Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please advise a new boy...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am a recent convert to skiing, I had a few lessons on a dry slope here ealry in the year followed by a week in Bulgaria in February.

Since I got back I have tried a couple of dry ski slopes and the Snodrome at Milton Keynes. In Bulgaria, I learnt on straight skis for 6 days and used carvers on day 7. At the Snodrome I used carvers again and felt I had really cracked the parallel turns, I was doing them without any snow plough to initiate them. Then recently I went to a dry ski centre in Bracknell, it was a warm dry day and I used 160 carvers instead of my usual 170. I had a very bad time, I kept falling over, I could not parallel turn, felt out of control and got very frustrated.

Was it due to the change of skis do you think ? I have skied there before but that time it was raining and I used straight 170s.

Any advice welcome. Confused

Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mike.healy, hello, good morning and welcome to snowHeads!

To be frank, I'd keep up with the ski instruction at this early stage. Any minor differences in equipment won't throw you if your technique is sound, and I think you may be experiencing a few early hiccups in the way you're turning the skis.

It sounds boring, but several weeks of serious ski instruction from great instructors will give you really firm foundations for the future - and good instruction should be fun, too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was probably due to it being a dry slope on a warm day. They are a poor substitute for snow at the best of times, and particulary so when they are 'dry'. A good dose of rain makes them more slippery, and some have sprinkler systems to do just that.

I would not worry about it, but if you are just go back to the Snowdome where it will all come together again and restore your confidence Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, forgot to say - welcome to Snowheads!! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am by no means a great skier, more an advanced intermediate, but I too went to a dry ski slope with a friend who was a first timer before flying out to Alp d'Huez this Jan. I normally use 160's on snow but was surprised when it was suggested that I use 140's on the dry ski slope. However, I was surprised that my technique wasn't too badly compromised. I think in these early stages it may be better if you stick to one medium ie: the snowdome.

Quote:

A good dose of rain makes them more slippery, and some have sprinkler systems to do just that.

The dry ski slope I went to had the sprinklers but I found they don't make it anywhere near as good as the white stuff.

All the best, stick with it, it is well worth it in the end.... and welcome to snowheads Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mike.healy, welcome to snowHeads!

I think we probably all have frustrating days, balanced out by days when it all seems to come together. Overall, especially with decent instruction, you will improve steadily. I don't think the length of skis will have had anything to do with your bad day!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mike.healy,Welcome to snowheads.
On my dry slope most people ski on a slightly shorter ski's than on snow. So 160cm should be OK. I suspect that what you experienced is the same that many of us do on snow when the condition change i.e. become icy heavy etc. often this has an effect on the quality of our skiing. The same can be said for those of us who regularly ski on plastic the first couple of times after you return from a snow trip it is pretty horrible. I would suggest that you persevere with the dry slope a little longer and may be take some lessons.Skiing on the dry slope often requires more accuracy than on snow as the skis do not skid as easily.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-04-05 7:44; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mike.healy, welcome to Snowheads Blush Blush Blush
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mike.healy, Welcome to snowheads. I concur with kevinrhead, . Most people who have problems on dry slopes find that it's because they are cheating their turns, using their body (rotation) and skidding the skis. This doesn't really work on plastic. Stick with it though, because it's better for your technique, and will help more in the long run than the snowdome. Do take some lessons though - that'll help a lot.

ps: when I worked at Sandown we used to hide in the office and giggle at all the people who tipped up on the second turn after insisting that lessons were not for them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Kevin, I think you may have hit the nail on the head, ie I am skidding the skis, what is the proper way to turn then ?

Mike
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mike.healy, My interpretation is that with carver skis you are looking to use the shape of the ski to make the turn. In carving turns this is achieved by putting the skis on the edge and applying pressure. This is best achieved with some momentum down the fore line and with the skis hip width apart then moving the hips across the skis. This is over simplifying it and there are several exercises to help achieve this and this is where some lessons would come in handy. I am not 100% happy with my above explanation but no doubt other will put it in better terms or totally disagree.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 6-04-05 10:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Basically a carved turn is obtained by tilting the ski on its edge. Since the ski is narrower in the middle your pressure on the ski makes it bend into a curve so the middle of the ski can be on the snow again. The ski then simply runs along this curve which becomes the arc of the turn. Initiating the turn without skidding it is probably the hardest part: once you start a skid its hard to turn it into a carve.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can see in this pics that the ski is titled over so only the edge is running on the snow

http://nbt.valdiseretrip.fotopic.net/p10848456.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, but you can still skid on a tilted ski (though it's much easier to carve on "carving" skis than the old type).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Thanks Kevin and David. I'm new to using forums, actually it was Charlotte who seemed to hit the nail on the head. I guess it's OK to "cheat" your turns when the snow surface is good but I'll come a cropper in adverse conditions, oui ? Incidentally, I've bought a training video on Ebay (couldn't find any on Amazon) it hasn't arrived yet but it might answer a few questions.
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess it's OK to "cheat" your turns when the snow surface is good

Certainly there's a wide variation in the behaviour of skiing surfaces (including quite a contrast between different artificial surfaces). Sheet ice can be a challenge, because it encourages the skidding of the ski. Plastic ski slopes tend to have similar properties, but there are very effective ways of skiing sheet ice or plastic. Deep crud, or even powder, can present the opposite challenge because it doesn't allow the 'cheating' of skidding a turn. It requires a fairly pure 'carve'.

One of the key things you can learn from sustained instruction is the ability to separate the actions of the upper and lower body. The key component of ski technique is maintaining a calm non-rotating upper body, while the feet rotate to turn the skis.

Many people fall into the habit of rotating the upper body, which certainly turns skis but can be really problematic when the surface conditions aren't user-friendly.
Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-04-05 10:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

In Bulgaria, I learnt on straight skis for 6 days and used carvers on day 7.

I cannot believe that (even in Eastern Europe) they still hire out straight skis! You could have progressed so much quicker on a decent pair of beginners' carvers.

What resort was it that you went to? Did you get the cheapest hire package going? Did you have to pay for an upgrade to carvers on day 7?
ski holidays
I went with Neilson and took a "Learn to Ski" package. I didn't know what carvers were on Day 1. On day 7 we had a late flight home, most poeple had left for home so the ski school hired us the boots and skis for £20 each (plus a 1 day lift pass about £27 for us but £12 for Bulgarians!). We were in Borovets; lukewarm food (I'll eat anything), gondola not working for first 3 days (I was still snowploughing so that didn't matter) followed by long (1 hour) queues but lots of white stuff and yes, it was cheap for a pakage deal. We have to go somehwere low cost because we have to go in half term week, haven't decided if its Borovets or somewhere else for next year. I'm happy to go anywhere and book at the last minute but I must have snow all week.
ski holidays
Quote:

long (1 hour) queues

*****!!!! I've never been in a one hour queue, even in Meribel, the crossroads of the Three Valleys! That is dreadful. I've not been myself, but you do hear bad things about Borovets, and I think your experience is typical.

Anyway welcome to skiing, I hope you enjoyed it! If cost is your overriding consideration you are unlikely to beat eastern europe, altho Andorra, Italy and Austria can be cheap.

And as far as improving your technique is concerned, I wouldn't waste too much cash on videos etc. There is no substitute for lessons on snow. Dry slopes are okay: you get the idea, but not the point. If you really can't wait until next season book some lessons at your nearest indoor snow zone.
snow report
Quote:

Dry slopes are okay: you get the idea

Don't be put off dryslopes. If you can find a GOOD instructor, you will progress on the mat. It's (much) cheaper than indoor snow. Do have lessons tho', best not to waste money and time reinforcing bad habits. rolling eyes
snow report
mike.healy, Congratulations on persevering through that little lot! As that hasn't put you off, I hope we'll hear from you in a year or two when you've had a good holiday, on reasonable equipment, in a decent resort (which doesn't have to be expensive). I know a lot of people who go once and never again because of a bad experience. You have heaven waiting for you - I'm quite envious. Go for it.
ski holidays
mike.healy, You should complain to Nielsons about the skis - it's unacceptable nowadays to give people straight skis - they're more than 10 years out of date. Also £20 per day for skis a boots for the last day - here the shops charge about €20, and we're a big resort. £27 for a day pass is €39 - I don't think any of the big French resorts would charge that much. It sounds to me as though Borovets is not the bargain it's made out to be. What about Slovenia - much better developed, and probably quite cheap.

For saving money in the holiday time (this must mean you have minis): you should think about staying in the valley near a large ski ares or areas. You can even camp if you have a caravan. If you drive over to Europe then (using Speedferries) you can save loads of money and can drive up to resort every day. This can save you loads. Book independently - NEVER with a TO in the hols. BTW beware of Tignes who charge a fortune for parking.
latest report
easiski, if the skis are that old and have been used every season I'm surprised ther's any edges or bases left.
snow report
What I didn't mention on my first post on the 4th April was the sub-luxus of the acromio clavicular that I suffered on the dry ski slope (a partially dislocated collar bone) nearly better now though, went to tennis on Saturday but I couldn't qute achieve the full Federer, I had to modify my serve (to underarm) and I decided that one set was enough for the time being, luckily all was still well on Sunday morning. My next goal is to return to Milton Keynes to get my confidence back (the powder is also a lot less risky than the upturned broom).

That video I bought on ebay was a complete waste of money - I think the whole thing was filmed in a blizzard. Anyone recommend a DVD or video that offers plenty of technical analysis and not just films of peole enjoying themselves ?

Mike
latest report
There was a BASI video called I believe, Exploding Skiing, the idea was that it exploded all the myths about skiing.
snow conditions
Have to admit I haven't seen it yet. But its put together by some very good trainers.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/video.html
snow report
mesk1 wrote:
Have to admit I haven't seen it yet. But its put together by some very good trainers.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/video.html

I've got it and think it is very good. Phil Smith is a first class instructor, and this translates very easily onto DVD. I think it's the best ski instruction video that I've seen.
latest report
easiski,

A friend of mine goes regularly to Bulgaria...no, I don't know why as I would have thought once would be ok and then move on..but there you go.
Anyway, he recently got back from VD and was surprised at the expense of the skis and passes and when I asked him what skis he was on, he said he didn't know ( Orange Rossi's ?? )but they were bloody fast... I took this to mean that VD had equipnment lights years ahead ahead of Bulgaria. So I am not surprised about the story of skis in Bulgaria.

mike.healy,

I would continue with Lessons and practice on a dry slope or better still MK. That way you should have a head start on next season.

The problem, as with most sports in the early days, is trying to do some pretty un-natural things with skis and muscle memory is the key.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy