up there and said the snow was amazing, but they did lose a couple of days to the weather.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
halfhand, that's about the worst time for summer skiing, if it's a hot, dry summer there'll be precious little snow left on the glaciers by then. Anyway the complete list would appear to be:

France - 2 Alpes and Tignes both close at the end of August, Val d'Isere much earlier, no other summer skiing left.

Switzerland - Zermatt (also accessible from Cervinia) and Saas Fee will both be open, no other summer skiing left.

Italy - Passo Stelvio and Val Senales (plus Cervinia access to Zermatt) will be open, Presena (Passo Tonale) closes end of June.

Austria - Dachstein, Hintertux, Kaunertal, Kaprun, Moelltal, Pitztal, Soelden, Stubai, should all be open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Norway is worth considering although since the ferry from Newcastle stopped in sept 2008 its a long (but beautiful) drive.

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Articles/Theme/What-to-do/Active-holiday/Skiing-in-Norway/Skiing-at-the-peak-of-summer/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
halfhand, like brian said, that is about the worst time of year to be going skiing! Of course you can get lucky and have a dump of snow at any time of year, but generally it's hardly worth the effort ( or the money ). The best of the Austrian glaciers for summer is Hintertux if you really must go, where they usually have skiing from the top of Gefrorene-Wand down to the Tuxerfernerhaus (middle station), but the glacier ain't a pretty sight at that time of year. Be warned!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah well. It was just a thought. The main aim of the trip is to pretend to be the top gear team whizzing up and down the alps in a couple of 911s and a lotus evora. I just thought it may be an option.

Of course allure of lake swimming with DAB could prove irresistible Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, xxxx I do have space for you guys!! Can you fit your skis in a 911????????hehe
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy