Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Road trip to Italian Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so im taking a road trip to Campione d'italia and was wondering what the best route to take is? I'd like to stop of at points of interest along the way, any beautiful scenery, nice towns and villages stuff like that. I'm sure there was a thread around here covering this same topic but i couldn't find it??

Anyone got any tips or advice for such a trip feel free to chip in your 2 cents.

hash
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would recommend a few days in the Aosta valley, it's a beautiful place. Aosta itself is great for chilling out, with some lovely prosecco bars. There's at least one rafting company in Villenueve (with camping accommodation and an onsite bar) who'll take you out on various sections of the Dora Baltea, which is fed by the glaciers of Mont Blanc, and plenty of awesome climbing and bouldering about too. Courmayeur, at the end of the valley, could also be worth a visit (and Chamonix for that).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had to look up Campione d'Italia on the map - looks like a fascinating little place.

We drove down last year from Geneva to Brig and over the Simplon pass into Italy - there's a really eerie feel at the top, just the sound of cow bells but no cows that we could actually see, and no people either. There's an odd and very large stone statue of an eagle dominating one side of the pass, and on the other what looks like a monastery or a hospice. We walked for about eight kilometers up the peak on the right, but never saw a single cow. You're over 2000m high and the views are magnificent.

Descending into Italy, we camped near Domodossola, no great shakes as a town, and then took the car by ferry across Lake Maggiore from Verbania to Laveno - the ferry costs about 10e, runs regularly, and the lake is beautiful. From Laveno to Campione doesn't look too far on the map.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hashstar, I'd agree with FranzKlammer, about the Simplon .. although I'd do Lake Lugano and/or Como in preference to Maggiore ,,, although crowded to buggery in the peak summer months ... you could take 2 weeks over that trip and see beautiful places ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hashstar, just got back from a trip to Lake Lugano, but didn't drive all the way from UK, flew into Basel airport and picked up a car to drive across Switzerland (the most interesting bit).
Any route you take from UK is bound to pass through Switzerland, you'll need to buy a 2010 Swiss motorway sticker (Sfr40) but there are some beautiful places to stop on or near the route, I stopped at Lauterbrunnen (a bit of a detour) on the way out and Lucerne & Tellsplatte on the way back. Looks like the quickest route is from Calais-Reims-Metz-Strasbourg-Basel-Lucerne-Gotthard tunnel-Lugano-Campione. There are probably some interesting places to stop in France too in the Champagne region and Alsace (Riquewihr, Haut-Koenigsbourg).
Here are some photos from my trip to whet your appetite:

Lauterbrunnen waterfalls

View from Tellsplatte across Urnersee

Covered wooden bridge in Lucerne

Lake Lugano north shore

Some of the best scenery IMHO was around Lake Lugano and Lake Como as the Alps meets the Mediterranean.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh how I love Alpine lakes. What beautiful photos.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the great reponses guys! Beautiful piccs luigi.

Im gonna try and work out a provisional route later today so keep the ideas coming and ill show you what ive come up with spo far later
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy