Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Pila dans l'aeroplane

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking into heading out to Pila this summer to fall off my bike. Looks like we'd probably fly and I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about where best to fly to and transfers etc. We usually drive places and on the rare ocassion we have flown, it's been with a TO so never had to sort transfers out ourselves. Any help is much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can get a flight to Turin, it should be easy enough to get to Aosta by bus or train and then assuming the gondola lift is running, you take that up to Pila.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Turin airport is the closest. I think its about an hour and a half away. Easyjet have cut their fflights their in the summer, but I believe BA, Easyjet and Ryanair all fly from London airports to Turin in the summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fly to Turin, 1.5 hours by train to Aosta. Stay in Aosta. Bubble up to Pila runs all year around.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best place around for fallin off a bike. Save some energy for the end of day derby down the amazing home run into Aosta.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could pick your cheapest Italian airport, and get an internal connection straight into Aosta. Don't think you'd be able to do it direct. The Interski head honcho was saying they are looking at Winter charters as an alternative to Turin/Geneva.

http://www.avda-aosta.it/default_eng.asp
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Turin in May a couple of years back and the gondola was closed - despite looking like it was open on the website. You can go by road (taxi) from Aosta, it's a twisty one, but not that far.

Lots of connections by bus from Turin and not very expensive.

Lovely area, but Pila itself is not very exciting - the mountains are of course, which is probably all you are interested in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
or hire a car at turin it is about 1 hour drive to Aosta then you can explore the whole area, loads of great wine in that area as well as biking
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, Haha, if you like Fizzy Red wine, it's awesome.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, there are some decent torrete's around there, the bog standard stuff is pretty lame but the superiore ...now that is worth hunting out...not fizzy at all next time you are over there go to the caves du onze comune's in amiville (sp)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hadn't thought of hiring a car, could be an option. Other people we're going with have a van too so we could chuck all the bikes in the back of that if we wnated to go away for a day or something. The only problem is now i've heard there might not be enough riding to keep us entertained for the week, but that issue isn't really something for this forum. Cheers for the help.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
el nombre, chamonix is less than 1 hour away , and another 40 mins and you could be in morzine/les gets so loads more riding than you would ever need I am sure others can give more suggestions too
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Best place around for fallin off a bike.

Good to know Very Happy

We are very keen (XC) bikers and are always on the look out for new ideas. We usually manage a trip to the Alps in summer and have had some great riding in Chamonix, verbier, Les Arcs, Samoens, Les Gets, Morzine, tignes and the 3 Valleys.

Are the trails in the Aosta Valley/Pila marked? Is there much variety/singletrack/technical stuff? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister, have a look at www.pila.it The cable car from Aosta opens for the summer on the 26th of June and runs until September(ish). There is lots of downhill and free ride available in the bike park. The XC is also challenging this is a like to the trail map www.pila.it/materiali/documenti/sfondo_crosscountry.pdf Very Happy

Plus, being in Aosta, you are close to France or Switzerland if a day trip takes your fancy. Depending on when your there, my old man might be too, he spends the summer there for the riding!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM wrote:
el nombre, chamonix is less than 1 hour away , and another 40 mins and you could be in morzine/les gets so loads more riding than you would ever need I am sure others can give more suggestions too

Chamonix might be worth a look but done Morzine a few times. Kind of bored of being rattled to bits on all the braking bumps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy